Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Lmfao yes he did. San Jose offered more money.

John Tavares signs with Toronto Maple Leafs

“Encouraged by the meeting, San Jose proceeded to offer a seven-year, $84 million contract to Tavares and reportedly upped it to seven years, $91 million on Saturday morning (via David Pagnotta of TheFourthPeriod). However, even that was not enough, as Tavares proceeded to take significantly less to play for his hometown Maple Leafs”

Idk about you but $14 million less is a major concession...

What's his cap hit?

Reactions: BlessThisMess513

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What's his cap hit?
What does it matter?

But hey ill play along.

28 year old CENTER John Tavares, who had played in 669 games before signing with Toronto; his cap hit is $11 million per year.

He turned down an offer of $91 million over 7 years from SJ. A $13 million cap hit. $2 million per year concession.

I guess its out of this world insane to think Panarin could go from $11.5 to $10 to sign with the team he wants to. Youre totally right. Why did I not see it sooner?

All hail the great Beserk. He knows the way. Like Moses.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Panarin is better than Kessel, he makes players better around him. I feel like I'm going crazy.... Just watch the guy play.

Brad Richards? Besides him being no where close to the talent of Panarin, he fell off at 33. He's a guy that did not fit the speed of the NHL and relied heavily on PP production. Nash? really? Maybe concussions had something to do with it? You can tell when certain players wont age well ( We had our fair share, Callahn, Girardi, Staal etc ). Panarin is not one of them and there's no connection to guys like Richards or Nash.

I feel like I've heard this a billion times.

Oh Shattenkirk won't age like the others!
Nash is huge and doesn't have a ton of playoff miles on him, he won't age like the others!
Richards will age well! His hockey sense is so elite that it won't matter as much (He hit 90 points twice btw, something that Panarin has never done.)

FWIW, I was in favor of the last 2 moves because they came at the right time.

IF there is any gap between him and Kessel it's very small, you underrated Kessel's playmaking ability but okay, if you want to give Panarin the edge there thats fair, but at least acknowledge that Kessel is the better goal scorer. Both guys are suited to be the third wheel on a contending team.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
What does it matter?

But hey ill play along.

28 year old CENTER John Tavares, who had played in 669 games before signing with Toronto; his cap hit is $11 million per year.

He turned down an offer of $91 million over 7 years from SJ. A $13 million cap hit. $2 million per year concession.

I guess its out of this world insane to think Panarin could go from $11.5 to $10 to sign with the team he wants to. Youre totally right. Why did I not see it sooner?

All hail the great Beserk. He knows the way. Like Moses.

Uhh Yeah, it does matter. Tavares didn't take a home town discount to play there.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That doesnt count as a home town discount? Leaving $14 million on the table from SJ?

Lolzzzzz stop it

When your cap hit is 12 million a year. No, that's not a discount.

Especially when you factor in that he'll make more than that 14 million in endorsements by playing Toronto.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Shattenkirk conceded on money and term..Tavares didn't take the highest offer, but he still got the max term and wore leaf PJ's as a kid.

I don't think Panarin has the same desire to play with the Rangers. If it's more about a city than a team, there is one within the same area who can afford him financially and provide him with an environment to compete right away, not to mention that team also has a head coach with a strong record with high profile Russians (who will vouch for him, these guys do talk) and if he wants to stay out of the limelight, there are few things more anonymous than being a New York Islander.

And I'll repeat it until it does or doesn't happen, but watch out for Philly here. They have so much cap space and a reasonably strong team that kind of needs to start winning now.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
IMO Panarin is going to take the Kucherov deal if he signs in FLA at $9.5M.

FLA is going to have ~$25M in space with the cap space going up, and Luongo "retiring".

I would expect Bob ends up there as well, with a deal below the Price contract, but around Henrik's.

FLA will still need to fill out depth roles, and they have maybe 2 forward prospects who can take a step, but their defense is still 3 deep, and a couple of service hands.

I went to a bunch of games in FLA this season- that arena is not a downtown arena, and it's fairly dead. If FLA decides to be a cap team (and they can, their owner is loaded), FLA is going to be a team that doesn't turn a profit without a deep playoff run. Drawing fans to that arena is a tough ask because it's essentially a 5 hour a night commitment for people to get there and back from the more densely populated arenas.

Also- the market that they are in, is not a hockey market. Plain and simple. I loved my time down there, but it is not anything close to a hockey market.

If Panarin signs there, it's for the lifestyle.

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
When your cap hit is 12 million a year. No, that's not a discount.

Especially when you factor in that he'll make more than that 14 million in endorsements by playing Toronto.

He left 2 million/year on the table - of course it's a discount.

But, since we're talking semantics ("endorsements" in Toronto vs. San Jose) then maybe you should consider the considerably higher tax rate in Ontario vs. the United States as well when making these types of arguments.

Tavares took less to play where he wanted to play. It's cut and dried.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Some of these guys are so desperate to be right on this lol

Rangers will be in on Panarin. Whether or not they sign him is a different story, but you’re kidding yourself if you think they won’t be involved at all

Reactions: egelband and RGY

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The Rangers might sign Panarin just to get fannies in the seats next season. I've never seen so many commercials during broadcasts that "good seats are still available" in nearly 40 years of watching Ranger games. Believe me, Dolan & Co. are paying attention to that.

Reactions: egelband and RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad