Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have a sinking feeling that Trouba would end up in this board's dog house really quickly, or at the very least end up one of those players who quickly becomes polarizing.
You mean give up significant assets for a player, sign him to a very expensive contract and ask him to be something that he has not been before? Where have we seen this before?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You mean give up significant assets for a player, sign him to a very expensive contract and ask him to be something that he has not been before? Where have we seen this before?

And then include a career average of 68 games/a median of 65 games through six season, before wear and tear starts accumulating in the late 20s and early 30s.

Just have to tell you...I think the risk is greater than people realize, and the reward isn't nearly as high as they want to believe.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
And then include a career average of 68 games/a median of 65 games through six season, before wear and tear starts accumulating in the late 20s and early 30s.

Just have to tell you...I think the risk is greater than people realize, and the reward isn't nearly as high as they want to believe.
Agreed. Panarin makes way more sense than trouba. I would rather lose games 8-7 next season than go for trouba. Need one more high pick then start going for it.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Big test for me is Pionk. Big extension is a big mistake in my eyes. The old regime does it without hesitation. Let’s see about now. It’s a big litmus test.
Sather was notably stingy particularly with RFAs... I don't think he ever went beyond 2 yrs in the last decade besides McDonagh. Giving Pionk more than 2 years wouldn't happen anyway.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As it stands now in 2 years the Rangers will have one of the cheapest D corp in the whole league. I will give $7 to Trouba and won’t blink either from a perspective of giving this much to this particular player and in the contest of team’s salary cap.

Trouba injury concerns are also overblown (similar to how it was with Zibanejad). He’s not an overage veteran, this is not EK situation, not even close.

I feel getting Trouba and expecting him to be a 1d is going to be very disappointing as he has a ton of support on the back end in Winnipeg. I'm actually more inclined to continue drafting dmen and see which ones rise to the top. Fox I'm good with as long as we arent trading anything of value for him or get him as a ufa.

Reactions: egelband

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'd love Trouba... if the cost is a package built around Skjei plus secondary/tertiary piece(s). IMO, that would simply be wise asset reallocation (25-y-o, talented, big-bodied LHD for 25-y-o, talented, big-bodied RHD). Anything more than that, however, leave it alone.

I'd be happy to acquire Fox this offseason... if the cost is composed of secondary/tertiary piece(s). IMO, paying a small fee and/or sacrificing a player who Fox would displace is a worthwhile cost for certainty. If Carolina insists on "market value", however, simply wait out the year.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I’m not gonna dive into the whole Trouba debate, although I like him a lot as a player.

However, if we’re saying a 25 year old player doesn’t fit our timeline, what in the actual **** are we doing here then?

This.

At some point, you actually need players in their prime. It can't just be all youngsters and hoarding draft picks.

It's one thing to say that you aren't a fan of Trouba the player, but to say he doesn't fit our timeline is false.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Trouba just played his 24 year old season.

He’s getting to that age where D usually take off. The durability is worrisome, his ability to eat minutes on the back end shouldn’t be.

Skjei, Pionk and a few picks and I’m sold.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
trouba is a much better player than im hearing here.

he would instantly be our best overall defender by a lot. hes young and he can play 25 mins a game.

this defense is a horror show. plain and simple.

right now we have maybe 2 2nd pair guys. 76 and 77. the rest are 3rd pair defender types, vets or specialty type guys.

we need a true top pair defender to anchor this defense until the kids are ready to go.

trouba would seem to me to be a guy who checks many boxes both in terms of talent and need.

Reactions: eco's bones

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
25 is only 5 years from 30, guy might as well retire now.
No one said this. Not one person.

Those that are wary of him are because the combo of assets it would take to acquire him and the fact that he’s not durable NOW. Meaning he likely will not age well.

I think drafting our Trouba is the way to go. Hoping K’Andre is that and more. Yes he’s not a righty but that doesn’t mean we can’t draft someone on the right.

I’ve said before and will day again the best (maybe only) way we f*** up this rebuild is by trying to accelerate it and stepping in shit

Block More Shots

Jul 19, 2005
NJ
I was on the fence for awhile, but I'd be okay with throwing a long-term deal at Panarin. I don't see signs of slowing too much given his age and skill level. He doesn't have the wear and tear on him from playing in the NHL at a younger age either. I think adding a star like him will help us in taking the next step much sooner. We have Henrik's 8.5 coming off the books soon...cap will hopefully continue to go up...and who knows if another player like him will hit UFA any time soon. Mix him in with a top 6 core like Zib, Krav, Kakko, Buch, Chytil...sounds amazing. I'd much rather trade Kreider and give that money to Panarin.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Without an extension in place, why are the Rangers trading a ton for a player who can walk in a year?

With an extension in place, if that cap hit puts him in the top 10 among defenders league wide, is he really a top 10 defender league wide?

How much should a team trade for a player who carries a top 10 cap hit for his position, who may not be top 10 material?

The timeline fits, yet there is not any bargain to be had with Trouba and I'm not very confident he really is a top 10 defender league wide. In his own zone I do think he fits that category, he did well on the PP this past year, yet Buff and to a lesser extent Myers are likely taking some heat off of Trouba where if he were on the Rangers there is no such things.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
trouba defensively is worlds better than any other defender on roster now.

25 yrs old. 50 point guy. plus player plays pp1 and pk1

rochester minn kid. fits the mold

hes a PERFECT fit for this team and exactly the kind of move that fit this rebuild.

again, hes easily the best defender on the roster and makes this defense better fast.

and hes out there. you gotta kick the tires.

until you fix this defense, 5 panarins won't make a hill of beans.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Without an extension in place, why are the Rangers trading a ton for a player who can walk in a year?

With an extension in place, if that cap hit puts him in the top 10 among defenders league wide, is he really a top 10 defender league wide?

How much should a team trade for a player who carries a top 10 cap hit for his position, who may not be top 10 material?

The timeline fits, yet there is not any bargain to be had with Trouba and I'm not very confident he really is a top 10 defender league wide. In his own zone I do think he fits that category, he did well on the PP this past year, yet Buff and to a lesser extent Myers are likely taking some heat off of Trouba where if he were on the Rangers there is no such things.

I'm not always looking for a bargain so much as simply fair value.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Even with an extension in place, trouba isn’t going to require a massive package.

He’ll get some nice pieces, but not the roster player+ 1-2 top prospects + 1st rounder someone suggested.

Think roster player - decent prospect and a conditional pick or 2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Even with an extension in place, trouba isn’t going to require a massive package.

He’ll get some nice pieces, but not the roster player+ 1-2 top prospects + 1st rounder someone suggested.

Think roster player - decent prospect and a conditional pick or 2

Man that seems like a lot coming from a team that is still trying to get a handle on what exactly it has (or doesn't).

Reactions: Riche16

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m not gonna dive into the whole Trouba debate, although I like him a lot as a player.

However, if we’re saying a 25 year old player doesn’t fit our timeline, what in the actual **** are we doing here then?
I think that he fits the time line, but am very worried about bringing in someone who has trouble staying on the ice and paying him top dollars and a contract with NTC/NMC to be something he has never been is a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad