Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Love Chytil, but I think he might take some time to reach his max potential, if he wver reaches it all. I think his upside is ENORMOUS but he isn’t close to being ready to take the next step physically.

He’s THREE years away from being just 22! It will seem like a long time to impatient but it really won’t.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There's things to like about Quinn but I haven't seen enough to say he's influencing this team in one direction or the other.

I like his attitude, but most of our wins are courtesy of hot goaltending on nights where the top line gets points. AV could do that.

I'm interested to see Quinn with a real roster.

The teams gotten a lot of points this year simply because they don’t give up. Yes, the goaltending kept them in it, but the not quitting is a big factor too. That comes from Quinn.

The team gave up a lot last year.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Well, let me save you from embarrassment, there’s literally zero chance Ryan Gropp scores 25 goals next year, the season after, or the season after that. None.

He might score 25 in the LNAH.

Hes playing on the top line in Hartford.....with Fogarty and Meskenan....Fogarty......and Meskenan. Those guys would be lucky to make the LNAH. Hartford is not a good place to judge players abilities.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Hes playing on the top line in Hartford.....with Fogarty and Meskenan....Fogarty......and Meskenan. Those guys would be lucky to make the LNAH. Hartford is not a good place to judge players abilities.
Fogarty has 48 points... how tf is Gropp gonna struggle playing with a guy who has impressive numbers on a dogshit team if he’s any good

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Fogarty has 48 points... how tf is Gropp gonna struggle playing with a guy who has impressive numbers on a dog**** team if he’s any good

Fogarty has 26 more points than Gropp in nearly the same amount of games.

Are we sure Gropp is the one being anchored here lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I just took a long walk and I was supposed to be thinking about my lesson plans but instead I was drumming up my dream rebuild scenario. This is just for fun.

-We get picked in the lottery and move up to 3rd. We select Dylan Cozens.

-We have 10(?) picks in this draft. I'm taking 7 centers. Fight me. They can always move to wing.

-Let's say in 2020 we pick 7th, and I've already got my filthy paws all over Noel Gunler. He just spent the 2018-19 season embarrassing u20 hockey at 17 years old. He then moved on to play with men and was decent in a small sample of games. Age 17. Keep your eyes on him.

-Zibanejad is named captain in September 2020.

-I don't wanna say the defense is "set" but we should already have enough guys to come up with a corps, especially if we add Fox.

-Skjei and Andersson are part of a package to land a vet top-pairish RHD, because this corps is going to be ridiculously young for a defense corps. If everything goes right, that RHD becomes "the piece" in going from upcoming to contending.

-Fast is dealt for a pick, and because this is my fantasy, he wins a Stanley Cup with his new team.

-Strome, Vesey, and Namestnikov ride off into the sunset somewhere. Hopefully they turn into something. If not, we should have enough draft picks to turn them into something.

-Shattenkirk retires. For his loyalty to the franchise, we give him some Director of WhateverThef*** job in the organization.

-Neal Pionk gets into real estate. He's happy and able to support his family. See, I'm a nice guy.

The 2022-23 New York Rangers:

Gunler-Cozens-Kravtsov
Chytil-Zibanejad-XXX
Lemieux-Barron-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Miller-DeAngelo
Hajek-Vet RHD
XXX-XXX

Some Russian
Some Backup

So what we're left with is any combination of future picks (and there's a lot of them, and like I said, I'm targeting guys that can play center or wing), trade returns, reasonably priced vets, Howden, Gettinger, and I guess a couple of other dudes to fill two significant spots at forward. That's easy. Depending on how we do, we may move Buchnevich, but I think he's very much on the table here, and I still think it's viable for this team to sign Kreider. Endless options to fill two spots. Then there's the 4th line. 4th lines are easy. You can build a 4th line in one summer if you have to.

Then the 3rd pair is some combination of Lundkvist, Keane, Reunanen, Lindgren, maybe Fox. I would be absolutely shocked if we can't get an NHL pair out of that list of players. I really, really think highly of our defensive pipeline, that's not just me blowing smoke.

If this is what we end up with I'm pretty f***ing excited. This is a team with more options than holes and should STILL have a decent pipeline. The main key is going to be getting that x-factor center (like Cozens could be) and while this is not necessary, per se, I would love another high-end forward like what a Gunler projects to be.

That might be a tall order, but then again, you're looking SEVENTEEN picks in the next two drafts to find two guys that are going to force the rest into place. Two guys. We're not in awful shape here.

This team has elite talent and attitude. Exactly what Gorton said he wanted. Now, let's execute.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I honestly feel the build is actually moving faster than expected with the additions of Lemieux and Strome, the emergence of DeAngelo and Howden(early on and of late), Buchnevich and Zibanajad taking the next step and Georgiev proving he is a real goalie. I dont think Gorton will go back to the old rangers ways because I dont think he is going to have to. I believe this team with the offseason additions will be competitive next year but not good enough to be tempted to add at the deadline. Another year of drafting and trades like last year and we will be kicking on the playoff door imo

If you were realistic to start the rebuild, you're happy now because the rebuilding is going better than responsibly expected. But most people here expect every prospect to hit his ceiling and do it before they can legally buy beer. They deny it, but look at their projections.

Chytil is way ahead of where z kid at his draft should be. ADA came out of nowhere. Pionk was a free asset. Geo probably brings back some picks. K'Andre, Lundkvist, Barron, Gettinger, Hajek, Rykov looking re as l good as prospects. Kravtsov is where we wanted him to be when we got him in June. Zib looking great. Butcher better than expected. Vesey, Lemieux, Strome also.

If you dont project your lineup to be full of 19/20 year olds in the top 6, already hitting their prime, things dont look so bad.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I just took a long walk and I was supposed to be thinking about my lesson plans but instead I was drumming up my dream rebuild scenario. This is just for fun.

-We have 10(?) picks in this draft. I'm taking 7 centers. Fight me. They can always move to wing.

-Let's say in 2020 we pick 7th, and I've already got my filthy paws all over Noel Gunler. He just spent the 2018-19 season embarrassing u20 hockey at 17 years old. He then moved on to play with men and was decent in a small sample of games. Age 17. Keep your eyes on him.

-I don't wanna say the defense is "set" but we should already have enough guys to come up with a corps, especially if we add Fox.

-Skjei and Andersson are part of a package to land a vet top-pairish RHD, because this corps is going to be ridiculously young for a defense corps. If everything goes right, that RHD becomes "the piece" in going from upcoming to contending.

-Fast is dealt for a pick, and because this is my fantasy, he wins a Stanley Cup with his new team.

-Strome, Vesey, and Namestnikov ride off into the sunset somewhere. Hopefully they turn into something. If not, we should have enough draft picks to turn them into something.

-Shattenkirk retires. For his loyalty to the franchise, we give him some Director of WhateverThe**** job in the organization.

-Neal Pionk gets into real estate. He's happy and able to support his family. See, I'm a nice guy.

Gunler-Cozens-Kravtsov
Chytil-Zibanejad-XXX
Lemieux-Barron-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Miller-DeAngelo
Hajek-Vet RHD
XXX-XXX

Some Russian
Some Backup

So what we're left with is any combination of future picks (and there's a lot of them, and like I said, I'm targeting guys that can play center or wing), trade returns, reasonably priced vets, Howden, Gettinger, and I guess a couple of other dudes to fill two significant spots at forward. That's easy. Depending on how we do, we may move Buchnevich, but I think he's very much on the table here, and I still think it's viable for this team to sign Kreider. Endless options to fill two spots. Then there's the 4th line. 4th lines are easy. You can build a 4th line in one summer if you have to.

Then the 3rd pair is some combination of Lundkvist, Keane, Reunanen, Lindgren, maybe Fox. I would be absolutely shocked if we can't get an NHL pair out of that list of players. I really, really think highly of our defensive pipeline, that's not just me blowing smoke.

If this is what we end up with I'm pretty ****ing excited. This is a team with more options than holes and should STILL have a decent pipeline. The main key is going to be getting that x-factor center (like Cozens could be) and while this is not necessary, per se, I would love another high-end forward like what a Gunler projects to be.

That might be a tall order, but then again, you're looking SEVENTEEN picks in the next two drafts to find two guys that are going to force the rest into place. Two guys. We're not in awful shape here.

This team has elite talent and attitude. Exactly what Gorton said he wanted. Now, let's execute.
Keep an eye on Lundell next year too, he’s got 19 points in 38 games in Liiga as a 16 year old

Reactions: Machinehead

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So you are saying to develop your core and then obtain wherever support is needed via UFA signing, no? Again, isn't this already what they are doing?

Except they didn't do it yet. A few draft picks and prospects isnt the same as having the core built. Name our 5 players who can play on the first line and first pair of a Cup winner?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Lock up Strome for 4-5 years in July. He's a solid and valuable middle6 player.

I like Names but I rather pay Strome that money. Same goes for Vesey. Vesey could get us back a decent pick or packaged to move higher...

I'd move a lot of assets to get back into the top10-15... Get my boy Caufield or a player that drops alla Dach.

Strome for 4-5 years at 4m would be absolutely bonkers insane. He’s shooting 22% this year. He’s a dime a dozen player.

This kinda stuff scares me more than Panarin or EK talk. Spending 12-15m on replacement level guys who bring culture to the team.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’d give Strome term, like 4 years, but in doing so I’d be looking for a $3m cap hit per season. He’s a versatile 3rd liner. I’d be happy with that.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

-Shattenkirk retires. For his loyalty to the franchise, we give him some Director of WhateverThe**** job in the organization.

Gunler-Cozens-Kravtsov
Chytil-Zibanejad-XXX
Lemieux-Barron-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Miller-DeAngelo
Hajek-Vet RHD
XXX-XXX

Some Russian
Some Backup

If this is what we end up with I'm pretty ****ing excited. This is a team with more options than holes and should STILL have a decent pipeline. The main key is going to be getting that x-factor center (like Cozens could be) and while this is not necessary, per se, I would love another high-end forward like what a Gunler projects to be.

Needs more Buchnevich

Reactions: Machinehead

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
I'd still prefer to see someone from the club get the shot at lower 6 minuets up front rather than signing a older free agent. But thats just a feeling I have about wanting to reward players in the NY system instead of bringing in a free agent. It sends the right message to the guys playing in the minors that if you work and get the job done there is a possible spot for you on the roster.

Also I believe that NY already has plenty of veteran leadership. They are not starving in that regard so I don't buy the "sign this guy to show the kids how to be a pro" argument at all. I understand why people make it, but between Staal, Hank and Shat NY has enough of that already. More is not helping the club because its blocking a younger player from EARNING a spot on the roster just like McQuaid did. Looking back on the season making the move with Boston for "veteran leadership" did not improve the team and in fact did block a kid from probably getting a shot.

A rebuild is ideally build around quality younger players that are either drafted or acquired and put in positions to succeed. Not signing older vets to backfill the roster. But thats just one guys opinion.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Strome can fill a role as a 3C or 3W who plays in all situations. RH shot. Plays with some grit and the coaches and players he plays with race about him as a person. As he’s a RFA at the end of next year the Rangers should view that as an opportunity to get him on a reasonable cap hit through his prime. He’s the type of guy who would be valuable as veteran 3rd liber to give the coaches options.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Strome can fill a role as a 3C or 3W who plays in all situations. RH shot. Plays with some grit and the coaches and players he plays with race about him as a person. As he’s a RFA at the end of next year the Rangers should view that as an opportunity to get him on a reasonable cap hit through his prime. He’s the type of guy who would be valuable as veteran 3rd liber to give the coaches options.
He provides good isolation for the time being, and I would extend him on a reasonable deal for two reasons:

1)If need be, he can easily just slide to 4C on a contending roster, provided he's not making too much money.

2)If he does fall out of the plans, a Strome making reasonable money is a good trade chip.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Strome for 4-5 years at 4m would be absolutely bonkers insane. He’s shooting 22% this year. He’s a dime a dozen player.

This kinda stuff scares me more than Panarin or EK talk. Spending 12-15m on replacement level guys who bring culture to the team.
I also agree with this, though.

The key word is "reasonable."

The limit is three years. That takes him through the aforementioned 22-23 season. And then he can go be a Bolland for somebody else after we win the Cup.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Just to nitpick here: Ryan Strome is shooting 22%...with the Rangers

His overall SH% this year is 16.5

Still way higher than his sub-10% career average. He also had a 9.5 SH% in the year he scored 50 pts, which feels weird.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Fast, Vesey and Names should go. Maybe a 3rd and a late pick like 6 or 7 for each. Maybe a second.

Kreider for a Hayes-like package plus another late second or third.

So 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 4 third, a bunch of 6 and 7 rounders in 2020.

Then a second or a third for each of Shatty, Staal and Smith in 2021. This would be the first draft since 2016 not to have us at multiple firsts, but 6 picks in rounds 2 and 3 will help.

After that, the rebuild should be over unless this one fails because our draftees bust.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If our current crop goes the way of Jeff Brown (1996), Cherneski (1997 - injured), Malhotra (1998), Brendl (1999), Lundmark (1999), most of the fanbase will be in a mental institution. The worst case scenario anyone here expects is literally the best realistic scenario - our prospects will mostly reach their ceiling, but it will take 3-4 years.

Between 1987 and 2008, we drafted 2 above average NHLers (Kovalev and Staal) in the first round. We can throw in Dubinsky, Cally, Tyutin, Lundqvist, Savard, Weight, Zubov, and Amonte in later rounds. So that's 10 total above average NHLers in 22 drafts. Heads will implode if we have a run like this where we get fewer than 1 good player per 2 drafts.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Really good contract by Arizona if Schmaltz can keep playing at a high level. I wonder if Gorton does something similar with Buch, though at a lower number.
Really bad contract by Arizona. This is more $ than Zibanejad is making! Player had little leverage. Pretty soon they will be writing a $6-7 MM contract for Keller. Can’t begin to figure this one out.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia