Salary Cap: Roster-building thread Part XXXIV | Can the return of Melichar be far behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not next season but the season after we should roll this.

X-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Kovalchuk

X can be a player that can create on his own we trade for.

Yup, 29 GMs are totally gonna sign off on giving Kovy to Malkin.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
As for OS, you're right. That was the reason. My point-- now and I actually said it at the time too-- is that he should've gotten the 10 games anyway to see if you had another Staal situation, where what his play dictated diverged from those bottom six intentions. I said it then: Watching him all preseason, I saw a guy who, if given the chance (I know, ha ha), would justify a place on Malkin's LW before too long. I thought (a) he was that good and (b) our roster was that bad.

After seeing him live a few times in the preseason, he clearly could have played in the NHL this year except possibly for the wear and tear factor. And he's exactly what Geno needs. He should be able to play either wing even though he has played some LW with Skelleftea. The kid has tons of top 6 tools, and with our dearth of size on the wing, we could use him.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Kovy is enticing but I think we need to free cap space and then spread it into meaningful depth. I think we have enough creation skill in malkin and Crosby. We have enough finish in Perron and horny. Sure there are better players. But I don't see those facets as weak.

I think we need two Kreider like players in the top six. Guys who back off defenses, enhance open lanes, and allow our skill players more space on the ice to use it.

Then we need a younger, larger, meaner bottom six. The emotion players. Guys who play far cleaner than Downie but put some real sting in the lineup.

We need to put players in the right roles on the pp.

We need to leverage our young talent on D to utilize drafted assets and build a more complete team.

It sounds like a lot, but I think all of it is feasible between now and next year. At least significant progress could be made.

We could also use true accountability from a coaching standpoint and possibly a more vocal supporting leadership cast who will force the players to call their own spades what they are (spades) when things start slipping. The anti diplomat to sids face of the game obligations.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Not next season but the season after. No contract with Devils anymore.

He can't unretire from the NHL (I now know the details because others have shown me the light today) and become a UFA unless all 30 NHL GMs sign off on it (possibly he also has to take a full season off from playing as well, I didn't fully understand this part). He is truly free and clear for his age 35 season, after which said stipulation is lifted from his UFA status. Basically, if there is even the scent of a possible Kovy to Pitt signing, Ron Hextall can use his veto power and keep Kovy out, et al. for all the teams. So unless Uncle Gary lobbies super hard because he wants him back or something, I find it very unlikely that he will be back in the NHL until he's 35. So, you still want him for the 2018-19 season?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Kovy is enticing but I think we need to free cap space and then spread it into meaningful depth. I think we have enough creation skill in malkin and Crosby. We have enough finish in Perron and horny. Sure there are better players. But I don't see those facets as weak.

I think we need two Kreider like players in the top six. Guys who back off defenses, enhance open lanes, and allow our skill players more space on the ice to use it.

Then we need a younger, larger, meaner bottom six. The emotion players. Guys who play far cleaner than Downie but put some real sting in the lineup.

We need to put players in the right roles on the pp.

We need to leverage our young talent on D to utilize drafted assets and build a more complete team.

It sounds like a lot, but I think all of it is feasible between now and next year. At least significant progress could be made.

We could also use true accountability from a coaching standpoint and possibly a more vocal supporting leadership cast who will force the players to call their own spades what they are (spades) when things start slipping. The anti diplomat to sids face of the game obligations.

I'm worried about the mentality of the team rather than the roster. The roster can definitely be fixed in an off-season if we get some luck with bottom 6 guys. When I think of all the issues with the mentality, I worry that we need a bigger shake-up.

Mentality/systems:

- pride in our manner of play
- will to win no matter the cost
- desire to win every period
- accountability to veterans
- opportunity to young guys
- power play simplified
- puck support in our zone, 5 guys supporting the puck instead of 2 or 3.
- controlled breakouts

Personnel:
- Trade Kunitz for a young, physically imposing tweener who can possess the puck
- Trade Scuderi for picks
- Trade Sutter for either a dominant 4th liner + picks or a veteran 3rd liner who brings the attitude and 'rah-rah' leadership we need AND backs it up
- Re-sign Beauner, Winnik, Comeau
- Sign a solid #3D that can anchor the 2nd pairing, an impact player
- Sign a solid 2nd line LW with hands

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Re-signing Sutter for $5M/year for 6 years is a lot more likely to happen than Kovalchuk

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not sure how it works, but I'd assume the vote would be before he pursues a contract. Wouldn't make sense otherwise. Why would any team let a rival sign a highly skilled player if they have the option to veto the contract?

That's why it won't happen. Check out the insider trading video on TSN. Pierre Lebrun said 29 other GMs would have to sign off on Kovy joining a particular team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah. There's no way he'd make it back through if it went to a vote. You think someone like Lou would chance Kovy going to us, the Isles, or Rangers? And that's just one dude, I'm willing to bet if it went to vote the vast majority vote no.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
More like, Sutter, Bennett, one of the goaltender prospects and the 1st.

For

STaal.:naughty:

Which 1st? Next year's pick already being traded?

I hope not, this team needs to change it's mentality in the upcoming years regarding picks/developping players, and don't give me that Crosby/Malkin prime crap anymore, it's 6 years we keep trading picks and prospects and we haven't even gone back to a SCF

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
More like, Sutter, Bennett, one of the goaltender prospects and the 1st.

For

STaal.:naughty:

Geez that is a lot to give up. I mean, a 3C is important no doubt...but that's 4 assets. We best be getting a 3W/4W back as well.

Wonder what STL would want for Steen or Oshie? More likely Oshie would be the one available.

Dear god our asset pool is garbage. Every time I come back to this thread I just marvel how bad Shero and Bylsma **** everything up. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad