Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If we're throwing out trade predictions, here are mine:

McQuaid to Toronto for a 2020 2nd rounder

Zuccarello to Winnipeg for Sami Niku and 2019 3rd rounder

Hayes to Calgary for 2019 1st and Christian Dube

Wild Card: Pavel Buchnevich and Neal Pionk to Dallas for Mattias Janmark, Brett Ritchie, and Denis Gurianov

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Before we just reflexively bash the ranger scouts and heap glory on tampa's, people should look who they picked ahead of point and kucherov. If their scouts are so great, how did they miss on Johnson and Gourdie at the draft?

hence the point that i was responding to that its important to have as many picks as possible. no team is perfect at drafting and they all get more wrong than they get right. but your chances of getting a few right goes up if you've got more picks instead of giving them away for mediocre players

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The Rangers have the fewest ROW in the NHL with 19. Anaheim is next with 20. LA, Edmonton & Detroit have 21. Ottawa, NJ & Florida have 22. The Rangers are 6-2 in the shootout. Toronto, Dallas & Ottawa have not participated in a shootout this season. The Rangers are tied with the Islanders with 8 shootout appearances. Islanders are 3-5. Those 12 points skew the perception of the Rangers. Give them half of those points and the Rangers are tied with LA.

The Rangers have had 4 players carry the team. Hayes & Kreider in the first 3 months. Zibanejad & Zuccarello in the last 6 weeks. Mika went 10 games without scoring a goal in mid December to early January. The Rangers goaltending has been good all season. Lundqvist & Georgiev had a few clunkers but that's normal. Some teams like Colorado haven't gotten a big save all season. The rest of the team is dumpster fire.

The Rangers work hard & they compete. It's 4 players carrying the team. Some of them won't be here this time next week. Oh the Rangers aren't as bad as I thought they would be refrain is skewed by the shootouts. The stupid skills competition used to decide games which doesn't even count as a regulation and overtime win.
You’re a very good poster RB but this is just sour grapes.

Those are the rules. The shootout decides games. It is what it is.

Yes we are bad. Yes we could be worse. But saying that the RULES inflate our points is like arguing against 3pt shots in hoops because so and so is damn good at it.

It’s a game. Played by rules. The whole league followed the same set (unless you play against Pitt lol)

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This is a really great point, and one that doesn't get talked about enough.

Yes, OTT has better pieces to sell than us, but their owner is a ****ing cheapskate. The odds of them taking back a bad contract is slim to none.

On the other hand, our pieces are still very good, AND we have space to take back a couple bad contracts. I think we'll definitely be the easier team to deal with come deadline day.

It's tough, though. OTT still has the best pieces to sell, and no GM wants to be the first to pull the trigger and overpay. Also factor in that you have some notoriously stingy GMs that have been rumored to be buyers (WPG, DAL, CBJ), and I could see this really going down to the wire.

Rangers have advantages, they have cap space for the rest of this season next and even the one beyond that before the 2nd contracts really start to kick in.

They have contract and retention slots open.

They have tons of real money and are not afraid to spend it.

They have like 12 players who all are going to be UFAs over the next three off-seasons. Some are obviously not going, some maybe they feel safer in retaining until closer to their contract ends, yet there are others who likely are going to be seen as outgoing rentals instead of extensions in their last contract year. I don't really see much point in holding on to them if something can be worked out sooner.

If the market sucks, maybe try to change the market by offering stuff other teams are going to have trouble matching. Really it does not even have to be just the primary buyers concerning players who have a at least one year of term left, expand the market to teams who maybe are looking to be better next season and see current NHLers as a better options than the not in the NHL picks/prospects.

If the picks have to be pushed off maybe see about the Islander, Habs, Oilers 2020 1st round picks.

Mostly I just think creativity has to be applied given the Rangers needing more than stuff that is a total long shot to even make the NHL, 2nds and B prospects to me should be the bare minimum returns and only after every other avenue has been explored and closed off.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

Wild Card: Pavel Buchnevich and Neal Pionk to Dallas for Mattias Janmark, Brett Ritchie, and Denis Gurianov

If that was the haul for McQuaid, Zucc and Hayes that would be a very successful trade deadline.

And its Dillon Dube!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Islanders are bringing up Ladd and Hickey today. Washington and Pittsburgh are just okay this year but after the deadline where their GM's will be aggressive that may change. Columbus may lose Panarin. I REALLY see the Islanders pushing for a major player. The route to the ECF is open for them this year.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The Islanders are bringing up Ladd and Hickey today. Washington and Pittsburgh are just okay this year but after the deadline where their GM's will be aggressive that may change. Columbus may lose Panarin. I REALLY see the Islanders pushing for a major player. The route to the ECF is open for them this year.

I agree I see them as a major player for Duchane. Probably something like Bellows, Ho Sang and a 2019 #1.

Reactions: bobbop

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I think if we have 8 healthy dmen today at practice then there is no reason to play Mcquaid, it is simply dangerous at this point. Any chance of someone coughing up a 3rd rounder would be gone.

Reactions: leetch99

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I really think a Brendan Smith for Martin Hanzal + Val Nichuskin deal would make some sense if the Rangers off-load Zuccarello, Hayes and Namestnikov.

val will fit right in. he can't score

i understand the proposal. makes sense. warm bodies and all.

that smith contract. woof.

the "getting better" begins with ridding us of contracts like smith and shatty to improve this D.

still prefer to keep 13 around if the return isnt up to snuff.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This would be fantastic.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
val will fit right in. he can't score

i understand the proposal. makes sense. warm bodies and all.

that smith contract. woof.

the "getting better" begins with ridding us of contracts like smith and shatty to improve this D.

still prefer to keep 13 around if the return isnt up to snuff.

Yeah for me, it's just about finding a way out of those defensive contracts sooner rather than later. I think Shattenkirk is dealt in the off-season. Removing Smith to bring in a couple of guys who are UFA's at the end of next season would be a positive.

Plus, Hanzal wold give us all flashbacks of those couple of months where we had Nik Antropov.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hayes to boston. they think they can make some noise and pastrnak is down. enter hayes. makes too much sense. the return ?? Vaakanainen and lauko are top prospects

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
6 days and a few hours left until TDL is reached.

Possible coming scenario - My prediction
  • Tonight game vs Carolina
  • Tomorrow McQuaid is dealt
  • Thursday game vs Minnesota
  • Friday Zucc is dealt
  • Saturday/Sunday games vs Devils/Capitals - Hayes and Names sit these games
  • Monday TDL - Names, Hayes are dealt along with a surprise trade. Or Two.
I mean, honestly, what would even qualify as a surprise trade or two? The only players on the current squad that would truly shock me are:

Hank (due to NMC and stated desire to finish his career in NY).
Zibanejad (due to age, performance, and contract — don’t see anyone ponying up the necessary value).
Chytil, Howden (pretty clearly building blocks of the rebuild).

Everyone else I can see being moved, depending on circumstances/return.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I mean, honestly, what would even qualify as a surprise trade or two? The only players on the current squad that would truly shock me are:

Hank (due to NMC and stated desire to finish his career in NY).
Zibanejad (due to age, performance, and contract — don’t see anyone ponying up the necessary value).
Chytil, Howden (pretty clearly building blocks of the rebuild).

Everyone else I can see being moved, depending on circumstances/return.
Fast, Vesey, Kreider, Shattenkirk. It's not about seeing them moved it's about not really expecting us to get a really good deal for them that ends up with them switching clubs.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I still don’t rule out Minnesota as a landing spot for Hayes.
That's the team I'd be looking to rip off more than any other. They have the best chance of any of the bubble teams of missing the playoffs, and they have a blue chip prospect in Kaprizov that I'd be trying to pry away if I was Gorton.

They just lost Koivu, and that team is aging rapidly. They have one of, if not the, oldest rosters in the league. Their cap situation is pretty dire. Rob them blind. Take back a bad contract if you need to.

Reactions: Off Sides and jas

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still say

Hayes to Winnipeg
Zucc to Boston
McQuaid to Toronto
Namestnikov to Pitt or Nashville

Shattenkirk is the wild card for me is he moved

And having said all that gorton has a lot of work to do in the next 6.5 days I don’t like it. This is what happened with Zucc last year he ran out of time.

Reactions: wafflepadsave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad