Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This contract will f*** us right in the ass with no vaseline at the last years.
Is this even true? With the way this league operates, the last years of bad contracts are the easiest to get out of.
Kakko & Kravtsov on the RW needs more ice-time.
What indications have we ever been given that this is the case? If Kreider were a natural RW there'd be a solid argument that his NMC becomes a M-NTC before Kravstov deserves his/more ice time.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I see the Eichel Situation may be resolved soon. If the Rangers acquire Eichel and thus can’t extend Mika, but keep Mika around, it’s gonna be ugly. Eichel could be great for us but I would just stay away. Things look fine now, no need to ‘shake it up’.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I see the Eichel Situation may be resolved soon. If the Rangers acquire Eichel and thus can’t extend Mika, but keep Mika around, it’s gonna be ugly. Eichel could be great for us but I would just stay away. Things look fine now, no need to ‘shake it up’.

Should a trade happen for Eichel they don't have much of a choice but to keep Mika around, at least until Eichel returns to the lineup. If the team is really intent on trying to compete for the playoffs this season, they probably aren't going to get there on the backs of Strome, Chytil, and Goodrow down the middle. Barring some absolutely massive leaps forward from Kakko, Laf, and likely others.

Reactions: kovazub94

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I wish I could scrub any mentioning of Eichel from the internet unless its news he is actually traded. That horse turned to glue months ago.

Reactions: Atax

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Mika is just as good as Eichel is honestly plus he scores more goals

The only big downside to Zibanejad is the age at which he'd start a new contract. Eichel's contract runs through his prime years whereas Zibanejad's new contract will take him into his twilight years.

Other than that (and the worry that Zibanejad will find some way to get hurt again) I'm 100% comfortable running with Zibanejad as the teams 1C

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I would only acquire Eichel to run 1/2 down the middle with Zibanejad. If you’re acquiring Eichel to replace Zibanejad I’m almost certain it would be a net negative in terms of production when you factor in the players traded away.

unfortunately the cap implications of doing this would be detrimental to the future of this team. Spending 18-19M on your top two centers doesn’t leave much else to go around, especially when you have high end young players like Fox, Laf, Kakko who will need new deals soon

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
unfortunately the cap implications of doing this would be detrimental to the future of this team. Spending 18-19M on your top two centers doesn’t leave much else to go around, especially when you have high end young players like Fox, Laf, Kakko who will need new deals soon
I don't know, I mean Chicago did it. Pittsburgh did it.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

lol. Thus dies the myth of signing Reaves to stop teams from bullying us. All it takes is a well-placed slewfoot.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Good thing we sank all that cap into a tuff roster so Kreider can “have words with” whomever takes Reaves out with a single cheap shot.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Zibanejad is a grandpa though. 29? Might as well be dead
Not that. Just cautious of paying Zibby 9-10 mill from age 30-37/38. I think we’d be buying more what he’s done for us already rather then what he will do. If we’re lucky we get 4 years of PPG hockey from him imo.
Eichel is entering the same age where Zibby took massive strides himself to become the player he is now:
Everyone highlights the negatives with Eichel. And they should be, he does have a risk factor. But not only is it provable/possible he returns to his current form after surgery, there’s a chance in the right environment he can hit another gear like Zibby did. Eichel in an immense talent.
At his current age/deal it does make sense to try and make the Zibby for Eichel switch if rangers doctors and price are where they need to be.
Say Eichel returns to form and is great, I’d also be very nervous giving him a new deal at 30 years old for 7-8 years as well.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Well well we’ll. Lookey here. But I thought everyone said there’s no way we’d be interested.....
one of
Kravtsov/Lundkvist
Strome
Georgiev
Conditional 1st Eichel plays 15 Reg season games plus playoffs.

if the Sabres are willing to retain, I’d maybe add chytil to the deal and self rent strome.

Berns gonna drop a load in his trousers if he sees this. He’s been saying the rangers aren’t interested in Eichel except for scraps and the surgery makes the situation an absolute no go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daves a mess

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Every single player on that Devils bench is embarrassed that “Slewfoot Subban” won’t answer the bell after his cheap shot on Reaves. Want to play dirty, better answer for your actions. That’s the code.

It’s a pre-season game and that was totally uncalled for. Type of play that could end a players career. He’s an embarrassment to the sport.

Reactions: Kupo

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm fine with Rangers keeping tabs on Eichel, but really not interested unless a fair deal can't be made with Zibby.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't know, I mean Chicago did it. Pittsburgh did it.
Yea, kings had a lot of cap tied up in their center corps as well. It’s a proven formula. Just gotta keep a steady influx of kids coming in from the farm.
Tampa was also built similar before Stamkos became a full time wing

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
They can, but it will be tough. If they want to keep Eichel/Zibby as a 1-2 punch they are going to have to get very creative and try to move 1 of Krieder/Trouba before their NMC expires, and the other once it does expire.
Chytil/Georgiev/strome would all have to be going sooner rather then later as well. They will need that little bit of extra cap before the payroll goes up in 3 years.
I actually think by rangers having Eichel in the fold, it would kind of force him to take a more team friendly deal.
Drury can be like, Mika we love you and want you here, but this is what we can offer.... and play it off that way. At least in that situation Mika/brother agent can take a hard line pay me or I walk stance because the rangers have Eichel as a 1C safety net so to speak

Reactions: egelband

Payote75

May 11, 2021
I know it's just the preseason but Blais actually looks like a really good player. His shot we knew his checking we knew what I didn't know is his stick handling has been great especially tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad