Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXVI - Point Of No Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Smart cap management can allow a team to keep their elite goalie and pay him but you need to keep your 1st rounders of which we never did much. You can't burn the candle from both ends, you need players on entry level deals to contribute and offset the money used on your elite players whether it's a forward, dman or even goalie. Has nothing to do with the position we put the money into, more to do with not supplementing it with young cheap skilled players.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Smart cap management can allow a team to keep their elite goalie and pay him but you need to keep your 1st rounders of which we never did much. You can't burn the candle from both ends, you need players on entry level deals to contribute and offset the money used on your elite players whether it's a forward, dman or even goalie. Has nothing to do with the position we put the money into, more to do with not supplementing it with young cheap skilled players.
Yep. There’s a range of appropriate cost for each roster spot. If you go above on one position you need to find a lower-cost alternative at another spot. It’s like squeezing a balloon. Maybe? Something like that.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So many of the top Ds in the NHL aren’t top 5 picks. Go through a number of guys like that, really give them an honest shot, and all of a sudden something works out.
It’s a good point. There are many guys who didn’t make it simply for not having gotten a shot. Maybe they got their one shot when they were injured. Maybe they were in a system that was stacked at their position. Or didn’t have good coaching. Or an ill-fitting system. Whatever. There is a lot of talent out there. Whether it’s at the draft or after, scouting is soooooo important. And opportunity. You’d think this year and probably next the Rangers have the luxury of offering some guys opportunity where another team whiffed.
I guess that’s kind of what they’re doing with Pionk and even ADA to an extent. I’d like to think three or four roster spots are set-aside for development, at least until they’re ready to contend. And then maybe we’ve found an extra Martin St Louis, Jon Marchessault, or even a Byfuglien.

Reactions: Ola

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like McQuaid for what he is, we need a defenseman in that mold.

Problem is we have too many tweeners
If no one makes a decent offer I’d be just fine with keeping McQuaid for a couple more years. Particularly if they could move a different veteran defenseman or two. I know it’s all very unlikely but I really like McQuaid. Guys like him fill a few roles. Physical responsible right side defender who can kill penalties, lead by example, and stick up for his teammates. Perfect for a rebuild. Also frees up the “tough guy” roster spot because he’s filling that role, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia