Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You think this is bad...just wait until you remove every established NHL player of quality from the team.

My case has nothing to do with leadership although Kreider does offer that aspect.

Kreider is worth more to us than to other teams. Other teams are not going to pay the kings ransom we should require for him. And thus he will stay. And he will get a new contract and he will survive that contract while being successful with the new core that develops and comes along to compete.

Again, I think it's really shortsighted and silly to cast aside the idea that Kreider can't net a solid return. He's got 2 playoff runs left on a sweetheart of a deal, and he's a pretty solid playoff performer who has scored a lot of big goals. Teams may be enticed, and its malpractice to cast that aside. All depends on the return as usual, but you seem to be of the thinking that he shouldn't even be shopped. Ridiculous.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
So we're back to this team being full of unlocked potential that is being stifled by the coach again? Great. This is an argument that has gotten progressively worse since 2016 and quite frankly I cannot believe some folks still have the gall to make it.

quinn is trying to make his mark on this team. i can appreciate that.

hes losing my support with some of his decisions.

the talent is there. add more. build from with in.

i love the idea of youth and speed and talent.

keep it going. new coach. new attitude. keep the core. add to it.

stay the course.

Reactions: Rongomania

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
People need to stop making excuses for Buchnevich. He has had his opportunities on the top line in the last 2 years and he has managed to play himself off that line every time.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
People need to stop making excuses for Buchnevich. He has had his opportunities on the top line in the last 2 years and he has managed to play himself off that line every time.

I think we're all just more than a little disappointed that he hasn't really panned out to the expectations levied on him.

Reactions: Riche16 and Ori

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That is a very excellent post, totally agree. Don’t sleep on that idea.

I wonder if the Bruins would be interested in Zuccarello. Frederic is a big, tough kid. Would fit in nicely moving forward

There's no chance that Names returns a 1st rounder. I'd be thrilled with a 2nd rounder though.

I agree, a 2nd and a decent prospect would be my hope.

For me its less age... more talent at the absolute wrong time. It's too early in the rebuild to acquire a player of that talent. We still have yet to find our centerpiece. Until we have a calder candidate type player, I'm all about the tank. There is simply no reason to get better, until we draft someone with that kind of ceiling. Some say Kravtsov is that player... we'll see. I'm a Ranger fan... so i'm skeptical.

I would like to see this team draft top three at least once before acquiring talent that prevents that from happening.

I agree with this

Wonder if Rangers are looking for a Domi/Galchenyuk type of trade?

I would hope so

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I wonder if the Bruins would be interested in Zuccarello. Frederic is a big, tough kid. Would fit in nicely moving forward

I agree, a 2nd and a decent prospect would be my hope.

I agree with this

I would hope so

I heard they’re looking for help on d ;) wouldn’t that be funny if McQuaid is included as a throw in piece back to Boston.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I think we're all just more than a little disappointed that he hasn't really panned out to the expectations levied on him.

As a fan base we just haven't seen a top 5 pick level prospect in a very long time. So we throw our hopes and dreams on any player that even hints at being skilled/talented.

Buchnevich, Grachev, etc.

It's honestly not fair to them or us.

While I feel Kravtsov is supremely talent, I have fear that we're doing more of the same there.

I can barely remember what it was like to have a Leetch level rookie on the roster. I think fan bases with more recent memories of that type of talent are more patient/clear-headed with lesser talent.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I generally agree, but I hope the team is shopping Kreider aggressively to see if such an offer exists. I think Zibanejad's best days are ahead of him so he should be a lynchpin moving forward.

We are approaching the point where the quantity vs. quality argument and how it effects this rebuild will become a focal point. Is the Ranger's philosophy right now to secure as many assets as possible by jettisoning expiring contracts and hoping to get lucky with a player or two? Or is it coming time where they need to make a real splash for young player that will become a centerpiece moving forward? Either way, I dont think Kreider nets that type of player/high draft pick, nor do I know how the Rangers are going to get it.

But if the status quo remains, I have this sneaking suspicion that the Rangers will build up a solid core of depth like they did approx. a decade ago, and will still be searching for that game-breaker go to guy. I guess what Im saying is Im ready and willing to see the team get desperate if it improves the changes of getting a young cornerstone player that the team can build around.

I think, as a whole, the Rangers will know the market for their guys.

Everyone knows they're open for business and that just about everyone is available at the right price.

Now, the disagreements might occur as to what we feel the values should be compared to what they actually are, as well as whether we would be more (or less) inclined to take certain offers.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
quinn is trying to make his mark on this team. i can appreciate that.

hes losing my support with some of his decisions.

the talent is there. add more. build from with in.

i love the idea of youth and speed and talent.

keep it going. new coach. new attitude. keep the core. add to it.

stay the course.

I'm not sure what you're position is with this post.

I don't believe that the "talent is there."

That said, I will say there are couple of talented players. And they, by and large, are having their best seasons playing under Quinn (Zib, Kreider, Hayes)

Reactions: Ori and Edge

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
So we're back to this team being full of unlocked potential that is being stifled by the coach again? Great. This is an argument that has gotten progressively worse since 2016 and quite frankly I cannot believe some folks still have the gall to make it.

Fast is not a top 6 player on any NHL team today, except Rangers and that is depth reasons as I pointed out yesterday - he has limited offesnive skillset which is usually a bottom 6 player and AV mainly used Fast 3rd and sometimes 4th line in the last 5 years.

Fast his last 5 seasons, 14, 30, 21, 33, and this season 44 games 17 points and too much ice time. The stats shows he is a bottom 6 player - and most are aware of that who can evaluate talents.

Jesper Fast Stats and News

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not sure what you're position is with this post.

I don't believe that the "talent is there."

That said, I will say there are couple of talented players. And they, by and large, are having their best seasons playing under Quinn (Zib, Kreider, Hayes)

I generally feel the Rangers have some talent to work with. But by and large, I don't think it's enough over the long haul.

I think they need to continue acquiring assets, continuing to draft and develop players, and really establish legitimate depth --- not projected depth.

The latter is a very easy trap to fall into, especially in the early stages of a rebuilding process.

We need more picks and more prospects. Unfortunately, that doesn't tend to jive with staying the course to speak. But I also agree that it doesn't mean dumping the baby out with the bath water.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
As a fan base we just haven't seen a top 5 pick level prospect in a very long time. So we throw our hopes and dreams on any player that even hints at being skilled/talented.

Buchnevich, Grachev, etc.

It's honestly not fair to them or us.

While I feel Kravtsov is supremely talent, I have fear that we're doing more of the same there.

I can barely remember what it was like to have a Leetch level rookie on the roster. I think fan bases with more recent memories of that type of talent are more patient/clear-headed with lesser talent.

Right now I think it might be Shesty. We have no idea how his game will translate to the NHL. Yet he's seen largely as the de facto heir apparent to Lundqvist, a player who will usher in another 15 years of good goaltending.

That'd be ideal, but has a small actual chance of happening.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Right now I think it might be Shesty. We have no idea how his game will translate to the NHL. Yet he's seen largely as the de facto heir apparent to Lundqvist, a player who will usher in another 15 years of good goaltending.

That'd be ideal, but has a small actual chance of happening.

I agree. And he's going to be, unfairly, compared to Hank for however long he's with the team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fast is another guy I'd attempt to maximize as an asset this year. If this organization can't replace a 3rd/4th line winger then there are big problems. Same sentiment I expressed in regards to Namestnikov and Vesey
I mean, I don't think the organization can replace a bottom six winger. There is no organizational winger depth. Guys like Lettieri are non prospects, and nothing else is ready.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes he has struggled for sure and it might the current system with his playing style that is not ideal in New York, because a new coach and system not all players adapt quickly as well and it could be reasons like that, but Pavel from what I`ve seen from in his career here - he is normally not a typical 4th line player.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I generally feel the Rangers have some talent to work with. But by and large, I don't think it's enough over the long haul.

There is some up front. Little on the back end.
The question is how much thinner that talent base will be after the deadline?

I think they need to continue acquiring assets, continuing to draft and develop players, and really establish legitimate depth --- not projected depth.

The latter is a very easy trap to fall into, especially in the early stages of a rebuilding process.
Agreed.

We need more picks and more prospects. Unfortunately, that doesn't tend to jive with staying the course to speak. But I also agree that it doesn't mean dumping the baby out with the bath water.

Patience is important and something is lacking with some fans. You and I have been around here a long time and for a while there was a longing for a real rebuild. Now that the team is in the middle of it, there seems to be some regret about getting what you ask for.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I mean, I don't think the organization can replace a bottom six winger. There is no organizational winger depth. Guys like Lettieri are non prospects, and nothing else is ready.

Do we need to replace him? 4th liners are easy to aquire if and when we're a competitive team again. Getting guys like fedotenko, Betts, and dorsett weren't big issues .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad