Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Seth Freakin’ Rollins

I like the HGTV shows(Fixer Upper & Flip or Flop) where they buy the house and rip out everything. They only leave the walls. Rip it down to the foundation. Rip out the kitchen and bathrooms. Tear down walls. The floor. The roof. The outside of the house is changed. Everything. New electrical wiring. New plumbing. It becomes a brand new house.

The Rangers have done some of that but they need to do more. Much more.

Hayes, Zuccarello and McQuaid are traded as rentals.

Kreider should be moved at the deadline too. The acquiring team gets him for two playoff runs and for all of next season too. They will have plenty of time to give him an extension. The Rangers can't find themselves in the same position with another key player being a pending rental.

No Kreider, Hayes and Zuccarello and the teams sinks like a rock losing a majority of the 20 games remaining after the deadline. The Rangers get a top 3-5 pick heading into the lottery. Look at dealing Mika at the draft before his NMC kicks in.

Shattenkirk is next year's Jake Muzzin having one year remaining on his contract. $4M salary in 20-21. Very cheap.

All of the players from the previous team have got to go and new leaders need to emerge.

Shestyorkin comes over next season and he starts to take away starts from Lundqvist who knows his career is winding down. He brought his wife and kids with him to the all star game and talked about his kids getting a chance to see what he does. There aren't many all star games in his future. He really enjoyed his experience in San Jose at the all star game. His contract expires in two seasons. He retires and moves to Sweden in two years. He isn't playing for another team like Brodeur did and his ego won't allow him to play 2nd fiddle to Shestyorkin. Ego isn't a bad word. All of the great players have an ego and that ego helped make them a great player.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I like the HGTV shows(Fixer Upper & Flip or Flop) where they buy the house and rip out everything. They only leave the walls. Rip it down to the foundation. Rip out the kitchen and bathrooms. Tear down walls. The floor. The roof. The outside of the house is changed. Everything. New electrical wiring. New plumbing. It becomes a brand new house.

Kreider should be moved at the deadline too. The acquiring team gets him for two playoff runs and for all of next season too. They will have plenty of time to give him an extension. The Rangers can't find themselves in the same position with another key player being a pending rental.

No Kreider, Hayes and Zuccarello and the teams sinks like a rock losing a majority of the 20 games remaining after the deadline. The Rangers get a top 3-5 pick heading into the lottery. Look at dealing Mika at the draft before his NMC kicks in.

Shattenkirk is next year's Jake Muzzin having one year remaining on his contract. $4M salary in 20-21. Very cheap.

All of the players from the previous team have got to go and new leaders need to emerge.

Shestyorkin comes over next season and he starts to take away starts from Lundqvist who knows his career is winding down. He brought his wife and kids with him to the all star game and talked about his kids getting a chance to see what he does. There aren't many all star games in his future. He really enjoyed his experience in San Jose at the all star game. His contract expires in two seasons. He retires and moves to Sweden in two years. He isn't playing for another team like Brodeur did and his ego won't allow him to play 2nd fiddle to Shestyorkin. Ego isn't a bad word. All of the great players have an ego and that ego helped make them a great player.

Agree with the bulk of what you're proposing here, but I think we should be extremely careful in dealing Kreider or Zibanejad. Those guys are our two best skaters, and both are young enough to still contribute when our next window presumably opens. We'd need to get a return so overwhelming that it completely outweighs the risk in dealing them. That's not going to be easy. It's much harder than it used to be to get teams to part with quality young assets.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean the dude has “stud” in his name, we can’t go wrong
Go check him out. He just had a solid WJC in a checking role for Canada, and he’s been absolutely ripping it up for Niagra since being traded. Rangers should know him well since he was teammates with Nico gross on Oshawa.
If Pavel Buchnevich and Jimmy Vesey are the vets in the top six I might stop watching altogether.

They could always bump McLeod up for some leadership and showcase Strome as a former top-5 pick.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lmao now were comparing the Rangers to HGTV shows...

They are not ripping it down to the studs. Stop.

If he had it his way we would be icing an AHL squad.

Doesnt need to happen to be successful. It just doesnt. So pathetic

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Go check him out. He just had a solid WJC in a checking role for Canada, and he’s been absolutely ripping it up for Niagra since being traded. Rangers should know him well since he was teammates with Nico gross on Oshawa.

They could always bump McLeod up for some leadership and showcase Strome as a former top-5 pick.

Studnika might offer the same level of play that the Flyers are getting from Patrick now. Big RH center, 35-40 points with a strong two way game. He's not too far off from Howden in terms of style and upside.

I'm a proponent of having 1 major offensive line, and 3 lines that can be a 2nd line on a given night, but also be defensively responsible. Similar to the 2007 Sabres.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lmao now were comparing the Rangers to HGTV shows...

They are not ripping it down to the studs. Stop.

If he had it his way we would be icing an AHL squad.

Doesnt need to happen to be successful. It just doesnt. So pathetic

Honestly, I’d prefer that to the half assed method that many on here want to go with.

But yeah, they don’t need to ice an AHL team either.

I just hope people are prepared for it to happen organically if they whiff on the free agent market this summer.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Leafs are going to have cap concerns next year and even with the addition of Muzzin (who, IMO, is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defenseman) who they will have playing on his off-side, they will need a new LD to replace Gardiner. They will have too much cap space tied up in their forwards beginning next year. We've talked about it before but a base deal of Skjei for Nylander is still a very real possibility. The Leafs save just over $1m on the cap and they re-allocate some of their cap space towards their newly opened 2nd pairing LD spot.

Reactions: RGY

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Studnika might offer the same level of play that the Flyers are getting from Patrick now. Big RH center, 35-40 points with a strong two way game. He's not too far off from Howden in terms of style and upside.

I'm a proponent of having 1 major offensive line, and 3 lines that can be a 2nd line on a given night, but also be defensively responsible. Similar to the 2007 Sabres.

Yeah, and I can see Studnicka flourishing at W, but I think it’d be great to add another RHS. Kid has some set of wheels too.

JFK is another interesting piece because I think there’s more to his overall game. His scoring rates were good, but he’s not scoring as much in the AHL as I’d like. The other kid I love on Boston is Donato.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Leafs are going to have cap concerns next year and even with the addition of Muzzin (who, IMO, is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defenseman) who they will have playing on his off-side, they will need a new LD to replace Gardiner. They will have too much cap space tied up in their forwards beginning next year. We've talked about it before but a base deal of Skjei for Nylander is still a very real possibility. The Leafs save just over $1m on the cap and they re-allocate some of their cap space towards their newly opened 2nd pairing LD spot.

I think the Muzzin trade is the Leafs recognizing this is the last year they're going to have as much talent on the roster for a long while. Gotta strike while the iron is hot stars are on ELCs in the salary cap era.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah, and I can see Studnicka flourishing at W, but I think it’d be great to add another RHS. Kid has some set of wheels too.

JFK is another interesting piece because I think there’s more to his overall game. His scoring rates were good, but he’s not scoring as much in the AHL as I’d like. The other kid I love on Boston is Donato.

JFK on the rangers would send Sam into early retirement.

Donato is great but the only way he becomes part of the conversation is if kreider does.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the Muzzin trade is the Leafs recognizing this is the last year they're going to have as much talent on the roster for a long while. Gotta strike while the iron is hot stars are on ELCs in the salary cap era.

Which in my opinion is why the Rangers have to be pretty careful about both the timing and cap structure of their rebuild. Saying sign this guy or extend this one sometimes sounds good one off yet when it's all added up having the majority of players all in their primes while fitting everything under the cap has to be at least outlined out well in advance.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I get the strategy but I’m worried that given the relatively small number of teams that I see as being big time buyers, some of them may fill their needs elsewhere.

I can certainly appreciate that notion but I'd rather see Gorton stand his ground than blink early and settle for less than what the tram believes the market value is.

Reactions: bobbop

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

in what universe does a team move their top 5 best players and then expects kids to carry the torch ?? seriously ? and then hope and pray draft picks emerge in what 5 years ? yeesh.

13, 20, 36, 93, 22 and 30 all gone ? then what ? draft picks? neal pionk ? am i even reading this correctly ? what ever is left with your team im not watching. who would ?

this is the NHL. you cannot feed 18-20 yr old kids the the wolves and expect them to be competitive against the best players in the world. new leaders ? where ?

NO TEAM does what you are proposing.

this is beyond reality.

Reactions: kovazub94

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
The team will be gutted enough after the deadline. No need to move Zib or Kreider. Even with a top 3 pick, I want the young vets to stick around. Give Kreider the van Riemsdyk deal maybe add an extra year.

Reactions: kovazub94 and jas

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The team will be gutted enough after the deadline. No need to move Zib or Kreider. Even with a top 3 pick, I want the young vets to stick around. Give Kreider the van Riemsdyk deal maybe add an extra year.

What will Jeff Gorton do if they miss with the top #3 picks in the 2019 draft concering Jack Hughes? He want to win a cup, but can he do it without an elite forward?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

If you get a better package that that Muzzin deal in TOR you have to do it. I like Kreider, but stockpiling on more prospects and further increasing the tank odds is something I prefer more. This the beginning of a long, painful re-build, to me re-signing Kreider would be a classic case of the Rangers not going all the way in re-building. Zibanejad I would be apt to keep considering his age and contract.

Reactions: Wind Waker

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I hope so. I could see him going back to Chicago though.

A multitude of references made throughout the year indicating NY is at the top of his list. I have no doubt that Gorton will be pushing harder than any other team to get him in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad