Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There are a couple of GMs on the hot seat.

Chayka, Bowman, Chiarelli.

All of these guys have made trades. Some with long term consequences that they won't be there for, these are the teams you target. If one of them is within sniffing distance of the playoffs, you can really take them to the cleaners.

McDavid showed signs of visible frustration last night. I wouldn't say the Oil dogged it, but under Hitch, whose asking for a 5 man commitment on defense, you see all the little holes in their line up.

From the D on out.

Puju looks clueless out there. As do their defense. Outside of the Klembom and Larsson pairing. Nurse is the only NHL level Dman they have. The others looked like crap.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, Clifford is an offensive blackhole, but he's a surprisingly effective 4th liner, I guess. We could use one of those, I guess.

But would I give up any sort of asset to acquire him when we could just come up with anyone else to score 6 goals and not nuke our corsi? Not really. It shouldn't be a hard thing to find.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are a couple of GMs on the hot seat.

Chayka, Bowman, Chiarelli.

All of these guys have made trades. Some with long term consequences that they won't be there for, these are the teams you target. If one of them is within sniffing distance of the playoffs, you can really take them to the cleaners.

McDavid showed signs of visible frustration last night. I wouldn't say the Oil dogged it, but under Hitch, whose asking for a 5 man commitment on defense, you see all the little holes in their line up.

From the D on out.

Puju looks clueless out there. As do their defense. Outside of the Klembom and Larsson pairing. Nurse is the only NHL level Dman they have. The others looked like crap.

Great post!

And its no coincidence that everyone in EDM look like crap. They have picked high for what 9 years now. When you look at that team -- how many of the picks they have made have been good picks? Even a broken clock is right twice per day. Ten years worth of picks, plenty of them, and basically not a single one of them has been a diamond in the rough. Maybe someone recent, but basically not one position on that team is held and filled nicely by a 2-7th round pick, not one, other than Klefbom.

On this topic I certainly don't buy coincidences. Crap teams develop crap players. EDM has only been able to support the development of 1-2 kids at the time and the rest have been thrown under the buss and the result is accordingly. For a team that have blown like multiple first overall picks to hurry and bring over Puljujarvi -- who was far from being a finished product in the SM-liigaa -- and throw him into the NHL at the age of 18 despite him being far from growing into his 6'5 body is just mindboggling. Giving him very little PP time nor support from linemates.

The lesson learned should definitely be that you must be very realistic and careful when rebuilding a team in today's NHL. No gambling, no cheating. You are entitled to nothing and will end up with a big nothing if you cut corners. Kids should play in the NHL when they are ready, not before that. A kid must be put in a very good environment to develop. For every Dandelion Child of a team like EDM, 19 others will bust and bust hard.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What would you guys give up for Kyle Clifford?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers made a push for him.

I don't see any reason as to why we should be targeting 28 year old 4th liners. I would much rather use the 4th line to test out our AHL players and see if they can make a career in the NHL. Nieves, Gettinger, etc.

Clifford is a player you get if you're planning on making a playoff run. I still don't see any reason we should be buying. Only situation would be to offset salary, but obviously with LA's situation, they odn't seem to be ideal partners this year.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

Cody McLeod. The Rangers are too good with him in the lineup. We need to get the tank back on track.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I know you're getting flooded with notifications for this post, but Clifford is a bygone from Darryl Sutter hockey. He's a better 4th liner than McLeod but I don't see the need to fill his spot with another lunchpail type of guy. If we're looking for someone out West, I want to find a way to get Jakob Silfverberg over here as a scoring winger for the next few years. He and Mika were a lights out duo when they were young guns in Ottawa, and Mika needs a scoring winger that's better than Vlad Namestnikov and Jesper Fast.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Seriously speaking, LeBrun has a fantastic piece on The Athletic this morning. He talks about the Nylander negotiations and how its basically a fight for the souls of the impending RFA's coming up in the next couple of years. He speculates that if Nylander gets greater than $7 million, that the market is going to be reset next year in favor of those players on expiring ELC's. Its worth a read.

Next year's RFA class is monstrous. Matthews, Marner, Rantanen, Point, Laine, Boeser, Matt Tkachuk, Kyle Conner.

How is Winnipeg going to keep both Laine and Conner? Laine is going to get $10 million. Guy has a video game addiction. Buyer beware. He can score goals but his all around play has dipped this season. Conner will earn a 7 to 8 million/year deal. I really liked him in his draft year. He and Barzal went way lower than they should have. Was hoping that the Rangers would trade into the 1st round and get one of them. Maybe Gorton is saving his chips for next year. LeBrun speculates that there will be at least a couple more Nylander-esque holdouts next season too. Gorton may be able to pounce on a player like Conner or Marner when those teams are counting pennies to sign their good young players.

This is part of the reason why I'm for lowering the UFA age. Young stars like Nylander holding out and missing half the year hurts the game and the overall product. Imagine if a player like Matthews holds out because he doesn't get his money? Disaster for Toronto and the league. Give players a little more control over their destiny.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Seriously speaking, LeBrun has a fantastic piece on The Athletic this morning. He talks about the Nylander negotiations and how its basically a fight for the souls of the impending RFA's coming up in the next couple of years. He speculates that if Nylander gets greater than $7 million, that the market is going to be reset next year in favor of those players on expiring ELC's. Its worth a read.

Next year's RFA class is monstrous. Matthews, Marner, Rantanen, Point, Laine, Boeser, Matt Tkachuk, Kyle Conner.

How is Winnipeg going to keep both Laine and Conner? Laine is going to get $10 million. Guy has a video game addiction. Buyer beware. He can score goals but his all around play has dipped this season. Conner will earn a 7 to 8 million/year deal. I really liked him in his draft year. He and Barzal went way lower than they should have. Was hoping that the Rangers would trade into the 1st round and get one of them. Maybe Gorton is saving his chips for next year. LeBrun speculates that there will be at least a couple more Nylander-esque holdouts next season too. Gorton may be able to pounce on a player like Conner or Marner when those teams are counting pennies to sign their good young players.

This is part of the reason why I'm for lowering the UFA age. Young stars like Nylander holding out and missing half the year hurts the game and the overall product. Imagine if a player like Matthews holds out because he doesn't get his money? Disaster for Toronto and the league. Give players a little more control over their destiny.

I would do anything to get Laine on this team. I don't know if we've ever had a shooter like him. It'll never happen though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Come on now. Hope you're joking here.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Phew.

There is definitely some of that going around. Which I cannot wrap my head around. If players were bar hopping at night like players did in decades past, people would be losing their mind.
To be real for a minute, there is some truth in what I was alluding to in regards to Laine. That being said, if he still continues to put up 50 goals for my team, I would put up with his hobbies. The minute that staying up late and playing video games negatively impacts his play or missing practice because of a gaming session occurred, I would want the coaching staff and front office to nip that in the bud earlier than not.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I liked the old shtick better.

But it is nice to see you back now that we've lost a couple of games.

Did I hurt your feelings? Poor baby.

You like to take shots at me. Go ahead. The thing is nearly everyone who posts on these forums knows there’s something seriously wrong with you.

I posted on Thursday after the Rangers beat the Islanders. It’s nice of you to keep track on when I post. It’s kind of creepy too.

Reactions: Vinny

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I love how he comes out of the bushes once the team loses again ready to try and shove it in everyones face how he, and he alone, wanted to trade Zucc before the season. Forget the context of the discussion that took place and that is we had no clue what we were going to get from the kids. No clue that Howden would perform this well. That Chytil would find his game. That Andersson would be recalled only a month plus into the season. We had to let the team play a bit to see where we stood. We need the filler veterans for roster spots and to have a mix with the young kids. Trading Zucc before the season would not net us much different of a return then compared to now or even at the deadline. Its just having Zucc who might have produced did not fit his agenda of icing a team to lose on purpose. Sorry cant get behind being a pathetic franchise that tanks. If youre not good enough then fine, let it run its course while trying to look like an NHL team.

The all mighty know it all, condescending posts are played out. He is a better poster than this

Every post is trade Zuccarello. Trade Zuccarello. Now? They waited too long. They should have traded him a while ago. Max his value. They wait until the player is on a expiring contract and his play has dropped off. Gorton made the right move with Brass for Zibanejad. So many people were against that move.

Reactions: bernmeister

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Spot on.

I'd rather have ADA in the lineup developing (and let's be real, it's gonna be ADA scratched every time, not Pionk or Shattenkirk) than a 3rd.

And I think getting a 3rd for McQuaid has always been a bit of a fantasy, or at least an absolute best-case scenario. He's worthless.
I think McQuaid can easily get a 3rd at the TDL and maybe more. His reputation is as a big shutdown RHD with tons of physicality with a cup, a team like Toronto would value that A LOT and might take a chance with him if we retain. As long as he doesn’t completely fall off a cliff this year, he’s getting at least a 3rd

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia