Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I predict if the Blues win the Cup the big Dmen will be back in fashion again.
When you have a big dman who can play like Parayko that sure helps the cause. I do like the mix of having bitter dmen mixed with quicker mobile dmen like they have in Dunn.
Maybe it’s years of watching Beukeboom and leetch.

Reactions: Cag29

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A question for the group...

Let’s for a moment assume the Rangers do not sign Panarin.

Who do they sign?

They will have quite a bit of salary cap room. Worst case $10-12 MM. best case? Closer to $18MM. They are not simply going quietly into the night. See John Davidson article in the Post tonight.

I don’t have a list. I do have a question which is what does JD think of Matt Duchesne? I’ve never been high on Duchesne but I am not making the decisions. What does JD think? Beyond that, I see a few small signs (e.g. Brian Boyle) that I wouldn’t mind but that’s not going to eat up much of the available $.

Who’s on your shopping list?

Callahan
Eat Horton or Clarksons contract
Sign Brian Boyle and Alex Petrovic

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Who do they sign?

They will have quite a bit of salary cap room. Worst case $10-12 MM. best case? Closer to $18MM. They are not simply going quietly into the night. See John Davidson article in the Post tonight.

I don’t have a list. I do have a question which is what does JD think of Matt Duchesne? I’ve never been high on Duchesne but I am not making the decisions. What does JD think? Beyond that, I see a few small signs (e.g. Brian Boyle) that I wouldn’t mind but that’s not going to eat up much of the available $.

Nobody for more than a year other than possibly Donskoi.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Who do they sign?

Honestly, no one really interests me unless they move Kreider.

That being said, talking about middle 6 guys Donskoi’s name comes up. Johansson, Connolly or Dzingel are interesting targets.

I’d probably be more partial to short term deals for Pavelski or Williams. No idea why Pavelski would sign with a rebuilding team at this stage, but Williams has won Cups, so he might chase some money if we offered it.

Also, it’s worth mentioning something. It might be difficult to get the price we want for Kreider. I know he’s better than most of them, but there are so many winger UFAs out there that teams might just wait until after July 1 to make a really serious pitch for him.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Who do they sign?

Gorton could have something up his sleeve, targeting players that aren't obviously available, a la Zib. There are several teams facing cap crunches. Maybe that results in us taking a bad contract. Maybe that results in us getting a player no one expects to be traded.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers aren’t going to go on vacation on July 1 but JD does say there is no shortcut and they are doing this the right way.

The Rangers competed last season. Brooks likes to add his own spin on things. If Brooks has his way so many of those traded players would still be here. Brooks acts the Rangers got their brains beat in every night last season. The veterans on the Rangers know the deal.

The Rangers signed Shattenkirk two years ago. Craig Custance didn’t have Shattenkirk on his list of players expected to be traded this summer. Someone asked him why not. Custance said he he makes too much money and he is slowing down. Terrible combination.

The Rangers need to stay from those type of players. The Blues are on the verge of winning the Cup. They have not missed Shattenkirk at all. The Caps won the Cup in 2018. They didn’t miss Shattenkirk either. The Rangers are stuck with this guy now.

The Rangers are better off doing nothing major unless they get a young player fall into their laps.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Brendan Smith should be gone. Retain half his cap hit and find a veteran forward who another team is looking to get rid of. Zack Smith fits the bill.

Brendan Smith @ $3.125m for Zack Smith (no money retained)

The Rangers don't save any money on the cap but they re-allocate the money to a depth forward. Or:

Brendan Smith for Zack Smith + Mike Condon

Ottawa is going to need bodies on the back-end.
Chabot
Borowiecki
Harpur
Ceci
Demelo

Ryan Callahan + TB 2nd '20 for Ryan Gropp

The Rangers then have 2 veteran depth forwards and they don't need to play in UFA.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
@RangerBoy I do like your posts a lot but if the comparison for not grabbing an elite winger are being drawn to Shattenkirk and how teams have won without him, I don’t think that’s really compelling evidence to stay away from long term commitments.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
@RangerBoy I do like your posts a lot but if the comparison for not grabbing an elite winger are being drawn to Shattenkirk and how teams have won without him, I don’t think that’s really compelling evidence to stay away from long term commitments.
Yeah...Marian hossa had that loser tag on him as well...then 3 cups later....

Reactions: RGY

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Brendan Smith should be gone. Retain half his cap hit and find a veteran forward who another team is looking to get rid of. Zack Smith fits the bill.

The Rangers don't save any money on the cap but they re-allocate the money to a depth forward. Or:

Chabot
Borowiecki
Harpur
Ceci
Demelo

The Rangers then have 2 veteran depth forwards and they don't need to play in UFA.

I would be down for both moves but thing is if you add Callahan and Z Smith then guys like Namestnikov , Vesey have to go as it’s blocking kids from roster spots

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Eh, Shattenkirk was certainly debated at length around here for a long time before he was signed. Plenty of people had him pegged as a top pairing defensemen we had to sign because they're never available.

It's weird because the Rangers have had such awful luck at the high end of the UFA market, but on the flip side they've found some real bargains over the years. I'd like to see them absorb some bad contracts in order to accumulate more assets and then spend a little bit on vets that can fill in the holes as needed.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Who do they sign?

My shopping list is empty. I'm in the sign no one camp. Also, I think it's more likely than not that Duchene signs in Nashville. He wants to play there. They love free agents and need a center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rongomania and Kupo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My concern with Pool Party extends beyond the NHL. Frankly, his overall play in the AHL hasn't exactly been inspiring either.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
JD sounded like he was going to be patient, not making a move to just make a splash.

I would explore 1 or 2 of the following:
Smith for Connor Brown and Horton. I would eat 50% if I had to.

Acquire Hoffamn for a couple of cheap role players, Fast and Pionk type. Flip him at the deadline. If cap is a real issue, I would do some minor picks. Not fair value for them, this is to ease their attempt to sign UFAs.

Acquire Miller and Clarkson from Vegas.

That's it. I want to know what we have brewing at home.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Chabot
Borowiecki
Harpur
Ceci
Demelo

That would add money to the cap for both this/next year and Zack Smith is terrible. Brendan might be a better forward.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
outside of panarin there is no one worth even considering making a long term investment...which limits the options. but I think in the UFA market, if anyone, we are looking at older vets that will take 1-2 year deals to plug holes and help the kids. we can overpay guys on short term deals. I think we are also going to be looking at guys that can pass thru waivers and play in hartford

Reactions: bobbop

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I really don't see the urgency to dump brendan smith in return for another bad contract...he's the 7th/8th dman and is more likely to play LW than be on the blueline. He isn't blocking anyone. if the kids can't beat him out they don't deserve a spot...

if you want to debate staal who will actually be in the lineup thats a different story, but imo dump smith is just for the sake of saying you dumped him. ultimately it matters very little.

Reactions: Off Sides

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really don't see the urgency to dump brendan smith in return for another bad contract...he's the 7th/8th dman and is more likely to play LW than be on the blueline. He isn't blocking anyone. if the kids can't beat him out they don't deserve a spot...

if you want to debate staal who will actually be in the lineup thats a different story, but imo dump smith is just for the sake of saying you dumped him. ultimately it matters very little.

Brendan Smith doesn't so much block a kid as he takes up a roster spot no matter where he is. Let's say he gets beat out for a spot at all of LD, RD and 4th line. He gets sent to Hartford. Now he's taking up a spot in Hartford that's better suited for a kid too. It's best to just remove him from the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad