Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
You guys see tkachuk wants a 4 year deal.... which takes him into UFA the 1st year he’ll eligible for it.

These guys with 2nd generation hockey business roots, they are choosing their own destinies as much as they can and it makes sense to.

Brady tkachuk was considering not signing with Ottawa and going back to college. But he realized with how quickly kids are getting paid, he would be costing himself 20-30 million dollars by trying to force Ottawa’s hand to trade him

But more and more these kids with smart pro-player rights agents, they are calling their own shots more and more by the season

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
You guys see tkachuk wants a 4 year deal.... which takes him into UFA the 1st year he’ll eligible for it.

If Tkachuk didn't have this kind of a season, he'd be asking for a longer deal. He exploded this season. Jumped from 48 in 76 to 49 in 68 and now 77 in 80. If he had another 55 type point season, he'd be asking for a 6-7 year deal to max out.

Now, he has a near point per game season under his belt and is trying to get a lot out of this next deal and get to UFA at 26 where he can secure the bag after that. He is betting on himself though. If he falters or gets hurt, he'll be leaving money on the table.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Sure young players can take shorter term deals and try to maximize their career earnings, yet if they have a down year or two, or end up injured, that next contract may not be as high as it would have been on a long term beforehand. If they are injured or play bad enough for whatever reason, maybe even no next contract.

Some teams seems to be able to sell the guaranteed long term money aspect a little better than others.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am kind of curious to see what would happen if for some reason Trouba misses significant time this season.

I just don't think his game, from what I've seen, and his stats line up.

To me it seems like there is a disconnect on what people think he is capable of offensively and if that would translate well on a lesser offensive team. He is passing to forwards who like to shoot a ton, and they also tend to score at a decent rate on those shots too.

There is a distinct difference in what Buff does offensively and on the PP on his own and what Trouba does. Wheeler is far more integral towards running their PP than Trouba or Buff are. The non drop off from Buff to Trouba on the PP I think is more attributed to Wheeler and the other forwards.

To put it another way, I think Skjei's stats likely increase just by being placed on the Jets should they give him similar minutes/role to that of Trouba. Yet on the flip side I do not share the same idea that Skjei's defensive game is top notch. Nor his offensive game for that matter. (Not that I think he's bad, more not sure his contract aligns to what he is, yet I do still have some hope it may close the gap)

Not trying to say there is not value there with Trouba, defensively I find his game to be pretty top notch, offensively he can get the puck to those types of players, I'm not sure that value equates to what the Rangers would first have to trade for him and then the contract past that.

The games missed would actually be my secondary concern beyond that... if it turns out he is more a product of the other Jets offensively, and he is also missing games where he is the lone match-up RD.

As a UFA I'd be more interested, yet even there I think his contract is going to be based on a player he is partially not.

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just don't think his game, from what I've seen, and his stats line up.

To me it seems like there is a disconnect on what people think he is capable of offensively and if that would translate well on a lesser offensive team. He is passing to forwards who like to shoot a ton, and they also tend to score at a decent rate on those shots too.

There is a distinct difference in what Buff does offensively and on the PP on his own and what Trouba does. Wheeler is far more integral towards running their PP than Trouba or Buff are. The non drop off from Buff to Trouba on the PP I think is more attributed to Wheeler and the other forwards.

To put it another way, I think Skjei's stats likely increase just by being placed on the Jets should they give him similar minutes/role to that of Trouba. Yet on the flip side I do not share the same idea that Skjei's defensive game is top notch. Nor his offensive game for that matter. (Not that I think he's bad, more not sure his contract aligns to what he is, yet I do still have some hope it may close the gap)

Not trying to say there is not value there with Trouba, defensively I find his game to be pretty top notch, offensively he can get the puck to those types of players, I'm not sure that value equates to what the Rangers would first have to trade for him and then the contract past that.

The games missed would actually be my secondary concern beyond that... if it turns out he is more a product of the other Jets offensively, and he is also missing games where he is the lone match-up RD.

As a UFA I'd be more interested, yet even there I think his contract is going to be based on a player he is partially not.

I will say, and have for a while, that I think the lust for Trouba would probably outweigh the actual result. Not to say he wouldn't be very good, but I get the sense that people would pop the cork, say that they like what they taste, but ultimately, with time, find that it wasn't quite what they were expecting.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I will say, and have for a while, that I think the lust for Trouba would probably outweigh the actual result. Not to say he wouldn't be very good, but I get the sense that people would pop the cork, say that they like what they taste, but ultimately, with time, find that it wasn't quite what they were expecting.
I think Morrissey is actually the all around better player, a LD though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Morrissey is actually the all around better player, a LD though.

All other dialogue aside, I think Trouba is talented. However, not unlike a lot of names that come up on this board, I think he's in an environment that maximizes his skills. Additionally, I'm not sure we can replicate that, or if he's quite the type that spawn that type of replication around him.

When you start getting into moving packages and still having to work out the contract, it definitely impacts my appetite a bit.

As a free agent? Yeah, I'm interested if the terms are right.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That contract has to eat at these top end guys who sign long term deals a long time ago. Skinner makes nearly as much as Crosby, malkin, Ovechkin and backstrom.

My man whiskey over at RR2.0 is ahead of the game. He thinks top players should go the NBA route and sign short term deals and constantly re-up based on the rising cap.

Foolish.

Get the guaranteed dough and eliminate the risk of injury which is completely out of anyone's control.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

These guys with 2nd generation hockey business roots, they are choosing their own destinies as much as they can and it makes sense to.

Brady tkachuk was considering not signing with Ottawa and going back to college. But he realized with how quickly kids are getting paid, he would be costing himself 20-30 million dollars by trying to force Ottawa’s hand to trade him

But more and more these kids with smart pro-player rights agents, they are calling their own shots more and more by the season

He may WANT four years, he ain't getting four years

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Kings have their own Marleau contract in Kovalchuk. The Kings would love to move Quick and his contract but nobody wants a bad aging goalie. Four more years for Quick. Phaneuf is another bad contract. Two more years. They moved Gaborik’s bad contract for him. They wanted too long to move Martinez. Two more years of Martinez. They have three more years of Carter. Three more years of Brown. Kopitar has five more years. Doughty is starting his 8 year extension this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad