Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If we can find a way to keep all of ADA, Fox and Trouba, play them all in the top four, address our F depth and not lose key RFAs, I’m on board.

but any decision to keep Trouba over ADA is a fireable offense.

Hasn't half of this already been determined? Didn't Trouba's NTC kick in? Seems like he's here for the foreseeable future.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Hasn't half of this already been determined? Didn't Trouba's NTC kick in? Seems like he's here for the foreseeable future.
There’s been no official word on when the contracts for this season end and when the contracts for next season begin. The season hasn’t ended, so it would seem that the contracts haven’t either.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we can find a way to keep all of ADA, Fox and Trouba, play them all in the top four, address our F depth and not lose key RFAs, I’m on board.

but any decision to keep Trouba over ADA is a fireable offense.
First of all, Trouba is not going anywhere. Second of all, you need to read someone like Loki's post. DeAngelo did not play like a third pairing defenseman. That was not his usage. Just because optically you want to call it third pair, does not make that the actual as to what is happening on the ice for him. It is all about proper usage.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
First of all, Trouba is not going anywhere. Second of all, you need to read someone like Loki's post. DeAngelo did not play like a third pairing defenseman. That was not his usage. Just because optically you want to call it third pair, does not make that the actual as to what is happening on the ice for him. It is all about proper usage.
I read it and I liked it. If I refer to top four, please assume I mean in TOI/GP.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Saying "but any decision to keep Trouba over ADA is a fireable offense." is a typical arm chair/video game GM comment. It's easy to say, but in practice, is not that cut and dry.

It's a different example of targeting a player in a trade, making an offer that's not realistic and then dropping a "Get it done Gorts". This things aren't easy. There's more to moves than just "keep him he's better".

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchShamrock

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a different example of targeting a player in a trade, making an offer that's not realistic and then dropping a "Get it done Gorts". This things aren't easy. There's more to moves than just "keep him he's better".
That is why I am asking for the target. To simply say "Trade DeAngelo" is just a blurt. When you start to look at possible trade targets and trade partners, the field shrinks dramatically.

Reactions: pld459666
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That is why I am asking for the target. To simply say "Trade DeAngelo" is just a blurt. When you start to look at possible trade targets and trade partners, the field shrinks dramatically.

It's not even just the simple you can't keep Trouba over TDA. It's saying that while also prefacing everything with "finding a way to address our F depth and not lose key RFAs".

Reactions: pld459666

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The quarenteen process doesn't start when players arrive at the post season bubble city. It starts july 13 when players get to their teams. They travel to Toronto in a sanitized and secluded plane, go in a similarly set up bus to a similarly set up hotel. It's not full proof but chances will be mitigated.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Saying "but any decision to keep Trouba over ADA is a fireable offense." is a typical arm chair/video game GM comment. It's easy to say, but in practice, is not that cut and dry.

Statements like the ones you’re criticizing here are literally the function of a **roster building thread**. None of us are the GM, and all of us have opinions. Maybe you can express yours without being a demagogue.

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Statements like the one you’re criticizing here are literally the function of a **roster building thread**. None of us are the GM, and all of us have opinions. Maybe you can express yours without being a demagogue.

Oh come on. OK, if we're building a roster — I say they should trade Staal, Smith and 3rd to Buffalo for Eichel. Hell, I'll even throw in Group.

The point I was making is a decision to keep Trouba over TDA would not and could not be made based solely on who is the better player.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
In your opinion, did Sather choose to re-sign Girardi and sign Dan Boyle over re-signing Stralman? Or were these moves unrelated?

Are we really going back to do this? OK, I'll bite. Are suggesting there was a choice between

I can't say I have the chronology memorized, but I believe that Girardi had already signed a multi-year contract when Stralman was up for a new contract. So are you suggesting that the Girardi contract made it a choice between Stralman or Boyle? I guess but that more or less proves my point and you're relying heavily on the benefit of hindsight and having seen how things played out.

IMO, with the benefit of hindsight, the shouldn't have kept Stralman and probably shouldn't have signed Boyle.

But even this situation demonstrates my point that decision was not cut and dry who is better, either.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Fun hypothetical...

If by some miracle Staal, Smith, and Lundqvist all decided to retire this offseason, what would you do as GM of the Rangers?

Instead of sign or trade for an expensive player, I'd probably do exactly what we'd planned to do before, but take on a couple 1 season bad contracts from pressed teams around the league in exchange for assets.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hank's and Igor's performance in camp, along with experience, is going to have more to do with the decision than anything said to a reporter back in February.

I really don't think that Lundqvist's performance in camp is going to be enough. I don't think they are equal at this stage. Like I said, it's Shestyorkin's crease to lose. If he comes back out of shape, then sure. But if he shows he's in the same shape as during the season, there's no reason to swap goalies

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Are we really going back to do this? OK, I'll bite. Are suggesting there was a choice between

I can't say I have the chronology memorized, but I believe that Girardi had already signed a multi-year contract when Stralman was up for a new contract. So are you suggesting that the Girardi contract made it a choice between Stralman or Boyle? I guess but that more or less proves my point and you're relying heavily on the benefit of hindsight and having seen how things played out.

IMO, with the benefit of hindsight, the shouldn't have kept Stralman and probably shouldn't have signed Boyle.

But even this situation demonstrates my point that decision was not cut and dry who is better, either.
I think youre muddying the waters here.

The post you originally referred to prefaced that if we could thread the needle of keeping all of TDA, Trouba, Fox, retaining our key RFAs, and address our F depth, then I am on board.

This is a tall order, and I think a number of people recognize that it may be hard to keep both TDA and Trouba. Given that they are both RD, and that we also have Fox, another RD, the choice may very well be between TDA, an RFA, and Trouba, whose NMC likely has not yet kicked in.

*IF* (as my original post stated) a decision is made to move TDA, and *IF* that decision is mostly relying on a separate decision to not move Trouba, that decision would be a mistake, in my opinion. I have said it before- moving Deangelo will replace moving Zubov as a trade of much scorn, unless it gets us a young, elite F like Eichel. Even then, if Trouba could get us the same, or a majority percentage of the same return, it would be GM malpractice to move Deangelo instead of Trouba. That is my opinion, as a fan of the sport, of this team, and of both Trouba and Deangelo.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I am no doctor either. And my comment was not an attack on you. But if using history as a guide tells you anything, the chances of a successful vaccine being created are not great. And even if they did come up with one, you are years away from it being safely tested and being able to have mass distribution.

People can say anything they want about a plan all they want. But history and reality paints a far different picture. Wasn't mumps the last successful vaccine that was created? And I think that took 4 years for mass production.
Mumps vaccine was in the 40s no? Technology has advanced since lol.

That being said I am with you on being more concerned (or even pessimistic) about where we're heading due to this.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really don't think that Lundqvist's performance in camp is going to be enough. I don't think they are equal at this stage. Like I said, it's Shestyorkin's crease to lose. If he comes back out of shape, then sure. But if he shows he's in the same shape as during the season, there's no reason to swap goalies

I don't agree, based on what Quinn has said. Is he saying those things to be politic? Maybe, but he tends to be pretty straight about stuff like this.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't agree, based on what Quinn has said. Is he saying those things to be politic? Maybe, but he tends to be pretty straight about stuff like this.

I don't know why anyone is making a big deal about it. the comments were a typical say nothing/water is wet comment in sports. every training camp everyone has to 'earn their jobs' everyone knows its not true but the team still says it cause they want everyone coming in thinking they have a shot.

no one has played in 3 months and some guys live in areas where gyms and ice rinks are still closed. this isn't the same team you saw in march just returning after a long weekend, you have no idea what kind of shape guys are in so why would Quinn commit to anything before seeing them. there is next to zero chance that Igor isn't the starter, but what is gained by quinn saying right now 'hank and georgie better get ready to sit and watch'

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fun hypothetical...

If by some miracle Staal, Smith, and Lundqvist all decided to retire this offseason, what would you do as GM of the Rangers?

Instead of sign or trade for an expensive player, I'd probably do exactly what we'd planned to do before, but take on a couple 1 season bad contracts from pressed teams around the league in exchange for assets.

Exactly what I would do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad