Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLII Time for Curtis Lazar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
He was Norris caliber last season though, with a healthy Hedman and Sergachev McD gets no PP time and gets all the tough defensive duties.

McDonagh was a class act as a Ranger. Listening to him talk about the Rangers when he played here when he was young was pretty emotional. That being said. It's scary he's 30 and his contract at almost 7 million runs through him being 37 or about that. I don't know what teams are thinking giving players contracta at big money past 33 or 34. Makes no sense. Sometimes, you have to say no. Rangers did Panarin's contract perfect. Up at 33. If he's still real good at 33, they can give him a 1 or 2 year deal at good money.

Reactions: Ola

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Kreider's contract runs through him being 35. I consider Kreider a physical freak though. I'm a believer that defenseman take much more of a beating than forwards. I think Kreider will still be effective at 34-35. A player like Buchnevich I would have no interest in paying past 29.

Reactions: Ola

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is there anything or an insider connecting nyr to eichel or a legit report that he wants out, or is this all wishful thinking and banter?

He went on the radio and said he was tired of losing.

It's really no secret that the situation in Buffalo has not been to his liking before this season happened. Whether or not that manifests itself in an actual trade remains to be seen.

It's more than wishful thinking, but less than a legitimate report.

Reactions: Ola and egelband

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If there was a trade to be made, I like the Rangers chances at landing him. First, very few other teams have the assets we have to facilitate a trade, and most of the other teams that can match us are either beginning or still in the midsts of rebuilds. Second, if Gorton wants a guy, he goes and gets him. Finally, Botterill is a bad GM. While I don’t know if any of this will go down, I think it’s safe to say that Jack doesn’t finish his career in a Sabres uni.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Acquiring Eichel would be hilarious from the perspective of it being another talented RH shot talent for use on the PP.

After years of contending with Stepan being our only decent RH shot player for the PP and always struggling because of that imbalance now we're going completely the opposite way.

Shit, AV used Girardi, Fast Klein and hell - even Chris Mueller and Jayson Megna at times on the PP just because we had too many looks with 5 LH shots out there or 4+1. Now Quinn sometimes struggles forming units the same way but opposite- overloading too many RH shots on one unit.

Panarin, Strome, Zibanejad, Tony D, Fox, Trouba and maybe Eichel.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If a player like Eichel is available, you do what needs to be done to make a serious push for him. Depth can be replenished
Disagree. Were not just giving away “depth”. Its not that simple. Hypothetical trades have us cutting off a limb to acquire Eichel. Thats how you shorten your window and deplete an organization. I am Not trading a value of 4-5 1st round picks for 1 player. As I have said over and over again, would rather offer sheet someone and keep our prospect pool aka “depth”. Offer sheet Barzal.

If someone wants to present a fair deal for Eichel, sure I am interested. But some people are ready to pay a similar price as the Lindros trade. We all know how that worked out for each side...

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
From my horizon, I can make an analogy between Nintendo’s Mario Kart 8 that the kids have me playing a lot and Buffalo/Eichel in the NHL.

In Mario Kart 8 you can chose four different levels 50/100/150/200 cc as well as easy/medium/difficult CPU. The cc part is how fast the vehicles are. At least for a newbie, at 50cc the fastest (also bigger and heavier) vehicles are the best, you can still make the curves and you benefit from the top speed between them. At 200cc, the vehicles with the highest handling are the best, otherwise you will just blow every turn.

Buffalo is simply a bad fit in this comparison. It’s not that they don’t have “good” hockey players. It’s that Eichel, Reinhart and so many of their forwards are ‘not’ of the style that works the best. A little smaller, very quick and agile guys that takes away ice and beats you with quick transition plays and tight defense. Like way Boston’s top line.

Eichel could be the best in the game if this was NHL 2003, or whenever Lecavalier has his peak. But it’s not a 50cc league, it’s a 200cc league.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
From my horizon, I can make an analogy between Nintendo’s Mario Kart 8 that the kids have me playing a lot and Buffalo/Eichel in the NHL.

In Mario Kart 8 you can chose four different levels 50/100/150/200 cc as well as easy/medium/difficult CPU. The cc part is how fast the vehicles are. At least for a newbie, at 50cc the fastest (also bigger and heavier) vehicles are the best, you can still make the curves and you benefit from the top speed between them. At 200cc, the vehicles with the highest handling are the best, otherwise you will just blow every turn.

Buffalo is simply a bad fit in this comparison. It’s not that they don’t have “good” hockey players. It’s that Eichel, Reinhart and so many of their forwards are ‘not’ of the style that works the best. A little smaller, very quick and agile guys that takes away ice and beats you with quick transition plays and tight defense. Like way Boston’s top line.

Eichel could be the best in the game if this was NHL 2003, or whenever Lecavalier has his peak. But it’s not a 50cc league, it’s a 200cc league.
I don’t get the reference. But I get the reference, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: McSauer and Ola

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Disagree. Were not just giving away “depth”. Its not that simple. Hypothetical trades have us cutting off a limb to acquire Eichel. Thats how you shorten your window and deplete an organization. Not trading a value of 4-5 1st round picks for 1 player. As I have said over and over again, would rather offer sheet someone and keep our prospect pool aka “depth”. Offer sheet Barzal.

If someone wants to present a fair deal for Eichel, sure I am interested. But some people are ready to pay a similar price as the Lindros trade. We all know how that worked out for each side...

Depth can be replenished isn’t as easy as it’s made to sound in the first place. Take the Nash trade. We were able to replace one of Dubinsky/Anisimov when Kreider made the team full time. We didn’t manage to fully replenish the lost depth until we traded Gaborik. In the end, trading for Nash didn’t really upgrade the team, because we had to make another move to replace the pieces we dealt for him.

Reactions: RGY and Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Depth can be replenished isn’t as easy as it’s made to sound in the first place. Take the Nash trade. We were able to replace one of Dubinsky/Anisimov when Kreider made the team full time. We didn’t manage to fully replenish the lost depth until we traded Gaborik. In the end, trading for Nash didn’t really upgrade the team, because we had to make another move to replace the pieces we dealt for him.

Well, this fanbase thinks anyone can put up 60 points playing with Panarin so people expecting to replenish depth easily isn't a stretch then

Reactions: pld459666 and RGY

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
There are trades I’d make to acquire Eichel. He is a game breaker and an Eichel/Panarin and Kreider/Zbad 1/2 punch would be unreal.

We can afford to move one of our RHD. Fox, to me, is the one you have to keep.

We can afford to move Chytil if a center like Eichel is coming back. Can you sell a GM like Botteril on Strome instead based off his production just in games as a Ranger? It would be a coup but I find it unlikely.

We can afford to move one of Buch/Kravstov. They project to be pretty similar players in my mind. Kravstov has the higher ceiling but hasn’t proven anything. Also a bit more of a shoot first guy. It’s a toss up which I’d gamble on.

We can afford to add Georgiev. We roll Lundqvist for one more year in a backup/mentor role and address a backup goalie next off season. Not the worst scenario.

We have a lot of picks. I’d certainly be fine with off loading a 1st since they likely won’t impact the roster for 2-3 years.

No matter what you’re going to overpay. It would take a hell of a package, but we could put one together. If Chytil is replaced by Eichel, Buch is replaced by Kravstov (or vice versa, Buch stays on the Zbad line and we lose Kravstov), DeAngelo is replaced by Lundkvist on the third pairing and we still have Trouba/Fox/Lundkvist down the right side, Georgiev clears up the three goalie clog, and we move one of our 1sts... we still ice a very comparable team with guys like Barron, Miller, etc. still coming plus the other picks we have this year.

Panarin - Eichel - Strome/Kakko
Kreider - Zbad - Buchnevich
Kakko - Howden (Strome) - Fast
Lemieux - Andersson? - Gauthier
Lindgren - Fox
Staal - Trouba
Smith/Miller/Reunnanen - Lundkvist
Shesty
Hank

When Kakko shows a step Strome bumps down to 3C, Kakko rides shotgun with Eichel and Panarin, Howden bumps down to 4C, Gauthier or Lemieux can take the 3W vacancy and someone like DiGiueseppe joins the 4th line.

I’m typically staunchly against these kinds of trades but this is one that would have us looking pretty scary.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Carolina?

Their farm is kind of meh and they have Aho, Necas and Staal.

Unless they are willing to part with Aho/Necas, I don't see a deal there.

Colorado is an interesting one for me because they have the need and a deep farm, but I don't see what they have on their roster that would really be of interest AND expendable. I don't think they would accept a package just around futures if he does get moved.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
There are trades I’d make to acquire Eichel. He is a game breaker and an Eichel/Panarin and Kreider/Zbad 1/2 punch would be unreal.

We can afford to move Chytil if a center like Eichel is coming back. Can you sell a GM like Botteril on Strome instead based off his production just in games as a Ranger? It would be a coup but I find it unlikely.

We can afford to move one of Buch/Kravstov. They project to be pretty similar players in my mind. Kravstov has the higher ceiling but hasn’t proven anything. Also a bit more of a shoot first guy. It’s a toss up which I’d gamble on.

We can afford to add Georgiev. We role Lundqvist for one more year in a backup/mentor role and address a backup goalie next off season. Not the worst scenario.

We have a lot of picks. I’d certainly be fine with off loading a 1st since they likely won’t impact the roster for 2-3 years.

No matter what you’re going to overpay. It would take a hell of a package, but we could put one together. If Chytil is replaced by Eichel, Buch is replaced by Kravstov (or vice versa, Buch stays on the Zbad line and we lose Kravstov), DeAngelo is replaced by Lundkvist on the third pairing and we still have Trouba/Fox/Lundkvist down the right side, Georgiev clears up the three goalie clog, and we move one of our 1sts... we still ice a very comparable team with guys like Barron, Miller, etc. still coming plus the other picks we have this year.

Lindgren - Fox
Staal - Trouba
Shesty
Hank

When Kakko shows a step Strome bumps down to 3C, Kakko rides shotgun with Eichel and Panarin, Howden bumps down to 4C, Gauthier or Lemieux can take the 3W vacancy and someone like DiGiueseppe joins the 4th line.

I’m typically staunchly against these kinds of trades but this is one that would have us looking pretty scary.

Even if Chytil goes, I think Strome has to go as well for Salary purposes in a seperate deal (unless Buffalo for what ever reason wants him.)

Top 4 Staal is vomit inducing though.

Reactions: UnSandvich

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Even if Chytil goes, I think Strome has to go as well for Salary purposes in a seperate deal (unless Buffalo for what ever reason wants him.)

Top 4 Staal is vomit inducing though.

Yeah, hate seeing Staal there but we just don’t have any LD to plug there. I’d hope we’d sign someone like an Ian Cole to a cheap 2 year deal. Just plugging in names to fill it out since the left side of the D wasn’t altered in the hypotheticals.

Strome could potentially be dealt for a LD? If Kakko becomes top six ready he rides with Panarin/Eichel. What a line. No real need for Strome as a 3C if you have Eichel/Zbad. Could also buy Staal out this summer.

I think Eichel would mostly just get DeAngelo’s extension money, Georgie’s extension money and the sum of Chytil + Buch’s cap hit (or just Chytil in the Kravstov scenario).

But you’re eventually looking at a top six of:

Panarin - Eichel - Kakko
Kreider - Zbad - Buch (or Kravstov)

A defense of:

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
??? - Lundkvist

And Shesterkin in net.

Bottom six could use some tweaks and we could use a veteran LHD, but you have Howden, Gauthier, Lemieux, maybe Andersson, guys like DiGiuseppe, Gettinger to tinker with. Chances for guys like Reunnanen to step up and claim a spot on the D.

If we could make a smart trade out of this we could end up looking really lethal. Again, usually not a proponent of this but we do have the pieces and are in a prime position as far as our window and development.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm still having trouble determining a legit landing spot for Eichel that isn't the Rangers if he were indeed available.

Colorado would be perfect for him. MacKinnon-Eichel down the middle is a Crosby-Malkin type depth that makes you a contender for a decade

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

We can afford to add Georgiev. We roll Lundqvist for one more year in a backup/mentor role and address a backup goalie next off season. Not the worst scenario.

Lindgren - Fox
Staal - Trouba
Shesty
Hank

Yeah, hate seeing Staal there but we just don’t have any LD to plug there. I’d hope we’d sign someone like an Ian Cole to a cheap 2 year deal. Just plugging in names to fill it out since the left side of the D wasn’t altered in the hypotheticals.

Strome could potentially be dealt for a LD? If Kakko becomes top six ready he rides with Panarin/Eichel. What a line. No real need for Strome as a 3C if you have Eichel/Zbad. Could also buy Staal out this summer.

I think Eichel would mostly just get DeAngelo’s extension money, Georgie’s extension money and the sum of Chytil + Buch’s cap hit (or just Chytil in the Kravstov scenario).

But you’re eventually looking at a top six of:

Panarin - Eichel - Kakko
Kreider - Zbad - Buch (or Kravstov)

A defense of:

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
??? - Lundkvist

And Shesterkin in net.

Bottom six could use some tweaks and we could use a veteran LHD, but you have Howden, Gauthier, Lemieux, maybe Andersson, guys like DiGiuseppe, Gettinger to tinker with. Chances for guys like Reunnanen to step up and claim a spot on the D.

If we could make a smart trade out of this we could end up looking really lethal. Again, usually not a proponent of this but we do have the pieces and are in a prime position as far as our window and development.

Buffalo isn't a good fit for DeAngelo so his value in the trade isn't going to be very good. Not only do they already have an extremely similar player in Dahlin, but they already have four top-4 caliber RDs.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Buffalo isn't a good fit for DeAngelo so his value in the trade isn't going to be very good. Not only do they already have an extremely similar player in Dahlin, but they already have four top-4 caliber RDs.

I did consider that, but DeAngelo is better than all of the RD they have, Risto is very likely being shopped for an upgrade elsewhere and Dahlin is a lefty. If they’re looking for maximum value in a return, it’s not likely many teams could top an offer with DeAngelo involved whether RD is a position of strength for them or not. If they move Eichel they’re going to be making other moves as well, so load up on the best assets you can get and then ship out other packages to address the overloaded right side. I entirely get where you’re coming from, but if that team moves Eichel it’s almost moot what their strengths are... they’re going to be woeful and need to do plenty of restructuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad