Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers get to keep the NHL right to sign Rykov in perpetuity, right? Assuming he stays in the KHL. Is that correct?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Gorton avoids long-terms UFA's (I hope he does), it may be quite difficult to reach the cap floor for 2021/2022 and maybe even for 2022/2023 (Contracts of Lundqvist, Staal, Smith and Shatty will expire in 2021). Probably we won't be able to sign a lot of short-term UFA's/get a lot of short-term vets via trades, because we will need many slots for our youth. That's why I think buyouts of Smith and Staal this summer would be reasonable moves. We would get an additional dead cap hit (approximately 2 350 000$, including Girardi's contract it would be about 3 450 000$) for both seasons. Moreover we would have more slots for our young LD's and 4liners (If any of our young LD's is not ready for 2nd pairing next year we could play with e.g. Cleasson and expose him for Seattle in 2021.). We could consider buyout of Shatty as well but in his case there is a chance he will bounce back next season and he will have a signifcant market value next year. What do you think?

I think we'll see some players get bigger deals between now and then. Even if Buch is bridged now, he will need another contract in 2 years. The same goes for ADA and Pionk, assuming they are both still here in 2 years. Chytil, Andersson, Howden and Lemieux will all need new contracts. None of those guys will break the bank unless they take a leap forward in their development/production, but they will all get raises. And who knows what will happen with guys like Strome, Names and Fast.

On top of that, we will very likely target some players via UFA and trade who will make a significant amount of money. Those players could be potential core pieces like a Nylander, Kapanen or Trouba. They could be stop gap UFAs signed for 1 or 2 years. They could be cap dumps from other teams. We may not sign Panarin, but I don't think that means we won't sign any UFAs at all.

Reactions: Michal

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
While RB can be extreme at times, there's a difference between not bringing in aging, expensive vets and icing a skeleton roster of sub-25 players.

Friedman is also a pretty big hack and I don't take anything he says seriously. He's on par with Eklund these days.

Nah what you’re missing is there’s a small group of people here who freak out any time anything they don’t want to hear is mentioned.

Every guy from Freidman to Bobby Mac to every local writer has been shit on here cause they remotely discussed things different from what people here want. It’s childish.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Every online media writer is going to try to drum up clicks/reads. How much faith one puts into their insider information is up to the reader.

I just don't think anyone outside of the Rangers top management knows what they are going to do. Maybe they even are still deciding. It kind of seems like they plan, have an outline, yet they also have to wait for certain events to unfold before they adjust or do not.
It’s almost like they know what they’re doing and don’t tip their cards at the poker table while everyone ahead of them is betting.

#boldmovecotton

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If I'm correct, an offer sheet hasn't been made in like 5+ years. It's not even worth discussing. It's a fantasy.

I think there are 2 major factors here.

1) Cost associated (Picks)
2) Relationships are always on the line. Most GM's are still in the "Good ole boys club". Offer sheet an RFA, and you going to burn the bridge with that players GM. That will factor down the road if you ever want to make a deal with that GM.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It’s almost like they know what they’re doing and don’t tip their cards at the poker table while everyone ahead of them is betting.

#boldmovecotton

I think when he speaks of flexibility, that is what he is talking about. Who knows what may come up, yet if he has the assets to make moves, cap space being one of them, he is never going to have to pass on a perfect opportunity because he literally can't make such a move. Perfect opputunity being very subjective.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The season isn’t even over for the NHL and already this is THE BEST OFFSEASON EVERRRRRRR!!!!

Gorton isn’t even done! I know he isn’t! Kakko aside obv

Our training camp this year is something that MSG should f***ing televise

EDIT: the only way this offseason gets better is if they hire me to direct camp and games for MSG

Reactions: wafflepadsave

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
How could the lineup look next year?

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko ( if we draft him)
Buchnevich - Strome - Kravtsov
Vesey - Chytil - Namestnikov
Andersson - Howden - Lemieux

Skjei - Shattenkirk
DeAngelo - Fox
Claesson - Pionk

Lundqvist/ Shestyorkin
Lundqvist / Shestyorkin

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think there are 2 major factors here.

1) Cost associated (Picks)
2) Relationships are always on the line. Most GM's are still in the "Good ole boys club". Offer sheet an RFA, and you going to burn the bridge with that players GM. That will factor down the road if you ever want to make a deal with that GM.

While those two are factors, I think it is much more complex.

First off if a player is arbitration eligible and he elects it, no offer sheet can be made. A high percentage of players who are eligible elect arbitration.

Mostly that leaves those who are not arbitration eligible in the first place. Usually those players are somewhat unknown in terms of what they will be going forward.

From the players side, unless the offer sheet is really worth it, they are likely getting about the same money over whatever that term is anyway just by staying where they are.

That usually causes offer sheets to be an over payment, often with some poison pill included to guard against just that team matching, which drives up the compensation which would need to be returned.

Then if a team really thinks they may still end up with offer sheet threats, why not just trade them before hand for more than that compensation would be anyway.

If an arbitration eligible RFA does not elect, that should send up at least a flag that says, hey maybe we should trade this guy before he signs an offer sheet if he won't sign on our terms.

If a non arbitration player stance in negotiations is well beyond what the team is going to pay, why not explore trades before any offer sheet can be made? If a team is interested enough to offer sheet them by overpaying, they should be interested enough in trading at least the compensation which would be involved anyway, and maybe more since they would not have to overpay in contract as much as they would have to in an offer sheet which would not be matched.

Last edited:

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
How could the lineup look next year?

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko ( if we draft him)
Buchnevich - Strome - Kravtsov
Vesey - Chytil - Namestnikov
Andersson - Howden - Fast

Skjei - Shattenkirk
DeAngelo - Fox
Claesson - Pionk

Lundqvist/ Shestyorkin
Lundqvist / Shestyorkin

Brendan Lemieux? I think Hajek will force himself into the lineup as well. Also think there's a good chance one of (or both) Vesey and Namestnikov won't be here come September.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think one of Pionk and Shattenkirk won’t be with us by the end of training camp. Maybe as early as the draft.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Brendan Lemieux? I think Hajek will force himself into the lineup as well. Also think there's a good chance one of (or both) Vesey and Namestnikov won't be here come September.

I always forget Lemieux too which I shouldnt cause he's a pest and will be a perfect bottom 6 guy

am I the only one that thinks Fast is dealt if NYR gets Callahan back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia