Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I’d be looking for a dumb team that will leave the first unprotected

Like Florida, or Carolina perhaps

Calgary already laerned how that can burn you, so they won’t do it again, i presume

Florida makes the most sense for zucc considering their budget issues

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Oilers board seems keen on acquiring Spooner and Namestnikov.

... for a 2nd, a 3rd and Matt Benning.
If it is the Oilers 2nd, aka 41 overall, and their 3rd, aka 72 overall - I would do that for either of them

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If it is the Oilers 2nd, aka 41 overall, and their 3rd, aka 72 overall - I would do that for either of them
If we do it for Spooner can you imagine the return we got for Rick Nash...26,41 and 72 pick along with Ryan Lindgren. Wow!!!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kovalchuk dumped his long time agent Jay Grossman

He should be able to get more than a one year contract with performance bonuses. He hired a new agent for a reason. One stop shopping for the Islanders. Same agency represents Tavares and Kovalchuk.

That’s why Radulov inked a one-year deal when he came back to North America. Kovalchuk won’t necessarily have to given he’s an established commodity. On the other hand, Kovalchuk is 35. He’s at best on the downslope of his prime and more likely past it. So while Kovalchuk won’t sign a one-year deal like Radulov did, Kovalchuk also likely won’t command a five-year pact like the one Radulov did with the Dallas Stars last summer at 30. Based on what I’ve gleaned from talking to people around the league, the best bet for Kovalchuk is something in between. Think two- or three-year contract on a team with mid-range playoff aspirations. His new team doesn’t have to be “win-now,” it has to at least be “win-soon.”

NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Hiring Lou Lamoriello as director of hockey ops sparked rumors galore of a reunion with his old salary-cap-circumvention guinea pig Kovalchuk. Does it make sense for a struggling team like the Isles, though? Maybe it does in the context of a Tavares pitch. Could the Isles lure their captain back with the added promise of Kovalchuk joining the fray for a few years? There are some holes that theory. The Isles need help in defense and goal far more than they need more expensive scoring wingers. Kovalchuk typically plays the left side, and Tavares has a great running mate there already in Anders Lee. So the idea isn’t perfect. But any knowledgeable person I’ve spoken to has suggested not to rule out the Lamoriello connection, so here we are.

New York Rangers: Scuttlebutt has already linked Kovalchuk to the Blueshirts. But this team sent a letter to its fans committing to a youthful rebuild and just hired an NCAA coach in David Quinn. Signing Kovalchuk would contradict the Rangers’ supposed new credo. So I don’t buy the rumors.

Top five destinations for Ilya Kovalchuk | The Hockey News

The guy who covers the Kings on Sirius XM John Hoven believes Drew Doughty is getting $12M-$14M in his contract extension this summer. That's crazy.

REPLAY: Hoven on NHL Radio, Talking Kings Summer Needs

If Doughty is getting $12M-$14M,what is Erik Karlsson getting his next contract? Ridiculous money.

Colangelo had anonymous twitter accounts discussing his players. He is not the only executive in pro sports with an unknown twitter account. They get their news from twitter. Those egg accounts with no followers which follows 200 media accounts.

Reactions: Ola

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Athletic has a feature on potential player buyouts

For a lot of teams, buying out Smith would be an easy decision. Not especially palatable, but easy.

The Rangers, though, are not most teams. In February they announced a rebuild, and somewhere near the top of the list of rules for rebuilding is not to do things that help you now at the expense of the future.

A buyout, which pushes dollars into the future, is generally a bad idea for such a club unless it is completely unavoidable.

It’s my view that New York doesn’t risk much by waiting a year and seeing if they can get something out of Smith next season. If they have to buy him out afterward, the cap penalty will be shorter and for less money.

NHL buyout rankings: 25 candidates listed by how useful...

If Smith doesn't make the team or struggles at some point during the season, there is a seat on the AHL bus waiting for him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Athletic has a feature on potential player buyouts

NHL buyout rankings: 25 candidates listed by how useful...

If Smith doesn't make the team or struggles at some point during the season, there is a seat on the AHL bus waiting for him.

Smith shows up in great shape and makes the team. Staal, Shatty and Smith, 50% of our blueline. Skjei will play. 2 spots for the kids, Smith can be used on both sides, can really be a LD and a RD or two RDs. TDA can't be demoted, Pionk should play.

Don't think any of the other kids are ready out of camp. But any mobility for Quinn to build his own roster or look into the kids sooner rather than later? Don't think so.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Doughty gets 12-14 mill then EK will get 7 years/15 mill per. Good luck with that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Reactions: TheTakedown

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Smith shows up in great shape and makes the team. Staal, Shatty and Smith, 50% of our blueline. Skjei will play. 2 spots for the kids, Smith can be used on both sides, can really be a LD and a RD or two RDs. TDA can't be demoted, Pionk should play.

Don't think any of the other kids are ready out of camp. But any mobility for Quinn to build his own roster or look into the kids sooner rather than later? Don't think so.

If there is overcrowding, Staal should be an extra.

Reactions: jas

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In the latest 31 Thoughts podcast,Elliotte Friedman had more details on the Hanifan to Vancouver rumor. It involves the #7 pick in the draft. Lindholm is also part of the deal if it is expanded. Ron Francis was thinking about moving Hanifan last season.

Can the Rangers get in on trading a roster player(Hayes or Kreider)for #7 in a three team trade? Maybe expand the deal to Lindholm who would also fit the Rangers plan of getting younger. Right handed shooting forward which the Rangers lack. Change of scenery. Center/right winger.

The Rangers have three contract situations coming up.

Hayes is arbitration eligible this summer. Potential group III next summer. The Rangers have young center options. Trade him now or sign him to 4-5 year extension with the idea of trading him in a year or two. ~$5M per. He padded his numbers at the end of the season when management waved the white flag. If the Rangers pay him,they better be sure they can trade him. The Rangers were concerned about paying Miller. The Rangers should be concerned about paying Hayes.

Zuccarello. Group III next summer. He will be 32 at the start of his next contract. Trade him between the draft and next February’s deadline.

Kreider. Two years away from group III. He will be 29. The Rangers would be foolish to give him a long term contract. Kane got $7M. If I’m Kreider,I want the same $7M over 6-7 years. No thanks.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How would anyone feel about this:

to NYR:
Brendan Lemieux
Steve Mason

to WPG:
Steve Fogarty

To CAR:
Steve Mason @ 1/2 cap hit ($2.05m retained for 1 year)

To NYR:
CAR 2nd '18

Carolina is looking for some help in goal and can't take on too much more cap. This gives them an opportunity to get a platoon going and get through another year of Darling's contract.

The Rangers get a young truculent winger who is a PIA to play against but has some offensive skills. 43p in 51 games as mainly a 21 year old (turned 22 in March). Build your own Antoine Roussel. They also get a 2nd rounder for a good 1b goalie from Carolina.

Reactions: Ola

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
In that case, I prefer keeping Namestnikov and Spooner. No deal. Not a fan of Benning.

Why don't you like Benning? Righty two-way D with strong underlying numbers in just about every metric i can find. He's really good.

Not saying i'd do this trade (i might), but Benning is definitely good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How would anyone feel about this:

to NYR:
Brendan Lemieux
Steve Mason

to WPG:
Steve Fogarty

To CAR:
Steve Mason @ 1/2 cap hit ($2.05m retained for 1 year)

To NYR:
CAR 2nd '18

Carolina is looking for some help in goal and can't take on too much more cap. This gives them an opportunity to get a platoon going and get through another year of Darling's contract.

The Rangers get a young truculent winger who is a PIA to play against but has some offensive skills. 43p in 51 games as mainly a 21 year old (turned 22 in March). Build your own Antoine Roussel. They also get a 2nd rounder for a good 1b goalie from Carolina.
Sure but I'm not sure why anyone besides NYR does it

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I realize its a nice heuristic, but I don't know why we keep chatting about contracts like the same age means the same thing for each player.

Some players decline at 28, others at 34. Some players produce at 80% of their peak until 37 and 50% until 40, others are out of the NHL by 33. Gretzky's best season was at age 23, doesn't mean he didn't hold his level of play for a long time.

It's very difficult to predict. Chimera is a lower skilled comparable to Kreider and he put up 2 20 goal seasons at ages 37 and 38.

Reactions: TheTakedown

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
In the latest 31 Thoughts podcast,Elliotte Friedman had more details on the Hanifan to Vancouver rumor. It involves the #7 pick in the draft. Lindholm is also part of the deal if it is expanded. Ron Francis was thinking about moving Hanifan last season.

Can the Rangers get in on trading a roster player(Hayes or Kreider)for #7 in a three team trade? Maybe expand the deal to Lindholm who would also fit the Rangers plan of getting younger. Right handed shooting forward which the Rangers lack. Change of scenery. Center/right winger.

The Rangers have three contract situations coming up.

Hayes is arbitration eligible this summer. Potential group III next summer. The Rangers have young center options. Trade him now or sign him to 4-5 year extension with the idea of trading him in a year or two. ~$5M per. He padded his numbers at the end of the season when management waved the white flag. If the Rangers pay him,they better be sure they can trade him. The Rangers were concerned about paying Miller. The Rangers should be concerned about paying Hayes.

Zuccarello. Group III next summer. He will be 32 at the start of his next contract. Trade him between the draft and next February’s deadline.

Kreider. Two years away from group III. He will be 29. The Rangers would be foolish to give him a long term contract. Kane got $7M. If I’m Kreider,I want the same $7M over 6-7 years. No thanks.
The Rangers have potential young center options with all of 10 or so NHL games between them. And they were concerned about Miller because he stopped caring when the team started to go downhill. At the same time Hayes started performing as a shutdown center and scored a career high in goals.

I'm not saying he's untouchable but we don't have actual depth at center at all yet and Hayes is the opposite of Miller in terms of concerns about reliability and being able to step up when the team is struggling.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The possibility that Zucc becomes Rangers next Captain is being backed up by Elite Sports NY today, very good article. Hard to understand why some of you want to trade him, he could help the Rangers to become a cup contender in just a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad