Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Kreider should be the next captain, all things with the roster being equal. He's the guy this organization has been waiting on to finally "get it." His problem has always been consistency. Give him some real responsibility and I think he will thrive.

I wouldn't mind Zucc as captain. The man has the heart of a god damn lion, but he needs to be extended at a reasonable cap hit if that's going to happen. There's no point in handing the captaincy to a guy who could be gone at the deadline. I don't want another Callahan/McDonagh situation with trade speculation.

Otherwise, just pick someone like Staal as a placeholder until a younger player like Andersson grows into the role.

Yeah I'd be ok with any of these. I also wouldn't be shocked if we went a season without a captain. I really think Lias would be an excellent C.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
In the latest 31 Thoughts podcast,Elliotte Friedman had more details on the Hanifan to Vancouver rumor. It involves the #7 pick in the draft. Lindholm is also part of the deal if it is expanded. Ron Francis was thinking about moving Hanifan last season.

Can the Rangers get in on trading a roster player(Hayes or Kreider)for #7 in a three team trade? Maybe expand the deal to Lindholm who would also fit the Rangers plan of getting younger. Right handed shooting forward which the Rangers lack. Change of scenery. Center/right winger.

The Rangers have three contract situations coming up.

Hayes is arbitration eligible this summer. Potential group III next summer. The Rangers have young center options. Trade him now or sign him to 4-5 year extension with the idea of trading him in a year or two. ~$5M per. He padded his numbers at the end of the season when management waved the white flag. If the Rangers pay him,they better be sure they can trade him. The Rangers were concerned about paying Miller. The Rangers should be concerned about paying Hayes.

Zuccarello. Group III next summer. He will be 32 at the start of his next contract. Trade him between the draft and next February’s deadline.

Kreider. Two years away from group III. He will be 29. The Rangers would be foolish to give him a long term contract. Kane got $7M. If I’m Kreider,I want the same $7M over 6-7 years. No thanks.
Would rather that the Rangers used a piece like that for Hanifin. Can't have all 18 and 19 year olds. Hanifin had a good season. 32 points including 10 goals last season. Almost definitely a top pairing defenseman soon. If not,a high end 2nd pairing guy.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Would rather that the Rangers used a piece like that for Hanifin. Can't have all 18 and 19 year olds. Hanifin had a good season. 32 points including 10 goals last season. Almost definitely a top pairing defenseman soon. If not,a high end 2nd pairing guy.

What's Carolina's need? Wingers? Centers?

I like Hanifin, may not as a center-piece for Kreider, but I do like Lindholm, too.

Lindholm feels like he's been around for a decade, yet he's 23, a right-handed shot, a versatile forward, and he's a hard-working two-way player. He's the type of player I'd love to have. Hard to hide that I've been a fan for a while.

Could we build something around Kreider and DeAngelo for Hanifin+Lindholm? If Kreider isn't quite enough, does DeAngelo close that gap enough to make it a possibility? It sucks to lose Kreider, but are we willing to extend him 7x7?

Does this help us? Assuming the kids don't all make it.

Spooner - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Namestnikov - Hayes - Zuccs
Vesey - Lindholm - Fast/Andersson/Chytil
Beleskey - Holland - Carey/Fast

Hanifin - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Pionk
Staal - Gilmour/Smith
Kampfer

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I don't want Hanifin, he's a buy high guy because of when he was drafted. Target undervalued players like Klefbom instead. Hanifin is unlikely to ever be a top pairing D-man, meanwhile Klefbom was a top 10 D-man 16/17 and then he was injured, i'll bet on him bouncing back over Hanifin suddenly improving a lot from nowhere. Klefbom will definitely be cheaper to acquire aswell.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't want Hanifin, he's a buy high guy because of when he was drafted. Target undervalued players like Klefbom instead. Hanifin is unlikely to ever be a top pairing D-man, meanwhile Klefbom was a top 10 D-man 16/17 and then he was injured, i'll bet on him bouncing back over Hanifin suddenly improving a lot from nowhere. Klefbom will definitely be cheaper to acquire aswell.

Not really a huge fan of either, when I start to calculate potential cost.

Hanifin has always struck me as a guy with a large degree of talent, but not necessarily to the extent that some of his bigger fans see. Ironically enough, I was having those same discussions back in 2015.

Klefbom is talented, but another one of those guys like Trouba who seems to struggle to stay in the lineup. At 24, going on 25, he’s been a pro for five seasons now and had played more 67 games in a season exactly once.

Reactions: haveandare

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

If Gorton gets Klefbom........

Build a shrine for him, please. Klefbom is legit and for real.

Chiarelli is an idiot. What does he want for Klefbom?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Hanifin has always struck me as a guy with a large degree of talent, but not necessarily to the extent that some of his bigger fans see. Ironically enough, I was having those same discussions back in 2015.

Klefbom is talented, but another one of those guys like Trouba who seems to struggle to stay in the lineup. At 24, going on 25, he’s been a pro for five seasons FOR EDMONTON now and had played more 67 games in a season exactly once.

Fixed that for you.

Reactions: Edge

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Kreider should be the next captain, all things with the roster being equal. He's the guy this organization has been waiting on to finally "get it." His problem has always been consistency. Give him some real responsibility and I think he will thrive.

I wouldn't mind Zucc as captain. The man has the heart of a god damn lion, but he needs to be extended at a reasonable cap hit if that's going to happen. There's no point in handing the captaincy to a guy who could be gone at the deadline. I don't want another Callahan/McDonagh situation with trade speculation.

Otherwise, just pick someone like Staal as a placeholder until a younger player like Andersson grows into the role.

I dont know if Kreider wearing the C is the best idea. Hes a pretty weird dude off the ice, which makes it a little harder for teammates to respect him, thats just natural. Not to mention he hasn’t really done anything to garner that much respect anyways. Zuc would wear it but all signs point to him being shipped off within the year. They will probably go captainless at least for the time being. Maybe Shattenkirk after he gets a full season under his belt.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Klefbom is talented, but another one of those guys like Trouba who seems to struggle to stay in the lineup. At 24, going on 25, he’s been a pro for five seasons now and had played more 67 games in a season exactly once.
Yeah, people seem to think that players getting injured routinely isn't a knock on them. I get it in that it's not their choice, but it's definitely a part of valuing a player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Mika Zibanejad the New York Rangers recruitment ambassador?
Michael Lindqvist also had contact with Rangers Swedish forward Mika Zibanejad before signing the contract.
"I talked to Mika on the phone to hear me talking about it all around. He only had good things to say, which reinforced my already good impression"

Från allsvenskan till Manhattan - på en säsong: "Jag hoppas kunna ta en tröja snabbt" - Hockeysverige
Seems like Mika has been working overtime this offseason already. Helped recruit this guy and also seems to be getting close with Lias and helping him get comfortable.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seems like Mika has been working overtime this offseason already. Helped recruit this guy and also seems to be getting close with Lias and helping him get comfortable.
It seems like Mika may be maturing and ready to make this his team. All of the old guard is gone. He is viewed as the Number one center. He has Lias under him, integral to the future of this organization and its success and thus you have Mika making sure they start to go down the right path.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It seems like Mika may be maturing and ready to make this his team. All of the old guard is gone. He is viewed as the Number one center. He has Lias under him, integral to the future of this organization and its success and thus you have Mika making sure they start to go down the right path.
really hoping so. he's got higher potential than anyone else on the team right now. him taking another step, even a modest step in consistency, could go a long, long way.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know it wont happen but if you could move Spooner. Possibly move Zucc. Sign Tavares and re-sign one of Nash/Grabner. That would be some crazy center depth and talent...all while having more coming down the pipeline.

Nash-Tavares-Chytil
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buch
Lindqvist-Andersson-Hayes
Vesey-Namestnikov-Fast

Maybe you move Vesey as well and sign Roussel. Or Lindqvist is your 13th forward rotating in. But that is a solid forward group without even considering what is happening in Hartford and Juniors/European Leagues.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know it wont happen but if you could move Spooner. Possibly move Zucc. Sign Tavares and re-sign one of Nash/Grabner. That would be some crazy center depth and talent...all while having more coming down the pipeline.

Nash-Tavares-Chytil
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buch
Lindqvist-Andersson-Hayes
Vesey-Namestnikov-Fast

Maybe you move Vesey as well and sign Roussel. Or Lindqvist is your 13th forward rotating in. But that is a solid forward group without even considering what is happening in Hartford and Juniors/European Leagues.
I don't think Nash is a top-line player even with a true 1C like Zibanejad. He was also just injured, again. I think the ship has sailed on him here. Chytil, while super-talented, it seems premature to be putting him on the top line. I don't even know that he's an absolute lock to start in the NHL. And I definitely wouldn't pencil Lindqvist into anything.

I'd also rather leave Hayes at C.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't think Nash is a top-line player even with a true 1C like Zibanejad. He was also just injured, again. I think the ship has sailed on him here. Chytil, while super-talented, it seems premature to be putting him on the top line. I don't even know that he's an absolute lock to start in the NHL. And I definitely wouldn't pencil Lindqvist into anything.

I'd also rather leave Hayes at C.
I understand what youre saying 2k2.

You could easily swap the 1st line with 2nd. Zib and Kreider of capable of handling 1st line minutes imo. Buch has never really been given the chance to show as much. Nash is still capable enough of being a 2nd line winger especially with a center like Tavares, which he has never had a center of his caliber. Chytil also I think can manage in the 2nd line role. Hayes I like at center but I would rather Andersson develop there, and obviously you move Hayes aside for a guy like JT. You also could move Hayes up the lineup in a wing spot. It would be ideal to add Grabner on the cheap on the bottom lines to have the versatility to move him up as well. Roussel isnt a guy id want past the 3rd line on the depth chart. And obviously it would be great to hold onto Zucc, but in this scenario you need his cap hit redistributed, although you could possibly make it work with the cap potentially going up.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If they're unsure about committing to Zucc long-term, I think they probably go with Associates next season.

Even if they were willing to commit to him long term, his play after the letter should disqualify him from even being in consideration for the C.

Other guys stepped up (Hayes, Kreider, Zib, Fast, Skjei.) Not that I think you need to draw a captain out of that group (I don't think there is one in there) but I'd consider those guys more worthy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The reality is the Rangers are going to be looking to guys like him and Kreider to be the leaders and to have strong presences in the organization. Not just on the ice, but off it as well.

That, in combination with their on-ice performance, is going to be determining factor in how the Rangers proceed with Zibanejad and Kreider over the long-haul.

If we're sitting here in January, and Kreider has 10 goals and Zibanejad is hovering around 25 points, I think the Rangers start looking to see what other options are out there.

Reactions: jas and bobbop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad