Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XII: The Great Sell-off of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
He's a bad defensive player and bad possession player, who doesn't shoot and doesn't generate shots, who soaks up secondary assists.

Rinse, repeat.

I'd argue that overall he is not bad defensively, but when he stuffs up it is monumentally bad and agree about possession.

Do we really care about how much he shoots if when he shoots they go in? Since the start of 15-16 he's 2nd on the team in goals scored. It would be great if he shot more, but for all Kreider's shooting he has 5 more gaols over that span.
What ratio of primary/secondary assists would you like to see (for the record he's at 52% 2ndry assist this year, 38% the year before and 42% the year before that. For comparison, CK is 54%, 28% and 41%)?

You certainly don't have to like Miller, and I agree with the general sentiment that he's a ridiculously frustrating player to watch; but your dislike of him seems to be a bit over the top from time to time

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
im right there with the eh. he's okay i don't like him much either. I can see why people would keep him and i can also see why people would want to trade him

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Anyone else on board with trading Zucc and using his AAV to resign Nash? My feeling is we could get more for Zucc, while Nash’s 25 goals and penalty killing would be greatly missed.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else on board with trading Zucc and using his AAV to resign Nash? My feeling is we could get more for Zucc, while Nash’s 25 goals and penalty killing would be greatly missed.
I would trade both and just resign Nash on July 1st. Also down to trade Miller and McDonagh, not necessarily before Feb 26th because we obviously need players to finish the season but I'd like to fully replenish assets.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
I would trade both and just resign Nash on July 1st. Also down to trade Miller and McDonagh, not necessarily before Feb 26th because we obviously need players to finish the season but I'd like to fully replenish assets.
So with Miller that’d be a sign and trade or trading his RFA rights? I don’t think we should burn it all down but if a good enough deal is on the table anyone should be moveable

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ideal off-season for me and not insanely far fetched

New coach
Zucc traded for 1st + prospect
Trade Nash/Grabner/Holden if you can at the deadline

Sign Tavares for 10 per
Resign Nash 3~ish x 3 years (he wants to be here); Grabner too expensive to bring back
Chytil/Andersson/Lettieri up

McDonagh and Shattenkirk back together playing under new defensive scheme for zone defense

Miller at 5 per 4 years, Hayes at 4.7 per 3 years, Vesey at 1.1-1.3, Skjei bridge deal at 2-2.4 for 1-2 years

Nieves could take 4c if one of Andersson or Chytil needs time in the AHL still. Or if centers needs to be moved up/around due to injury. Center flexibility with Miller and Hayes both playing LW (Hayes has played LW for stints with us in the past during injury).

Miller Tavares Nash
Kreider Zib Buch
Hayes Chytil Lettieri
Vesey Andersson Fast

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Staal DeAngelo

Bern?

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
What would be your dream defense to start 2018-19?
I think mine would be
Mac-Skjei
Pionk-Tony D
Smith-Shatty

I know Mac and Skjei are both LHD but I’ve been dying to see that pair for years and I think they could shoulder the 22-24 minutes they’d be given. Of course this would mean keeping McDonagh and buying out Staal tho

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think mine would be
Mac-Skjei
Pionk-Tony D
Smith-Shatty

I know Mac and Skjei are both LHD but I’ve been dying to see that pair for years and I think they could shoulder the 22-24 minutes they’d be given. Of course this would mean keeping McDonagh and buying out Staal tho

I've been calling for a McD and Skjei top pairing for a while now but I don't think an $11+Million 3rd pair is gonna fly..
#JG_Fail

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Was thinking about the incredibly long in depth Roster thread, specifically the amount of players this board has discussed in trades.

The expiring assets
Nash
Grabner
Holden
Desharnais

The Blockbuster to the core
McDonagh
Zuccarello

And a few others mixed in...
Miller
Kreider

The reality is even of this club does indeed decide to "blow it up", it's highly unlikely that we would see more then 2 moves at the deadline. When was the last time a club decided to sell and actually moved more then 2 key players at the deadline? 5 key players at the deadline? It's very unlikely

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
You don't move Miller, Kreider, Zucc or McD at the deadline because you are really limiting yourself to teams who are picking in the second half of each draft round and those who don't want to destabilise their roster by giving up players.
Trading them at the draft opens up much possibility (like with the Stepan trade), except in this case for McD and Zucc they should have been moved at the last draft to maximise their cap hit (2 full seasons vs 1). I'd be very surprised to see either guy moved as the return won't be what Gorton wants.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller and another asset moved at the draft, as well as our UFAs at the TDL

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyone else terrified that the Red Wings might trade Howard into the Metro? Like say to the Isles. Dude kills us.

Are the Islanders likely to knock us out of the playoffs this year? I don't think so. Howard won't fix their problems anyway--even if he does play great against the Rangers. He's only an okay starter.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think mine would be
Mac-Skjei
Pionk-Tony D
Smith-Shatty

Probably doesn't have Staal or Smith on it. Its hard to figure out. Staal, Smith, McDonagh could all go.

McDonagh-Skjei
Graves-Shattenkirk
Bereglazov-DeAngelo
Kampfer

Pionk can be first call up from Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad