Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XII: The Great Sell-off of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I want picks but I prefer younger players a little further down their development path. Eliminates some risk. Also eliminates some potential "boom," but still. A good mix is what I'd like. I don't just want a crapload of picks because we'll **** that up.

Agreed. Although the only issue with younger players a bit more developed is that if they are developing right, they end up costing more. One of the upsides with that type of player is that you put yourself that much closer to a quicker rebuild.

I'd like a mix. I'd like a mix of guys who are on a certain development path and picks. I think we can maximize our return by going that route.

I'll take the risk with picks but I do want some more established (to a point) younger guys.

What I don't want is a bunch of B-level prospects. If we have to choose between B-level guys, give me picks any day.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Ideal off-season for me and not insanely far fetched

New coach
Zucc traded for 1st + prospect
Trade Nash/Grabner/Holden if you can at the deadline

Sign Tavares for 10 per
Resign Nash 3~ish x 3 years (he wants to be here); Grabner too expensive to bring back
Chytil/Andersson/Lettieri up

McDonagh and Shattenkirk back together playing under new defensive scheme for zone defense

Miller at 5 per 4 years, Hayes at 4.7 per 3 years, Vesey at 1.1-1.3, Skjei bridge deal at 2-2.4 for 1-2 years

Nieves could take 4c if one of Andersson or Chytil needs time in the AHL still. Or if centers needs to be moved up/around due to injury. Center flexibility with Miller and Hayes both playing LW (Hayes has played LW for stints with us in the past during injury).

Miller Tavares Nash
Kreider Zib Buch
Hayes Chytil Lettieri
Vesey Andersson Fast

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Staal DeAngelo

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Inferno

The other thread closed before I could get my hands on it, but I wanted to still touch on it.

I get what you're saying. Even without the coach, this team is not a contender. A good team? Yes, I think so, potentially. Stanley Cup? They'd have to get lucky. I get that.

But here's my thing, you brought it up and everyone brings it up, and that's the lack of star power at forward, namely a number 1 center. However, you're then advocating trading our #1 defensemen, which 1)doesn't necessarily get us closer to a franchise center and 2)if it does, it'll just give us the same team, with the same problem, in a different position. We'll have the center instead of the defenseman.

I agree that this team isn't a Cup winner right now, but I never understood the logic that moving further away from the Cup short-term gets you closer long-term. At best, it's a roll of the dice.

I do understand that you need to keep getting younger little by little and I also understand the risk of contracts, and the idea that you shouldn't throw money around when you're not in the running anyway.

But I have few issues

1)Zuccarello I could get behind, but McDonagh is your #1 defensemen, which I'd argue is more important than the coveted center. We would be ripping a massive hole into our team for who knows how long, to have a CHANCE, at MAYBE getting closer to that center.

2)Even if we draft the center, we've accomplished absolutely nothing if we don't also replace McDonagh. The chances of drafting both within the next 5 years is slim to none.

3)Everyone is worried about an 8 year contract because we're not contenders now, which I think is absolutely foolish. 8 years is an eon in today's NHL. You can't make 8 year plans based on where you are now. The depth of a roster overturns constantly. We could have the best roster in the league in 3 years, or we could have the worst. (I mean depth, aside from those two big pieces) Roster overturn is extremely short-term. Let me tell you what's long-term - finding a Stanley Cup caliber #1 center/defenseman package. You can go 5, 10, 20 years without finding one. We know this from experience. The few teams that do win multiple Cups. As far as the rest of the team, you can always cross that bridge when you come to it, but you have to hold onto prime pieces, because sometimes they just don't come back around.

4) With all due respect to Stepan, Zibanejad, and even my f***ing husband Brassard, we haven't had a Toews/Kopitar/Bergeron/Crosby (nobody is Crosby, but you know what I mean) level center since Gretzky retried. We know how difficult that is. Now, we have a good enough #1 D to win it all, and despite the fact that we haven't had the center all these years, people are still willing to let go of it.

The roster you posted looks good and has a ton of potential. What if they never reach it because they never find a Stanley Cup #1 defenseman, just like the '13, '14, '15 team never found a center? And on top of that, the roster you posted still doesn't have the center! So what have we accomplished?

The only way I move McDonagh is for an absolute can't miss franchise D like Makar/Heiskanen, and frankly, I don't think we get that back.

Anything short of that is putting a contention-crippling hole in our lineup for a bunch of dice rolls.

And if this is a total reset for the sake of a reset, just because we haven't won the Cup, well then those almost never work.

Reactions: jas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ideal off-season for me and not insanely far fetched

New coach
Zucc traded for 1st + prospect
Trade Nash/Grabner/Holden if you can at the deadline

Sign Tavares for 10 per
Resign Nash 3~ish x 3 years (he wants to be here); Grabner too expensive to bring back
Chytil/Andersson/Lettieri up

McDonagh and Shattenkirk back together playing under new defensive scheme for zone defense

Miller at 5 per 4 years, Hayes at 4.7 per 3 years, Vesey at 1.1-1.3, Skjei bridge deal at 2-2.4 for 1-2 years

Nieves could take 4c if one of Andersson or Chytil needs time in the AHL still. Or if centers needs to be moved up/around due to injury. Center flexibility with Miller and Hayes both playing LW (Hayes has played LW for stints with us in the past during injury).

Miller Tavares Nash
Kreider Zib Buch
Hayes Chytil Lettieri
Vesey Andersson Fast

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Staal DeAngelo

We're never getting Nash at 3 x 3, I don't care how bad he wants to be here. And reading "Miller at 5 per" significantly reduced my life expectancy.

But that's a Cup-winning roster.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If we hold onto McDonagh and use traded space to sign Tavares then we can compete for the Cup for the next few years no doubt.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
We're never getting Nash at 3 x 3, I don't care how bad he wants to be here. And reading "Miller at 5 per" significantly reduced my life expectancy.

But that's a Cup-winning roster.
Still works cap-wise with Nash at 3.5, if you want to then bring Miller down to 4.5 and Nash up to 3.7

Tavares 10
Nash 4
Zib 5.35
Kreider 4.625
Miller 4.5
Hayes 4.7
Fast 1.85
Buch .925
Vesey 1.1
Chytil .925
Andersson .925
Lettieri .925
Extra forward 1.1

Forwards - 41.125

McDonagh 4.7
Shattenkirk 6.65
Staal 5.7
Smith 4.35
Skjei 2.1
DeAngelo .863
Kampfer .65

Defense - 25.213

Girardi 3.611

Lundqvist - 8.5
Backup 1.1

Total 78.85

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And I must appeal to @silverfish for help on this one,

Here's a thought...

Vesey + Miller @ 7.5m AAV combined
or
McDonagh @ 7.5m AAV

Everyone wants to avoid the latter so desperately, but we're all but nailed to the proverbial cross on the former and nobody bats an eye.

Vesey and Miller at 7.5 is pretty much taking 4-5 million in cap space and burning it in the furnace.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
McDonagh at 9 million is probably a 20% overpayment.

Miller at 5 million is a 100% overpayment.

Vesey is almost worthless so his overpayment is infinity.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
We also got incredibly lucky by drafting arguably our best player ever in the 7th round and then trading a cap anchor for our 1D and captain who agreed to sign a ridiculously low contract. The odds that both of these things happen next time around are slim to none. Take Hank and McDonagh off the team and we fail to make the playoffs almost every year. I know some will wonder why I say to take them off the team, so let me spell it out: because that was incredible luck and odds are we will not get this lucky next time around, so if we follow the same strategy of collapsing for 6 years (1998-2004) and then half-assed quick rebuilding, we will not wind up with 3 ECFs, we will wind up consistently drafting 8-14 overall.

I disagree with some of the assumptions this post makes.

If you take away Hank how does 05-09 go? What different prospects do we get? Does Talbot end up our starter? Do we trade for a Luongo instead of Florida? Or do we draft someone just like how the organization has Igor in the pipeline without dropping a miracle seventh on him?

The NYR current FO has been around for a long time, its scout team, for the most part has been around for a LOOONG time. And that same scout team has been a part of a plethora of , imo, very very good trades for prospects and young NHL players.

We also had a potential superstar flat out die and we had a solid top 4 D have a career ending freak concussion. Which are incredibly bad odds that I can['t think of happening to too many franchises. Not to mention taking McI in part to protect Hank (which was always idiotic) but if we don't have hank...

Our only good drafted player wasn't just Hank and our only good trade wasn't just McD.(Obviously, this implies I think our good moves far outweigh our bad)

I think you get a much more accurate view of how things can go for us by looking at our trades for young talent and our drafts. Looking at those, I think it's a safer assumption to view things the way I do. But your view of things is also perfectly reasonable even if I disagree with it.

Also usually people say things like "Let me spell this out for you" after at least a little back and forth where the other person can't get simple concepts. We didn't really speak about this so I don't think I needed it dumbed down. At least give me the chance to frustrate you with my inferior intellect before dumbing it down for me.

Hell as I was writing my other post I did think about mentioning how lucky Hank was but then i'd have to type all the crap I just had to type and I hoped I wouldn't need to.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can we PLEASE move JT Miller? I think we could get good value for him, frankly.
giphy.gif

(I know your post doesn't mean you hate JTM, I just wanted to use the gif).

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Can we PLEASE move JT Miller? I think we could get good value for him, frankly.

I'm not against moving Miller, but if we are talking about shipping him off as well as the upcoming UFAs in Nash and Grabner, and maybe Zucc, you're talking about moving 4 of the top point producing Ranger forwards over the past 2.5 season, and that's after you've already moved Stepan.
Yeah there's trades and FA as replacements, but that is a huge hit to forward corps of this team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not against moving Miller, but if we are talking about shipping him off as well as the upcoming UFAs in Nash and Grabner, and maybe Zucc, you're talking about moving 4 of the top point producing Ranger forwards over the past 2.5 season, and that's after you've already moved Stepan.
Yeah there's trades and FA as replacements, but that is a huge hit to forward corps of this team.

Good. Considering how much f***ing trouble this team has scoring, that's not exactly something I am worried about. Perhaps one of the reasons we have trouble scoring is that our scorers are merely adequate. I'm more than fine with moving adequate players.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’d frankly move anyone because I root for the name on the front, not the back. That being said, I want an identity re-established for #RangersHockey. Torts had his black and blueshirts. AV had his run n gun style that went stale 2 years ago. I want someone to mold this team to play an aggressive north-south game because we’ve seen our kids play well in this system in the past. It suits us too since we have guys that are good at getting from the d-zone through the neutral zone. I’m tired of lazy, half-assed hockey.

Reactions: Cheapshot

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Good. Considering how much ****ing trouble this team has scoring, that's not exactly something I am worried about. Perhaps one of the reasons we have trouble scoring is that our scorers are merely adequate. I'm more than fine with moving adequate players.

We are 8th, 4th and 8th in goals scored across the league over the same time period (2.5 seasons), scoring goals doesn't really seem to be the issue...

And I agree, moving adequate players is fine, but it also likely means you are only getting adequate players back, so is it really worth it?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Good. Considering how much ****ing trouble this team has scoring, that's not exactly something I am worried about. Perhaps one of the reasons we have trouble scoring is that our scorers are merely adequate. I'm more than fine with moving adequate players.

This team is currently tied for 9th in the league in Goals per game and has been a main stay in the top 10 since the 2014-15 season.

They've got some glaring holes and major issues behind the bench, but scoring goals is not and has not been a problem for them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Miller is only worth 2.5?

lol k.

I do think that if there is an "out of left field" trade of one of our guys, it will be Miller.

He's a bad defensive player and bad possession player, who doesn't shoot and doesn't generate shots, who soaks up secondary assists.

There's been many players like that around the NHL and their contracts are always catastrophes.

Sooner or later, the Rangers will stop scoring on every fifth shot they take with Miller on the ice, he'll put up a 10/20/30 season, and everyone will be surprised despite the warnings coming two years prior.

Rinse, repeat.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's a bad defensive player and bad possession player, who doesn't shoot and doesn't generate shots, who soaks up secondary assists.

There's been many players like that around the NHL and their contracts are always catastrophes.

Sooner or later, the Rangers will stop scoring on every fifth shot they take with Miller on the ice, he'll put up a 10/20/30 season, and everyone will surprised despite the warnings coming two years prior.

Rinse, repeat.

Soon to be three years prior, seeing as he's already eclipsed those numbers this year and is on his way to a second consecutive 50 point season.

At some point, it isn't just "luck." I'm not against moving him because I don't think hes irreplaceable and one of the few pieces we have that I actually think would be overvalued by another team, but he's much better than you think he is.

Reactions: Off Sides

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Miller’s 24, and like most 24 year olds, he’s still growing. And despite not having Kreiders speed, he’s already surpassed CK’s highest point total in a season.

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad