Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think re-uniting Trouba and Miller isn't really that bad of a play. Trouba and Gustafsson have been getting pinned. Gus in particular has had trouble clearing the zone and Trouba gets caught flat footed on their forecheck. By splitting them, you have one of Schneider, Miller, and Fox on the ice at all times. Particularly when RBA has the last change.
We should have Jones on the ice instead of Gus.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Miller and Schneider are the only pair that have played to (or close to) even at 5v5.

Naturally they get broken up and Trouba moves up so he can be keyed on even more.

This is AV levels of malpractice.
It could cost the series as dramatic as that sounds

Trouba lost us game 4 along with a horrible goal allowed by Shesterkin

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd have to imagine at least some of that is Lindgren on ice with Trouba with the Rangers turtling getting caved 6v5 a couple times.

Still very not good.

Funny enough, his 20.5% xGF with Trouba is the highest it is with a non fox partner and his xGA per minute played is better than it is with the other guys.

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 2.56.32 PM.png

Remember for a second that xGF/GA build up is impacted by TOI.

In about 17 minutes away from Fox, Lindgren's xGA is 3.22(!)

Do I think that his numbers would look more favorable if he were getting bottom pair minutes in a sheltered role? I do. The split time shit above is kind of wonky for him and I can guarantee that most of that xGA build up with Gus was on the Lapierre GA in g4 of the Washington series (Where Lindgren DOES deserve some of the blame but not all of it. It wasn't too different from the Staal goal last game - Same forward line was out for both btw.)

But he doesn't play that, instead he's attached to our best defenseman and is dragging him down to the depths of hell. He's a bigger hinderance for Fox than Fox's knee is.

Reactions: effen

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
I think we can talk about line pairings, strategy, etc. 'til the cows come home and it won't make a difference if they come out flat. The difference to me between wins and losses in the playoffs is oftentimes about JAM (to use a Torts word). It's the friggin' playoffs! Come out like you mean it! Show some energy! Hit someone. Outwork your opponent. Win the corner battles. You do this and all of a sudden passes click, shots go in and you get bounces. They simply haven't done ANY of this the past few games. They look like they're playing in the preseason. It's unacceptable. So either Lavi or someone else reads them the riot act or they're doneski.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Funny enough, his 20.5% xGF with Trouba is the highest it is with a non fox partner and his xGA per minute played is better than it is with the other guys.

View attachment 871275

Remember for a second that xGF/GA build up is impacted by TOI.

In about 17 minutes away from Fox, Lindgren's xGA is 3.22(!)

Do I think that his numbers would look more favorable if he were getting bottom pair minutes in a sheltered role? I do. The split time shit above is kind of wonky for him and I can guarantee that most of that xGA build up with Gus was on the Lapierre GA in g4 of the Washington series (Where Lindgren DOES deserve some of the blame but not all of it. It wasn't too different from the Staal goal last game - Same forward line was out for both btw.)

But he doesn't play that, instead he's attached to our best defenseman and is dragging him down to the depths of hell. He's a bigger hinderance for Fox than Fox's knee is.
These numbers are absolutely BS. Lindgren has started every shift with Fox except end of games or a shift or two with Trouba after 4 on 4s end. That's the rotation with 4 on 4s (Gus/Fox, Sch/Miller then Gus/Fox to end the 4 on 4) then 1st 5 on 5 is Trouba/Lindgren. That's in the 9 Trouba minutes. As for the other minutes. That all comes down to when one of our defensemen goes off for a change.and the other guy is stuck.on the ice. In that case we are stuck in our end trying to clear the puck. Of course there's no offense. We are scrambling to clear the puck. One D is skating in sand because he's been out there too long. And once we transition to offense, the stuck guy gets off. So take that 8 minutes (non Trouba time) and stick it.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
She was the one who chose them to answer. I asked a couple and she ignored me.

She didn't answer my two questions either.

1. "Do you think the Rangers would've gone 16-0 in the playoffs and won the Cup if they all religiously took jardiance daily?"

2. "Is there any chance Drury can acquire Cup winning Brett Howden, aka the GOAT, in time for Game 6 so he can show the Rangers how to win?"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
These numbers are absolutely BS. Lindgren has started every shift with Fox except end of games or a shift or two with Trouba after 4 on 4s end. That's the rotation with 4 on 4s (Gus/Fox, Sch/Miller then Gus/Fox to end the 4 on 4) then 1st 5 on 5 is Trouba/Lindgren. That's in the 9 Trouba minutes. As for the other minutes. That all comes down to when one of our defensemen goes off for a change.and the other guy is stuck.on the ice. In that case we are stuck in our end trying to clear the puck. Of course there's no offense. We are scrambling to clear the puck. One D is skating in sand because he's been out there too long. And once we transition to offense, the stuck guy gets off. So take that 8 minutes (non Trouba time) and stick it.

They aren’t bs, it’s what’s happened when he’s been out there with other guys.

I mentioned that some of it is circumstantial, but not all of it can be. Plus I’m pretty certain that NST separates 6v5 from the equation (one of the things that they do right) so it's not lopping those late game shooting gallery minutes in there.

The other guys have to split shifts with other D too because as you’ve mentioned it just happens sometimes. None of them struggle that much.

But it’s just in addition to what the bigger issue is, which is what he does to Fox.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Honestly, my issue is that over the course of the season reading how shitty we are after every game and the Canes being picked to be cup champions it makes me wonder if they're just not better than us. Even if you take away their history and take away the no show last game I wonder if we're just not a worse team. Winning two games against a team you'e better than is not that challenging of a task.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just got laid off. Need this W tomorrow! LGR
I obviously don't know the context here but I was finally laid off late in 2021 after two years of budget anxiety. Kept me up all night every night.

Once it finally happened, it was the best thing I could have asked for. I'm making twice as much now.

I hope this ends up being a road to better things for you.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, my issue is that over the course of the season reading how shitty we are after every game and the Canes being picked to be cup champions it makes me wonder if they're just not better than us. Even if you take away their history and take away the no show last game I wonder if we're just not a worse team. Winning two games against a team you'e better than is not that challenging of a task.
They are a little bit better than us. Sorry, just my opinion.

The best team doesn't always win.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
They aren’t bs, it’s what’s happened when he’s been out there with other guys.

I mentioned that some of it is circumstantial, but not all of it can be. Plus I’m pretty certain that NST separates 6v5 from the equation (one of the things that they do right) so it's not lopping those late game shooting gallery minutes in there.

The other guys have to split shifts with other D too because as you’ve mentioned it just happens sometimes. None of them struggle that much.

But it’s just in addition to what the bigger issue is, which is what he does to Fox.
It's less than 1 minute per game where Lindgren plays with the 4 other guys. One freaking minute. One shift where Gus ices the puck when he's tired and cant get off. One shift in the 2nd period where we are hemmed in. That's a BS stat to use to force your agenda. I just explained to you where those 8 minutes came from. We all know we aren't getting offense from Trouba and Lindgren together especially since most of that is them defending a lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad