Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We could move Trouba in another deal to make cap space.

He’d cost a lot though
Still need to fix ld, replace Trouba, pay Kakko, and Schneider.
that’s probably 15m if done right.
Buying out Goodrow, and moving Trouba would probably make it work with the cap increase. But it’ll be tight.
So unless we’re making another big move, that’s not happening

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If hypothetically we were to at least make it to ECF were likely just completely running it back next year and starting the season

Kreider-mika-kakko
Panarin-trocheck-laff
Cuylle-chytil-vesey
Edstrom-goodrow-rempe
Brodz

Lindy-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

2024 UFA class is kinda trash and we’ll be able to clear space and reload for the big 2025 and 2026 ufa classes

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If hypothetically we were to at least make it to ECF were likely just completely running it back next year and starting the season

Kreider-mika-kakko
Panarin-trocheck-laff
Cuylle-chytil-vesey
Edstrom-goodrow-rempe
Brodz

Lindy-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

2024 UFA class is kinda trash and we’ll be able to clear space and reload for the big 2025 and 2026 ufa classes
Having Fox/Miller/Schneider as 3 of top 6 D for the foreseeable future is great. And shesty between the pipes.
It’s should make this team a powerhouse for the next 5-7 years.
I think Lindgren stays for 2-3 more seasons here at least, if not top pairing then 3rd pairing.
IMO management has been banking on KAM-Schneider becoming the long term 2nd pairing and this season it’s actually happening.
I’d love to add Guhle. He’s going to be a player and could be an ideal partner for Fox in 1-2 years.
I wonder if we can get him out of Montreal? Maybe a 3-way deal since gorts /Drury have bad blood?

Saving grace is LD seem to be easier/more plentiful to acquire then RD…… he’s in the mold I’d look for foxs long term LD partner.

I’d also wager 1 of Berard/Othmann making the team from training camp next season

Reactions: Kendo and noncents

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rempe had ANOTHER solid game
scored a G was net (+/-) +
This guy deserves mo opportunity not less

also need to make space for Eds

do not buy out Good
trade him retained 1.x to 2.0 per
where he has positive value
Good + 5th + 6th for a 3rd + 4th
somethin like dat

Wennberg, someone remind me
is last day we can trade pending ufa
immediately after our last day in POs [hopefully cup win]
or is it a few days after that?

Habs likely pay small consideration to get first dibs shot at him before ufa hits
maybe discount price on surplus RD Barron a bit

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Having Fox/Miller/Schneider as 3 of top 6 D for the foreseeable future is great. And shesty between the pipes.
It’s should make this team a powerhouse for the next 5-7 years.
I think Lindgren stays for 2-3 more seasons here at least, if not top pairing then 3rd pairing.
IMO management has been banking on KAM-Schneider becoming the long term 2nd pairing and this season it’s actually happening.
I’d love to add Guhle. He’s going to be a player and could be an ideal partner for Fox in 1-2 years.
I wonder if we can get him out of Montreal? Maybe a 3-way deal since gorts /Drury have bad blood?

Saving grace is LD seem to be easier/more plentiful to acquire then RD…… he’s in the mold I’d look for foxs long term LD partner.

I’d also wager 1 of Berard/Othmann making the team from training camp next season
Ive watched a good bit of pack games, othmann is no where near ready. Berard is closer but I think he could use a little more time with the pack as well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ive watched a good bit of pack games, othmann is no where near ready. Berard is closer but I think he could use a little more time with the pack as well.
While there are still things that Othmann needs to work on, I wouldn't say that he's nowhere near ready. He will challenge for a roster spot next season. Maybe he will make the team, maybe he won't, but he isn't that far off. He just needs to keep progressing.

Berard's game is more polished. He will challenge for a spot next year as well.

All that said, neither player would be hurt by spending more time in the AHL.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Elliotte Friedman and Kevin Kurz from The Athletic mentioned Joel Farabee could be moved this summer. You could see that one coming from a mile away. Kurz wrote Briere would consider a young player for young player trade.

Kakko will not be happy returning in the 3rd line player role with zero time on special teams. 12-13 minutes per game is not going to cut it. Kakko will be entering his sixth pro season. He wants more time.
I know you're musing mostly, but... you talk about a Kakko trade like it's imminent as much as you did the Goodrow buy-out that was going to happen for a Cap credit two summers ago. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Kreider-mika-kakko
Panarin-trocheck-laff
Cuylle-chytil-vesey
Edstrom-goodrow-rempe
Brodz

Lindy-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

Agrée, Othmann and Berard will challenge for spots and Scanlin/Mackey are prob ahead of Robertson for the 7th.

Don't look now, but Barclay "Conn Smythe" Goodrow is leading the team in scoring in the playoffs.
That’s great news, some team is gonna want a 3.6 mil Conn Smythe guy with intangibles.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I know you're musing mostly, but... you talk about a Kakko trade like it's imminent as much as you did the Goodrow buy-out that was going to happen for a Cap credit two summers ago. I don't think he's going anywhere.
This. I’m thinking we get another year out of Kakko being here at least.
If he is unhappy with his situation and doesn’t plan on signing long term, he’ll likely be dealt.
But it’s bad business to deal him after an injury riddled season while his value is at its lowest.
I’d be shocked if Kakko ( and his agent) want to commit to anything beyond 1-2 years here….
He’s not going to get any type of guarantees besides a top 9 spot somewhere.
It honestly wouldn’t shock me if he wants more of an opportunity for top 6 min/special teams time with a different organization.
Best case scenario is Kreider-Zibby-Kakko start the season next year with chemistry and he takes off from there. Otherwise 3rd line 30-40pts is what should be expected with no real PP/PK time

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
A lot can happen from now til next training camp.
I’d keep Othmann in HFD for another half-full year with an injury call up here and there.
Berard is pretty close to being ready imo. He should have no problem Easing into a 3rd line role by then.

I don’t know how many first year guys Lavi plans to start the year with.

Edstrom should start the year as 4C, but that will depend on them moving Goodrow.
He might not want 2/3 of the 4th line to be rookies with vesey, or at least have a UFA vet or a guy like brod there to alternate.

Goodrow wears a A and Trouba has the C. I’m sure both are thought of highly in the room. Moving both out/if possible, other guys need to fill those shoes.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This. I’m getting we get another year out of Kakko being here at least.
If he is unhappy with his situation and doesn’t plan on signing long term, he’ll likely be dealt.
But it’s bad business to deal him after an injury riddled season while his value is at its lowest.
I’d be shocked if Kakko ( and his agent) want to commit to anything beyond 1-2 years here….
It honestly wouldn’t shock me if he wants more of an opportunity for top 6 min/special teams time with a different organization.
Best case scenario is Kreider-Zibby-Kakko start the season next year with chemistry and he takes off from there. Otherwise 3rd line 30-40pts is what should be expected with no real PP/PK time

Hes a Jesper Fast type player in terms of effectiveness imo. Can make a good living doing that for a winner. But I agree if Kakko fancies himself a top line player, he will be dealt in the next year+. The best thing for all parties in the meantime is to get his name on the Cup first

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This. I’m getting we get another year out of Kakko being here at least.
disagree
KK + Cuylle have chem
do not screw w/it
Wenn is def superior, but nothing off.
1. Chytil
2. If no FC, and nothing like Zegras for Othmann + small add
then
Cuy - Eds - KK
no trying to force KK we Kreid + Zib
not now

A lot can happen from now til next training camp.
I’d keep Othmann in HFD for another half-full year with an injury call up here and there.
Berard is pretty close to being ready imo. He should have no problem Easing into a 3rd line role by then.

I don’t know how many first year guys Lavi plans to start the year with.

Edstrom should start the year as 4C, but that will depend on them moving Goodrow.
He might not want 2/3 of the 4th line to be rookies with vesey, or at least have a UFA vet or a guy like brod there to alternate.

Goodrow wears a A and Trouba has the C. I’m sure both are thought of highly in the room. Moving both out/if possible, other guys need to fill those shoes.
No, eff stupidly denying deserving youth
Eds deserved from before
Def should have shot ahead of Wenn, Good at min

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Hes a Jesper Fast type player in terms of effectiveness imo. Can make a good living doing that for a winner. But I agree if Kakko fancies himself a top line player, he will be dealt in the next year+. The best thing for all parties in the meantime is to get his name on the Cup first
That seems a little close-minded. I'd say comping him to Fast right now, sure, he hasn't truly blossomed offensively despite some nice streaks here and there. Writing he 'can make a good living doing that' implies that's his ceiling. That might be your opinion, but it's not factual.

It's more fair to assume his ceiling is higher and that he's been held back at times, more than it to assume he's maxed out his potential.

For me, I'd be more than willing and happy to be he hasn't. I think Drury and Co are in the same camp.

Do we have an actual source saying KK is looking for more top-6 minutes and not happy with his role?

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
That seems a little close-minded. I'd say comping him to Fast right now, sure, he hasn't truly blossomed offensively despite some nice streaks here and there. Writing he 'can make a good living doing that' implies that's his ceiling. That might be your opinion, but it's not factual.

It's more fair to assume his ceiling is higher and that he's been held back at times, more than it to assume he's maxed out his potential.

For me, I'd be more than willing and happy to be he hasn't. I think Drury and Co are in the same camp.

Do we have an actual source saying KK is looking for more top-6 minutes and not happy with his role?
I recall 2 or 3 times in interviews, he mentioned lack of opportunity/playing time. Never a good sign.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I’d imagine any player drafted in the top 5 absolutely wants to always be on the ice. You don’t get drafted that high without that (so long as the scouting is done right)

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

KK had mentioned in a few off-season interviews that he wanted more ice time/a bigger role, but I also remember some snippets from him saying that he knows he has to be better and has to prove that to the team. Question is does he think he's still getting the short end of the stick usage-wise staying with NYR or is he happy playing a ~3rd line role for a Cup contender.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
There were some close calls for bonuses. Ottawa’s Jake Sanderson missed a fifth bonus of $212,500 this season by one measly point. His contract called for 0.49 points per game or better, and he finished with 0.481. New York Rangers forward Will Cuylle needed one more game for an $82,500 games played bonus. And Los Angeles Kings breakout star Quinton Byfield nailed his goals (20) and assists (35) bonuses squarely on the head.
Remember when Cuylle was scratched for the Panthers game and everyone thought it was weird? Did the Rangers make him a healthy scratch to save $82,500?

The Rangers will have $512,500 cap overage for next season. It would be be $25,000 more if the Rangers win the Cup. Quick has that bonus.

$300,000 for Wheeler
$75,000 for Quick

The other $137,500 came from Schneider and maybe Cuylle.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Remember when Cuylle was scratched for the Panthers game and everyone thought it was weird? Did the Rangers make him a healthy scratch to save $82,500?

The Rangers will have $512,500 cap overage for next season. It would be be $25,000 more if the Rangers win the Cup. Quick has that bonus.

$300,000 for Wheeler
$75,000 for Quick

The other $137,500 came from Schneider and maybe Cuylle.

It seems likely. Should have done it earlier in the season if they wanted to be less obvious about it, but a bonus based on 82 games played shouldn't be considered a guarantee, regardless.

Maybe they told him they'd make it up to him in his next contract.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Kreider-mika-kakko
Panarin-trocheck-laff
Cuylle-chytil-vesey
Edstrom-goodrow-rempe
Brodz

Lindy-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

Put Berard on the first line which actualliy is our third line. He is the only one who can save them (kidding a little). Don't wanna see Kakko there unless he's the only RW left on earth.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad