Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Flyers just got a new goalie. Had good stats in Russia. Wonder how he will do here.
Wont be instant.
Even Igor needed about 1/2 a season in the ahl to adjust.
The angles are very different and you have a lot more bumping around the net to adjust to.

Should help them since Ersson is running on fumes but correct me if I'm wrong he's not eligible for the playoffs
He is. Briere confirmed he was on the roster list.

Reactions: bl02

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tough to say…
Definitely worse. But NYR as a franchise would never sit on that much Cap/money.
They would have def traded/signed someone else.

i would love to snag Guhle from them some how….
He’s a guy who I think who be ideal for a Fox partner…
MTL also has a loaded stable of D prospects and are in need of nhl ready Fwds
He’s going through the trials and tribulations of a sophomore slump this season, but he’s going to be a really good player.
Drury and gorton don’t like each other, so I don’t think they will be looking to deal tbh.
If NYR were to deal Kakko, ( not saying they should or will) Guhle would be the type of trade I’d want in return.
The Habs aren’t trading Guhle. He would be the perfect guy for the Rangers. I wanted the Rangers to send Lundkvist to Montreal for Guhle in the 21-22 season and Kakko for Guhle earlier this season.

Kakko for Guhle. Everyday. Gorton was on a recent video podcast with Jimmy Murphy and Pierre McGuire. Gorton mentioned Guhle as one of the players the Habs are building around.

Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti mentioned their discussion with Avs GM Chris McFarland after the 2nd period. McFarland said Ryan Lindgren playes like an old school player/throw back from a different era. I am sure other teams like Lindgren.

Kakko trade. Don't trade him for a bag of old pucks. Byram for Mittelstadt trade. Maybe someone like Joel Farabee. Ron Hextall was the Flyers GM who drafted Farabee. Chuck Fletcher was the Flyers GM who gave Farabee the long term contract extension. Daniel Briere is the GM in Philly. He has no loyalty to Farabee. John Tortorella has a rocky relationship with Farabee. Last season, Frank Seravalli reported Farabee wanted to be traded. Frank knows the Flyers situation because he was a Flyers beat writer for the Philadelphia Daily News before becoming a national hockey reporter. The Flyers did not trade Farabee. Even this season, Torts benched Farabee one game because Farabee doesn't listen to him. There was speculation Torts may not coach next season. Elliotte Friedman said he spoke with Keith Jones who said Torts will be the Flyers coach next season.

Farabee went to BU and the Rangers have the BU conections with Drury and Lilley. Farabee has four more seasons remaining on his contract. $5M cap hit. Would the Flyers consider moving Farabee this summer? Farabee is better suited as a 2nd line guy but could he be answer to RW with Zibanejad and Kreider? Farabee is a natural RW but Torts has him on LW. Kakko will look for a decent raise on his next deal. The $5M cap hit is reasonable.

Maybe Anton Lundell? If Chytil can't resume his career, the Rangers will need a center. There is no one in the organization to fill that hole. Lundell is a group ii this summer.

The Rangers need a 1RW. They don't like Kakko on the top line. Maybe a C if Chytil can't play anymore. A LD if the Rangers don't want to pay Lindgren.

The Rangers trade Kakko for one of those three needs. Young players.

Othmann replaces Kakko on the 3rd line for less than $900,000.

Another guy is Travis Konecny. He is a little older at 27. He has one more season remaining on his contract. $5.5M cap hit. EF said the Flyers will re-sign Konecny to a long term deal but it will be very expensive. If the Flyers can't agree to terms, Konecny would be an interesting guy if the Rangers could sign him.

The Rangers should move their first round pick for a NHL player this summer. Dolan wanted a splash at The Sphere. The Rangers will be the Cup champions and every team will congratulate them when they are making their picks or the Rangers make a big trade.

Kakko and the 1st round pick for Konecny. The Rangers will need come up with $8M for Konecny. The Flyers will probably pay Konecny.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Habs aren’t trading Guhle. He would be the perfect guy for the Rangers. I wanted the Rangers to send Lundkvist to Montreal for Guhle in the 21-22 season and Kakko for Guhle earlier this season.

Kakko for Guhle. Everyday. Gorton was on a recent video podcast with Jimmy Murphy and Pierre McGuire. Gorton mentioned Guhle as one of the players the Habs are building around.

Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti mentioned their discussion with Avs GM Chris McFarland after the 2nd period. McFarland said Ryan Lindgren playes like an old school player/throw back from a different era. I am sure other teams like Lindgren.

Kakko trade. Don't trade him for a bag of old pucks. Byram for Mittelstadt trade. Maybe someone like Joel Farabee. Ron Hextall was the Flyers GM who drafted Farabee. Chuck Fletcher was the Flyers GM who gave Farabee the long term contract extension. Daniel Briere is the GM in Philly. He has no loyalty to Farabee. John Tortorella has a rocky relationship with Farabee. Last season, Frank Seravalli reported Farabee wanted to be traded. Frank knows the Flyers situation because he was a Flyers beat writer for the Philadelphia Daily News before becoming a national hockey reporter. The Flyers did not trade Farabee. Even this season, Torts benched Farabee one game because Farabee doesn't listen to him. There was speculation Torts may not coach next season. Elliotte Friedman said he spoke with Keith Jones who said Torts will be the Flyers coach next season.

Farabee went to BU and the Rangers have the BU conections with Drury and Lilley. Farabee has four more seasons remaining on his contract. $5M cap hit. Would the Flyers consider moving Farabee this summer? Farabee is better suited as a 2nd line guy but could he be answer to RW with Zibanejad and Kreider? Farabee is a natural RW but Torts has him on LW. Kakko will look for a decent raise on his next deal. The $5M cap hit is reasonable.

Maybe Anton Lundell? If Chytil can't resume his career, the Rangers will need a center. There is no one in the organization to fill that hole. Lundell is a group ii this summer.

The Rangers need a 1RW. They don't like Kakko on the top line. Maybe a C if Chytil can't play anymore. A LD if the Rangers don't want to pay Lindgren.

Another guy is Travis Konecny. He is a little older at 27. He has one more season remaining on his contract. $5.5M cap hit. EF said the Flyers will re-sign Konecny to a long term deal but it will be very expensive. If the Flyers can't agree to terms, Konecny would be an interesting guy if the Rangers could sign him.

The Rangers should move their first round pick for a NHL player this summer. Dolan wanted a splash at The Sphere. The Rangers will be the Cup champions and every team will congratulate them when they are making their picks or the Rangers make a big trade.

Kakko and the 1st round pick for Konecny. The Rangers will need come up with $8M for Konecny. The Flyers will probably pay Konecny.
I like where your head is at. The Rangers need to parlay some of their young wingers into other positions of need to balance the roster. Not all of Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Edstrom, Kakko, and Lafreniere are going to get significant minutes with the big club. Panarin, Kreider, and Cuylle are the top 3 line LW's for the next three years at least. Outside chance one of the vet wingers gets moved in 2025 or 2026. Lafreniere broke out and is showing why he was a 1st overall pick. It took 4 years.

Kakko is a 20 goal, 45-50 point player. Disappointing for a #2 overall pick but still a very useful player. I'd approach him with a 7 or 8 year deal worth $3 million per year. Give him the Calle Jarkrok deal. If he doesn't take it, you use his trade value to go after a LHD with team control. I find it hard to believe Montreal would trade Guhle but I'm all over that if he's available.

I'd operate under the assumption Chytil is never playing hockey again this summer if I'm Drury. Lots of options in UFA and via trade. Lundell will be in a good situation in Florida still. Reinhart will get paid in UFA. He and Bennett are the #2a/2b options and can be swapped interchangeably and get both PP and PK time, plus learning from the best 2 way center in the game of the same nationality.

Shane Pinto. Long Island kid. Suspended for sports betting. Ottawa is always in a state of disarray. He has Stutzle and Norris ahead of him on the depth chart. Time to rip off Ottawa again. Lindgren for Pinto and a 2024 2nd rounder.

The Rangers can deal their 2025 1st for a LHD. Options are scarce though. Will take some good scouting and a little bit of luck. The 2024 1st is going to be used unless the Rangers win the Cup.

Reactions: egelband

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Yea. I doubt we’ll see a gorton/Drury trade anytime soon tbh.
I like all the players you mentioned. I’m not sure what Kakko gets on a 1-2 year deal with us.
I don’t expect a huge jump, but he’ll get a modest raise if he’s not moved in offseason/at draft.
I think replacing him in the line up with Othmann/berard is far more likely then one of them playing with Kreider-zibby for an extended period of time.
Chytil going down blows. I know everyone wanted to see a Cuylle-chytil-Kakko line, but Kreider also played well with chytil in the past.
It just gives them more options if zibby needs a 2 winger shake up at least in the short term.
I still say Zetterlund would have been an A+ get at the deadline.
Only making 2.4 mill for the rest of this season and next….
With talented linemates and minutes he would give you 20-25 goals and 40-50pts with those 2 while doing everything else the right way. And he’s only 24.

easy to trade if he requires a huge raise down the line and young enough to fit with our core now and 2nd core coming up.

As for Lindgren, I doubt he’s going anywhere. Hes also in the right age bracket, and he’s a guy they can drop to 2nd/3rd pair of necessary should miller make the jump or they eventually trade for an outside D.
He won’t bet getting a giant raise.
He’ll also be easy to trade if need be on a 4-5 year deal.
I’d say the decision on Trouba is coming way sooner

Last edited:

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
If we sign Wennberg for that same cap hit as Chytil, we should all be smacked. From the organization employees to the fans. How many times can this player fool a team into giving him over 4 million. #endrant
I don't necessarily disagree, it was just a "for the sake of argument" thing. If Fil comes back, then we are pretty set. If doctors can tell us today that he has to unfortunately call it a career, then we can look at real options better than Wennberg for hopefully not much more than $4.5m.

It being up in the air is what sucks. We can't plan what to do next season "to the penny," if we're talking about 50/50 chance or even 80/20 in either direction. I was just saying what we can do on the wings, regardless.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I like where your head is at. The Rangers need to parlay some of their young wingers into other positions of need to balance the roster. Not all of Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Edstrom, Kakko, and Lafreniere are going to get significant minutes with the big club. Panarin, Kreider, and Cuylle are the top 3 line LW's for the next three years at least. Outside chance one of the vet wingers gets moved in 2025 or 2026. Lafreniere broke out and is showing why he was a 1st overall pick. It took 4 years.

Kakko is a 20 goal, 45-50 point player. Disappointing for a #2 overall pick but still a very useful player. I'd approach him with a 7 or 8 year deal worth $3 million per year. Give him the Calle Jarkrok deal. If he doesn't take it, you use his trade value to go after a LHD with team control. I find it hard to believe Montreal would trade Guhle but I'm all over that if he's available.

I'd operate under the assumption Chytil is never playing hockey again this summer if I'm Drury. Lots of options in UFA and via trade. Lundell will be in a good situation in Florida still. Reinhart will get paid in UFA. He and Bennett are the #2a/2b options and can be swapped interchangeably and get both PP and PK time, plus learning from the best 2 way center in the game of the same nationality.

Shane Pinto. Long Island kid. Suspended for sports betting. Ottawa is always in a state of disarray. He has Stutzle and Norris ahead of him on the depth chart. Time to rip off Ottawa again. Lindgren for Pinto and a 2024 2nd rounder.

The Rangers can deal their 2025 1st for a LHD. Options are scarce though. Will take some good scouting and a little bit of luck. The 2024 1st is going to be used unless the Rangers win the Cup.
I think the pinto ship has sailed.
He’s been a beast the last 20-30 games or so….
OTT is a team that has no trouble with cap room either…
Realistically they have absolutely no reason to part with him

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't necessarily disagree, it was just a "for the sake of argument" thing. If Fil comes back, then we are pretty set. If doctors can tell us today that he has to unfortunately call it a career, then we can look at real options better than Wennberg for hopefully not much more than $4.5m.

It being up in the air is what sucks. We can't plan what to do next season "to the penny," if we're talking about 50/50 chance or even 80/20 in either direction. I was just saying what we can do on the wings, regardless.
I def don’t expect Wennberg back.
Even if he loves NY, he’s making 4 4.5 per now.
The cap is going up. I doubt he’ll take much of a pay cut.
The only UFA center I like on the market is Stephenson.
He solves all issues with top 3 C. Any one of him Tro or zibby can get hot and center a #1 line. But he’s going to cost 5.5-6 mill per easy.

UFA or trade are the only viable options to fix 3C long term( 2-3 years +)

Banking on chytil even if he comes back is too risky. And even if they draft a stud C he’s likely 2 years away at a minimum….

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Should help them since Ersson is running on fumes but correct me if I'm wrong he's not eligible for the playoffs
I read he is eligible for the playoffs.

Wont be instant.
Even Igor needed about 1/2 a season in the ahl to adjust.
The angles are very different and you have a lot more bumping around the net to adjust to.

He is. Briere confirmed he was on the roster list.
The goalie mentioned it was a lot faster here but he said he likes it fast.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

no KK forguhle

Reactions: mas0764

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kakko will look for a decent raise on his next deal. The $5M cap hit is reasonable.
Not bashing KK. I really want him to become great but I would have a hard time holding my smile back if a forward with 5 assists on the season came in asking for a raise. $5mill? Thats $1 mill per assist. Makes Bread look like a huge steal! :D

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I think the pinto ship has sailed.
He’s been a beast the last 20-30 games or so….
OTT is a team that has no trouble with cap room either…
Realistically they have absolutely no reason to part with him
They don't, but they may be forced to look at options if his salary demands aren't reasonable for them or if he asks for a trade.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

i'm on board with almost 100% of this. i've been pounding the table for Konecny for years, but that's not happening. He's the flyers main offensive piece.

love the farabee idea, love the guhle idea. i'm not sold on othmann backfilling that role but one of the young guys - berard othmann sykora - will be a 3rd line piece in the next 3 years.

I love kakko and want to see him develop here. but if it's not in the cards, package him for an upgrade at 1RW, 3C, or LD. package him with lindgren. package him with jones. just do not trade him for bottom 6 nonsense like you did with Buchnevich.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Sorry to interject, but I didn't want to to start a new thread for this, yet I didn't see a reasonable existing thread to bring this up.

Maybe I missed it, maybe someone can fill us in.

Did we burn a bridge Barb Underhill?

We have a few kids that could benefit from her services. I'm leaning hard at Kappo who has great edges but average n/s skating.

I read Kings fans are elated that she has turned Byfield into a legit threat. Although one could correlate his growth to fellow draft alumni Laffy growth/age/experience wise.

Just curious why we haven't invested in Her as an asset to invest in our top prospects that could definitely lead us as vets in the post Zib/Pan/Kreids/Troobs era which is in the horizon.

She did wonders for Boyle. We had a professional retalionship at one point. But that was some years ago now.

Seems prudent and a wise investment IMO.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I’d absolutely love Farabee

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Talking Farabee and Lundell is speaking my language, just substitute tacos and pizza.

The thing is, I'm not keen on giving up on Kakko. There is a part of me who sees a kid that just doesn't have "It". Then there is the part of me that isn't ready to give up on him. He's a likeable kid, works hard, and plays an honest 3 zone game. It's just unfortunate that he's too old, embedded, and it doesn't look good to send him to "The A" to be selfish on the top line and learn to be an Alpha scorer. Which I honestly think he NEEDS. Or, needed, but two years ago.

I ask myself, is the Fin system inadequate at producing Elite talent outside Rantenen amd Barkov so many years ago? That's not a facetious question. Their lack of success at all levels international is a hot button discussion.

So...

Farabee has been a favorite of mine since his WJC days. Although I'm not sure I see the same player as I did in those tournaments. And frankly, I'm a Torts guy. His game that made him desirable pre-draft seemed taylor made for a coach like Tortarella. Its a red flag that they don't see eye to eye. And if it's not his game then it's his attitude, which I find this generation to be lacking in intestinal fortitude.

Anton Lundell: Again, a very interesting kid. Fills a need and seems to be progressing into the expectations scouts were projecting going into his draft. He's got Barky and Bennett ahead of him. I'm not certain FLA is eager to move him with Bennett only one year before UFA.

I think alot of players futures on Broadway are riding on this specific playoff run. Pragmatically, The Core and The Kids, and even Drury, are all on the hot seat depending on how the next few month(s) play out.

Movement clauses are weakening, kids are nearing do, don't, or promote decisions. I don't think it benefits this team to be wishy-washy when it comes to direction. Unless we win the cup this season, someone at the top (not Dolan) needs to.make tough choices and chose a path. Kids or Vets. Develop the next Core, or year after year supplement this Core, extend them, and juggle the cap going forward by trading away draftees like Chicago did with Shaw, Panarin, etc...

Reactions: mas0764

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I def don’t expect Wennberg bag.
Even if he loves NY, he’s making 4 4.5 per now.
The cap is going up. I doubt he’ll take much of a pay cut.
The only UFA center I like on the market is Stephenson.
He solves all issues with top 3 C. Any one of him Tro or zibby can get hot and center a #1 line. But he’s going to cost 5.5-6 mill per easy.

UFA or trade are the only viable options to fix 3C long term( 2-3 years +)

Banking on chytil even if he comes back is too risky. And even if they draft a stud C he’s likely 2 years away at a minimum….
Wennberg peaked early, so he made an early bag and Seattle paid him hoping he'd get back to that. He hasn't, so he might sign for less than his current salary. Maybe.

Stephenson busted out after he signed a "3rd liner deal," so he's going to be looking for much more. He'll say he's in the Trocheck range, and he's not necessarily wrong.

I think there's a chance to get Wennberg for cheaper than Chytil while Chandler would likely be both for more and for longer.

I would say that if Chytil is 50/50 (meaning we can't just spend the money and we just don't know), then we should pencil him in as a wing (leaving one less spot for a rookie wing) and see how much room we can make to spend on a 3C. We just don't have one in-house.

If we buy out Goodrow, then we can spend more than his hit since it'll be a cap savings for one season, but a hard hit two seasons later. Status quo everywhere else, and we have $4m for a 3C. I'm not looking at the $5m+ guys unless we do something more aggressive than just buying out Goodrow. (Goodrow scores while I'm typing. Common Kendo L.)

We spent a large chunk of the season around the top of the league with Nick Bonino as our 3C, and I'm sure Brodz can provide what Bones brought, at least. So maybe next TDL is when we figure it all out, bank some space, and know what Fil's status is.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Wennberg peaked early, so he made an early bag and Seattle paid him hoping he'd get back to that. He hasn't, so he might sign for less than his current salary. Maybe.

Stephenson busted out after he signed a "3rd liner deal," so he's going to be looking for much more. He'll say he's in the Trocheck range, and he's not necessarily wrong.

I think there's a chance to get Wennberg for cheaper than Chytil while Chandler would likely be both for more and for longer.

I would say that if Chytil is 50/50 (meaning we can't just spend the money and we just don't know), then we should pencil him in as a wing (leaving one less spot for a rookie wing) and see how much room we can make to spend on a 3C. We just don't have one in-house.

If we buy out Goodrow, then we can spend more than his hit since it'll be a cap savings for one season, but a hard hit two seasons later. Status quo everywhere else, and we have $4m for a 3C. I'm not looking at the $5m+ guys unless we do something more aggressive than just buying out Goodrow. (Goodrow scores while I'm typing. Common Kendo L.)

We spent a large chunk of the season around the top of the league with Nick Bonino as our 3C, and I'm sure Brodz can provide what Bones brought, at least. So maybe next TDL is when we figure it all out, bank some space, and know what Fil's status is.
the problem with "brodz can provide what Bones brought" is that we continue the cycle of bleeding assets at TDL to patch significant holes.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Sorry to interject, but I didn't want to to start a new thread for this, yet I didn't see a reasonable existing thread to bring this up.

Maybe I missed it, maybe someone can fill us in.

Did we burn a bridge Barb Underhill?

We have a few kids that could benefit from her services. I'm leaning hard at Kappo who has great edges but average n/s skating.

I read Kings fans are elated that she has turned Byfield into a legit threat. Although one could correlate his growth to fellow draft alumni Laffy growth/age/experience wise.

Just curious why we haven't invested in Her as an asset to invest in our top prospects that could definitely lead us as vets in the post Zib/Pan/Kreids/Troobs era which is in the horizon.

She did wonders for Boyle. We had a professional retalionship at one point. But that was some years ago now.

Seems prudent and a wise investment IMO.
I love that you brought her up because everyone once in a while I think about how this board used to propose sending every single Ranger to train with her and how it's been forever since anyone talked about that.

• Haha
Reactions: Kendo

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
the problem with "brodz can provide what Bones brought" is that we continue the cycle of bleeding assets at TDL to patch significant holes.
Yea. I’m not counting on this team performing the same way next season. We’ll be good, but 50 plus wins is a tall order.
Sticking brods or a stop gap Bonino type signing at 3C is just a band aid on a gun shot wound.
I’m leaning more to the side of thinking team must count on being without chytil really long term…..
I’d rather 3C be addressed in the offseason rather than the TDL. The costs are higher and the choices are far more limited
If chytil is cleared by mid-season or so next year, great. That’s 1 of them good problems.
If not, barring any unforeseen injuries, top 3 Cs should be set all next season

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yea. I doubt we’ll see a gorton/Drury trade anytime soon tbh.
I like all the players you mentioned. I’m not sure what Kakko gets on a 1-2 year deal with us.
I don’t expect a huge jump, but he’ll get a modest raise if he’s not moved in offseason/at draft.
I think replacing him in the line up with Othmann/berard is far more likely then one of them playing with Kreider-zibby for an extended period of time.
Chytil going down blows. I know everyone wanted to see a Cuylle-chytil-Kakko line, but Kreider also played well with chytil in the past.
It just gives them more options if zibby needs a 2 winger shake up at least in the short term.
I still say Zetterlund would have been an A+ get at the deadline.
Only making 2.4 mill for the rest of this season and next….
With talented linemates and minutes he would give you 20-25 goals and 40-50pts with those 2 while doing everything else the right way. And he’s only 24.

easy to trade if he requires a huge raise down the line and young enough to fit with our core now and 2nd core coming up.

As for Lindgren, I doubt he’s going anywhere. Hes also in the right age bracket, and he’s a guy they can drop to 2nd/3rd pair of necessary should miller make the jump or they eventually trade for an outside D.
He won’t bet getting a giant raise.
He’ll also be easy to trade if need be on a 4-5 year deal.
I’d say the decision on Trouba is coming way sooner
I like Jake Evans. $1.7M cap hit. He would be a good player for the Rangers. These two teams aren’t making a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad