Roster Building Thread - Part VIII (2023-24 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think MH was specifically saying "the Rangers goaltending has been bad" he was mostly getting at "The Rangers haven't been relying on their goaltending to the extent they have in other seasons and that's a GOOD thing"
Reading between the lines because context is hard etc etc I get "the Rangers goaltending hasn't been noteworthy this year but it has been good enough for what the Rangers need and that is a good thing in itself" and also "don't pay Shesterkin $8 mill/year + because a goalie isn't worth that in this cap league"
Sort of like that, yes, but I made it sound worse than it was.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wasn’t your argument that Quick and Igor are somehow equally responsible for our “ok” goaltending, and therefore Igor shouldn’t be entitled to a payday?
This year, yes, and I have apprehensions about giving a Igor a huge payday.

Quick, who is 90 years old, has nothing to do with those apprehensions.

Reactions: mas0764

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Devils are weird. I'm kind of just waiting to see how that shakes out.

The analytics say they should be one of the best teams in the league, but they just can't stop giving up goals.

Maybe it's a blip and they self-correct. Maybe there's a glitch in the way they play that's conducive to getting scored on beyond what we can measure.

I don't buy that the goaltending is just that bad. NHL goaltenders aren't that bad for this long.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
From the posters with personality disorders, yeah.

I stick by my statement that Igor is a well above average goaltender, but that hes prone to slumps due to mental issues (Which is 99% of goalies not names Lundqvist or Brodeur, to be fair)
Yes but those people are encouraged to spout their nonsense and were told to accept it. So…..

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Moneypuck is really low on the NYR ability to suppress offense on the penalty kill which is why it’s so high on Igor/Quick. It thinks they have a bottom ~5 PK and is crediting our goalies for the kill success rate. Stat trick has NYR penalty kill as slightly above average. Special teams stats on the public sites are often unreliable. Last year MP and stat trick disagreed heavily on our power play generation. Hard to say what’s right, NYR pk strategy is basically have Zibanejad coasting around doing nothing or Bonino/Goodrow playing twister in shooting lanes (the one thing they’re very good at)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Moneypuck is really low on the NYR ability to suppress offense on the penalty kill which is why it’s so high on Igor/Quick. It thinks they have a bottom ~5 PK and is crediting our goalies for the kill success rate. Stat trick has NYR penalty kill as slightly above average. Special teams stats on the public sites are often unreliable. Last year MP and stat trick disagreed heavily on our power play generation. Hard to say what’s right, NYR pk strategy is basically have Zibanejad coasting around doing nothing or Bonino/Goodrow playing twister in shooting lanes (the one thing they’re very good at)
EvolvingHockey really likes our penalty kill. They rate Goodrow and Bonino as excellent penalty killers.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
EvolvingHockey really likes our penalty kill. They rate Goodrow and Bonino as excellent penalty killers.
Interesting. I think I’ve seen both of them above average in xGA on stat trick as well in addition to Trocheck. Why is it that there’s so much more variability in xG models for 5v4? Is it pre shot passing playing more of role? Players just getting the looks they like more often?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Devils are weird. I'm kind of just waiting to see how that shakes out.

The analytics say they should be one of the best teams in the league, but they just can't stop giving up goals.

Maybe it's a blip and they self-correct. Maybe there's a glitch in the way they play that's conducive to getting scored on beyond what we can measure.

I don't buy that the goaltending is just that bad. NHL goaltenders aren't that bad for this long.

The chances they give up are… really high quality chances. Just peep the goals against from the game last night, that’s pretty much been their season in a nutshell. Those are plays where I’d be pissed if my team gave them up and even more pissed if they didn’t convert on them.

I don’t think that there is a way to accurately quantify them either. Their goalies don’t stop those.

They also give up ones that they shouldn’t give up. If you don’t stop the ones you can’t stop and enough of the ones that you should then you have a serious problem.

I’m also of the opinion that the analytics overrate their performance this year. They can score but honestly it’s looked way more janky than it did a year ago and they are not good defensively.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The chances they give up are… really high quality chances. Just peep the goals against from the game last night, that’s pretty much been their season in a nutshell. Those are plays where I’d be pissed if my team gave them up and even more pissed if they didn’t convert on them.

I don’t think that there is a way to accurately quantify them either. Their goalies don’t stop those.

They also give up ones that they shouldn’t give up. If you don’t stop the ones you can’t stop and enough of the ones that you should then you have a serious problem.

I’m also of the opinion that the analytics overrate their performance this year. They can score but honestly it’s looked way more janky than it did a year ago and they are not good defensively.
They're also always losing. I always felt that score adjustments don't always capture the full magnitude. They're playing a lot of minutes against teams that are sleepwalking like we were last night after the Kreider goal.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Replacing Chytil becomes easier through FA in offseason. I am starting to wonder if, rather than tying themselves to say a Gourde who has multiple years left and $$$ (no doubt SEA would eat some), the Rangers go rental here and just add an affordable 3C (Henrique, Domi, etc) in offseason.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Replacing Chytil becomes easier through FA in offseason. I am starting to wonder if, rather than tying themselves to say a Gourde who has multiple years left and $$$ (no doubt SEA would eat some), the Rangers go rental here and just add an affordable 3C (Henrique, Domi, etc) in offseason.

I don't think there is much of a question. They will almost surely go the rental route.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Who even brought up "fancy charts?"
That has nothing to do with the point that everybody sucks yet the team somehow has the most points in the league. Maybe Biz is right and they’re fugazis. Or maybe once I’m done cooling myself down with that graph I’ll wipe my ass with it since tp is so expensive these days

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We need to get a center capable of getting points in Chytil's absence. Id love to get a guy like Hayton but in reality its probably a guy like Monohan.

That has nothing to do with the point that everybody sucks yet the team somehow has the most points in the league. Maybe Biz is right and they’re fugazis. Or maybe once I’m done cooling myself down with that graph I’ll wipe my ass with it since tp is so expensive these days
Biz predicts hockey like he played hockey only he can't fight his way to a right prediction

• Haha
Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
We need to get a center capable of getting points in Chytil's absence. Id love to get a guy like Hayton but in reality its probably a guy like Monohan.

Biz predicts hockey like he played hockey only he can't fight his way to a right prediction
Oh believe me the Biz part was me making a joke. My point is everybody sucks but the team is somehow first going into the new year. It’s a late Christmas miracle! Every team has weaknesses and flaws, no team is perfect. This isn’t a video game or some computer model, it’s real life. Christ, enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lindholm will cost a ton. Stamkos will go nowhere unless TB flatlines. Henrique, Granlund, Roslovic, these are the types we are looking at.
I've always been intrigued by Roslovic, Imo he has more to give, get him in the right situation and it could be money.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I feel like Drury is gonna extend Gus in the near future but I also have never spoken to Dru or heard this information from any source.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think of all the UFA F and Gs they got this summer, only Bonino and Quick have the potential to stay. Edstrom and Othmann should have roster spots next fall. Berard or Sykora get cups of coffee.

Chytil should be around. A hybrid for depth is fine like a Henrique.

I think Gus has priced himself out of here
Not necessarily. He might value term and comfort playing for Laviolette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad