Roster Building Thread - Part VIII (2023-24 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_4542.jpeg

Roster Building Thread - Part VIII (2023-24 season)
**First regular season game is Thursday 10/12**

Previous discussion thread…
Training Camp and Preseason thread 2023

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I thought we looked solid last game.

Had some hiccups but hopefully those get ironed out with experience.

Zibs is my issue. I hate to use the word from Byz but he’s the leader of the fugazi crew. Get back to skating, forechecking and attacking. Your one timer is mid. Stop. Use your wrist shot and learn to play in the bumper.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think it may be a mistake to go forward another season with the same nucleus at forwards. We have some good forwards but as a group they are not going to reach where we want to be. I would look to make some significant changes if possible via trade. Hindsight being 20-20 we probably got rid of the wrong guy (Buch). Making trades to improve a team under the cap is not easy but this forward group may have hit their ceiling as a group. Some individuals may improve but others will decline.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Like I sad in the GDT yesterday, it’s really maddening that we have a complete new coaching staff but our PP is literally the EXACT SAME as the last couple years. Literally everything from the same exact players and positions, to overpassing, to strictly looking for Mika’s one timer, and to the first unit not getting off the ice.

Give me a break.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Like I sad in the GDT yesterday, it’s really maddening that we have a complete new coaching staff but our PP is literally the EXACT SAME as the last couple years. Literally everything from the same exact players and positions, to overpassing, to strictly looking for Mika’s one timer, and to the first unit not getting off the ice.

Give me a break.
The PP has been good the last few years. While I do not like some things with it, the PP is not the problem on this team. In fact the PP and Shesty are probably the reasons we have made the playoffs.

Reactions: Slaydagnar and RGY

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We'll make playoffs, but only if Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil and Trochek are big players will we do anything in playoffs. Mika and Panarin are soft players at this point, only thing is they'll get us to the playoffs, it will be up to the rest of the team to do something when we get there. Much like the stars in Toronto. So with that said, its imperative that the coaching staff do everything in their power to get the kids going and to put Trochek on a good line. I feel there's some tough love and maybe a dose of reality being dealt to Lafreniere this preseason, but i hope they sit him down and present an opportunity to him to start the season, give him a clean slate and some confidence because as ive said many times before this team isnt going anywhere without the kids

The PP has been good the last few years. While I do not like some things with it, the PP is not the problem on this team. In fact the PP and Shesty are probably the reasons we have made the playoffs.

The pp is way too predictable is the issue. They need to shoot from the point from time to time, maybe have a left handed shooter on the right wall and shoot from there from time to time, comstantly forcing the pass to Zib has teams collapsing and taking that lane away as there is no threat from anywhere else. The pp is fine if they throw another couple options there so that teams can't just collapse and take away that lane, force the forwards to have to come out to the dmen.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
A good preseason does not necessarily mean a good season and vice versa. It's been frustrating and not much fun to watch. What I'm going to take away from the preseason is that there is still a lot of work to be done and the team is likely in for a rocky start. Hopefully they will be able to pull it together as the season wears on and they get more time with the new coaching staff.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Then it stunk in the playoffs and is probably the reason why we didn’t advance. It’s only good if Mika is in one of his hot streaks and can pick the corners. There is no variety in it at all.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and CLW

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The pp is way too predictable is the issue. They need to shoot from the point from time to time, maybe have a left handed shooter on the right wall and shoot from there from time to time, comstantly forcing the pass to Zib has teams collapsing and taking that lane away as there is no threat from anywhere else. The pp is fine if they throw another couple options there so that teams can't just collapse and take away that lane, force the forwards to have to come out to the dmen.
I'd like to see some different things on the PP but the Rangers have had 1 of the best PP the last 2 seasons. It is far from the biggest problem with this team imo.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Every time the puck is on Lafs or Kakkos stick i wonder how good this team would be if they were true gamebreakers ala Bedard/Hughes. Or even if it was just one of them. Such a different complexion to the team then. Something to build off of and get excited about. A player or two who could make an impression on any given shift.

Theres still hope for both, specifically Kakko but things are fading fast in expectations for Laf. But it wont be at that elite level.

Even Kakko, the puck just slides off his stick at the wrong moments and/or he doesnt just shoot the damn thing when he gets inside. He needs to get selfish. Dont be afraid to take things into your own hands. He had a great shot in the first and it went in. Do that more often.

Problem is it was the only option, so its why he took it. Stop all the deferring. Make this your team. The rest of the vets are nothing special and arent willing to sacrifice for anyone else in that way or for the system, so why should you?

Expecting good seasons from Kakko and Chytil. Laf, its been beaten to death and becoming a depressing topic.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We absolutely need to end the circular firing squad PP. Its too easy to defend against. We need to generate high-quality scoring chances with zone entry. Practice 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 breakaways.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Then it stunk in the playoffs and is probably the reason why we didn’t advance. It’s only good if Mika is in one of his hot streaks and can pick the corners. There is no variety in it at all.
NJ had a worse PP in the playoffs and did advance. Our team stunk in the playoffs. If anything the PP via Chris Kreider was responsible for us winning the first 2 games. Let me put it to you this way. If your engine has a blown head gasket you don't worry about a smudge on your side view mirror.

Every time the puck is on Lafs or Kakkos stick i wonder how good this team would be if they were true gamebreakers ala Bedard/Hughes. Or even if it was just one of them. Such a different complexion to the team then. Something to build off of and get excited about. A player or two who could make an impression on any given shift.

Theres still hope for both, specifically Kakko but things are fading fast in expectations for Laf
We never had a chance at Hughes so I dont dwell on that but missing out on Tim (Laf draft) is frustrating.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Pan/Chy/Kak
Laf/Zib/Whe
Kre/Tro/Ves
Cuy/Bon/Pit/Bro
Goodrow will be in the lineup. Its fact

Dont dislike the top 9 though, although Panarin is beginning to stick out like a sore thumb.

He just doesnt fit anywhere comfortably, except on PP1. His game is becoming increasingly frustrating to watch.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Goodrow will be in the lineup. Its fact

Dont dislike the top 9 though, although Panarin is beginning to stick out like a sore thumb.

He just doesnt fit anywhere comfortably, except on PP1. His game is becoming increasingly frustrating to watch.

I'm not sure how the player who had 25% more 5v5 pts than any other player on the team last year doesn't fit at 5v5.

From Gaborik, to Nash, to Panarin this board always has a thing about hating the teams best forward.

Reactions: Smash

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
We never had a chance at Hughes so I dont dwell on that but missing out on Tim (Laf draft) is frustrating.
Its less of an omg i wish the Devils picked Kakko thing. And honestly as much id id love Stutzle, I just really wish Laf just played like and other ordinary 1OA. Which is a gamebreaker, even if it was a little step down from those other guys.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pan/Chy/Kak
Laf/Zib/Whe
Kre/Tro/Ves
Cuy/Bon/Pit/Bro

Kind of close to where I'm at but you did forget Goodrow. I could see your first two lines. I'd move Cuylle onto the 3rd where Vesey is. Cuylle's shown a really good offensive touch and he's bigger and stronger and tougher and younger and Vesey is really a 4th liner.

I haven't decided whether I like Bonino. Goodrow, Vesey, Pitlick should be candidates for the 4th line and right now I might take Brodzinski over Bonino for 13th forward but that's more a whatever.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Its less of an omg i wish the Devils picked Kakko thing. And honestly as much id id love Stutzle, I just really wish Laf just played like and other ordinary 1OA. Which is a gamebreaker, even if it was a little step down from those other guys.
There were some rumors that NJ might do that back then.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If we play mediocre 5 on 5 our pp is gonna have to look much much better. It's be a good stretch now it's looked pretty pedestrian. I know it's preseason but what did the pp go 1 for 20? And it was a cheap 5 on 3 goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad