Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The Rangers would match anything at or below the 1st round pick threshold, and SJ is not giving up an unprotected 1st when they're likely to be a bottom 5 team in the league again this year
We say this all the time, but why not? I don’t think an unprotected first in 2023 was ever going to happen, but next year’s draft isn’t as good at the top.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
We say this all the time, but why not? I don’t think an unprotected first in 2023 was ever going to happen, but next year’s draft isn’t as good at the top.
The Rangers seem to draft the same players or better with picks in the 20s as they do with picks in the top 10, but for most of the league there's a huge gap in value there. Everyone tried to make it a big scandal when Carolina did one of these things and that team obviously wasn't going to bottom out.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
IMG-5109.jpg

Laf just made a rare appearance from offseason workouts, looks like it’s going well.
Need to bump this. And keep it going.

If Laf showed up like this, he'd redefine net front presence on the power play. No one would be able to move him...

... @mas0764: "I still think he's going to be more effective on the right wall."

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Cost control, and they're not close to competing so they can afford to keep whoever it is away from the league and ensure they're properly developed way tf away from David Quinn

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Need to bump this. And keep it going.

If Laf showed up like this, he'd redefine net front presence on the power play. No one would be able to move him...

... @mas0764: "I still think he's going to be more effective on the right wall."

Not sure why I’m getting @‘d here

• Haha
Reactions: duhmetreE

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
How about 24 year old Mason Shaw for center depth on tryout or league minimum .

He adds grit, PK, speed and some center depth. 17 points 7 goals 10 assist 79 PIM in 59 games

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How about 24 year old Mason Shaw for center depth on tryout or league minimum .

He adds grit, PK, speed and some center depth. 17 points 7 goals 10 assist 79 PIM in 59 games

He also has a torn acl

• Wow
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Just a reminder that we're the most valuable franchise in the NHL with the largest hockey fanbase in the United States and yet we have an owner who couldn't give two shits about the fans.

Black Wheeler...FFS.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Just a reminder that we're the most valuable franchise in the NHL with the largest hockey fanbase in the United States and yet we have an owner who couldn't give two shits about the fans.

Black Wheeler...FFS.

I just saw this. The guy has the personality of a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a slice of toast.

Let's roll Blake! Hope them legs are ready for April!

Last edited:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Maybe Laf becomes our version of Phil Kessel ? I'd accept that especially with a Cup or two ! The stats for near the same amount of games is not all that far apart looking at Phil's development . Hopefully this is the season Laf takes flight.....I'm not ready to give up just yet . Maybe Lavi will be the magic pill....I sure hope so.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One thing that separates high-end top draft picks (arbitrarily meaning 1-3) from the other top prospects ithat follow after is how quickly they develop. We see time and time again that picks selected later are fully able to get to the similar if not better performance levels but often it takes them a few years longer. So maybe even acknowledging that Kakko and Lafreniere are not that high-end top draft picks (even if they were largely consensus for where they were selected) from what I've seen they still able to reach pretty high performance ceilings - it just should take them longer rather than saying that they will never reach those levels altogether. Both of them are still very young.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
One thing that separates high-end top draft picks (arbitrarily meaning 1-3) from the other top prospects ithat follow after is how quickly they develop. We see time and time again that picks selected later are fully able to get to the similar if not better performance levels but often it takes them a few years longer. So maybe even acknowledging that Kakko and Lafreniere are not that high-end top draft picks (even if they were largely consensus for where they were selected) from what I've seen they still able to reach pretty high performance ceilings - it just should take them longer rather than saying that they will never reach those levels altogether. Both of them are still very young.

The dumbest thing the Rangers could do is giving up on either of them even after this upcoming season.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Maybe Laf becomes our version of Phil Kessel ? I'd accept that especially with a Cup or two ! The stats for near the same amount of games is not all that far apart looking at Phil's development . Hopefully this is the season Laf takes flight.....I'm not ready to give up just yet . Maybe Lavi will be the magic pill....I sure hope so.

When Lafy leads the league in consecutive games played has a bunch of cups on his resume, wake me up. I dont see that at all. Different type of players.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We've gone round and round on this conversation.
High end picks usually start with a high amount of ice time.
Show me 1 season where kakko and laf have even come close to the amount of ice time hughes or stutzle have, and I'll absolutely call them a bust.
Players drafted that high get fed ice time, and thats what allows them to produce very quickly, although it may also expose other flaws in their game (typically defensive responsibilities).

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
We've gone round and round on this conversation.
High end picks usually start with a high amount of ice time.
Show me 1 season where kakko and laf have even come close to the amount of ice time hughes or stutzle have, and I'll absolutely call them a bust.
Players drafted that high get fed ice time, and thats what allows them to produce very quickly, although it may also expose other flaws in their game (typically defensive responsibilities).

Please call out those Anaheim boys names as well. Terry and Zegras playing on the deserted island of dog shit in Anaheim with unlimited minutes and no hardcore benchings.

I'm bummed that our two boys didn't get fed minutes and we signed bread & went for it these past few years.. However, I am still holding onto the fact that allll the PO games they've played so far at a young age will pay massive dividends down the road. We need to keep investing in these two, they are still SO young. That fact really cannot keep going understated.

Reactions: FUZfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2