Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VI: Gorton's Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
would you trade Chytil for AA.

If not..then you shouldnt trade a first rounder next year for him either.

Alternatively, you could argue that because you already have Chytil (who we can assume the club is a fan of seeing as they just drafted him), next years 1st is less important so you could move it for a player like AA (I would not do this, for the record)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Agree, conversely if you would trade Gropp for AA then you would give up a 2nd which I would do.

Ironically enough that you bring up gropp, from a contract standpoint that's a good move for Detroit... On the first year of his elc, 7 years of cost controlled contract time left, only downside is no NHL experience, which is why I'd be ok with sending a pick along with him

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Would anyone do Miller and Skjei for Larkin and AA?

Not a chance.

Larkin is very intriguing because of his wheels but Miller and Skjei are both really improving as advertised.

If you're including both of them in any trade then I go for Laine.

Nothing less.

#Fantasy

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
AA makes so much sense for the Rangers. Fits team identity. Rangers are also probably losing both Nash and Grabner next off-season and have no one to replace them in the system. Getting AA would help to keep good W depth and having that super fast player a la Hagelin or Michael.

I thought AA was Anisimov all week lol

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Man..I'd love to get Hagelin back and I agree with signing Grabs before his contracts up^^^

Can you imagine them two on the same line with that speed?

Why doe's JG always have to wait until a contract is up in order to resign a player??

Another thing that makes no sense to me..

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, from my POV, I like Larkin much more than AA and I think Larkin has potential to become a very stronger leader. He has the talent and character to become a difference maker, kind of like Bergeron in his own way.

I think Skjei's potential is sick. OTOH, hard to replace? Just resign McD. Smith and Holden. Bereglazov. Graves. And so forth. There are sooo many good LDs out there. It's the deepest skating position for sure.

I like Miller, to me he just lack a bit of "it" factor. He could be more talented, he could be smarter, he could be more of a winner. In the right deal I would deal him.

For me it's kind of like, I would be intrigued of getting Larkin, OTOH the price of Skjei and Miller is incredibly steep.

The challenge with Skjei isn't so much getting by over the short term, it's the fact that you're potentially losing out on 7-10 years of a guy who is tailor-made for the direction the NHL continues to go.

In terms of long-term value to the team, I don't know if I could rank him behind anyone on our defense that isn't McD. Four years from now, when McD, Shattenkirk, and Smith are all 32, Skjei will still be only 27. And that's saying nothing about what he brings today.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
You have to factor in age when you're mentioning McDonagh, Holden, Smith, etc replacing Skjei. Kid is an absolute horse and only 23 years old.

I like Larkin a lot, but like you said, the price is very steep. I think we lose that trade in the long run.

I've been thinking about this the last few days. If Skjei progresses, how much better that alone is going to make this team, on top of SK replacing Girardi.

Skjei is the best Dman McD has ever shared the roster with.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I've been thinking about this the last few days. If Skjei progresses, how much better that alone is going to make this team, on top of SK replacing Girardi.

Skjei is the best Dman McD has ever shared the roster with.

Yandle and Shattenkirk (and even pre concussion/eye injury Staal) may have something to say about this...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Marc Staal was a shutdown warrior. However his time has come and gone.

No one here will argue that point. Staal's been cooked for two seasons now. Back to Skjei, he definitely has the potential to be the 2nd best defender on this team, but I think people will quickly realize how good Shattenkirk is once they're watching him every game.

Edit: it's also ****ing bonkers that our top-4 going into last season was McD-G and Staal-Klein and now it's potentially McD-Shattenkirk and Skjei-Smith

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No one here will argue that point. Staal's been cooked for two seasons now. Back to Skjei, he definitely has the potential to be the 2nd best defender on this team, but I think people will quickly realize how good Shattenkirk is once they're watching him every game.

Edit: it's also ****ing bonkers that our top-4 going into last season was McD-G and Staal-Klein and now it's potentially McD-Shattenkirk and Skjei-Smith

Staal's been cooked since that eye injury or possibly earlier with that concussion. If you look at his HERO charts (admittedly not the best evaluation of a player overall, but still) his numbers took a dive after that concussion issue.

And yeah the defense turnaround is remarkable...a lot is going to depend on how the coaches utilize the talent they have back there

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Staal wasn't terrible before his injuries but Rangers fans overrate how good he was.

He was basically Erik Johnson. 2nd pair D, solid, but as run-of-the-mill as it gets.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't touch Chytil regardless unless the offer blew me away.

I don't wanna say he's boom or bust, because if there was a bust, he doesn't go in the first round, but he's definitely boom.

He's a potential 1C if the chips fall for us.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Why are we inviting nobody to camp?

This is getting to almost be Sandy Alderson esque.. no need for anyone, we're fine!

Come on guys, this has potential to be a good club, but the bottom 6 forward depth needs to be improved.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Why are we inviting nobody to camp?

This is getting to almost be Sandy Alderson esque.. no need for anyone, we're fine!

Come on guys, this has potential to be a good club, but the bottom 6 forward depth needs to be improved.

Farnham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia