Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part V: Strangers in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pld- Ok I understand what you mean. I have never really watched DeAngelo closely, but I am counting on him to be ready based on what I've heard -- right or wrong. And from my POV, even if we didn't have Smith, that wouldn't be a 22 minute role from the get go.

But if DeAngelo isn't ready -- it's another story.

Further on this topic, read the quote from Pionk in his thread posted by RB. He left school and signed here because we expected to have an opening. Gorton wasn't planning on signing Shatty when we signed Smith. The RE depth chart has Shatty, Smith, Holden and DeAngelo on it as it is.

If we don't think we are getting Shatty, you sign Smith. Like no doubt. Imagine that blueline without both. And Gorton didn't expect to sign Shatty -- I didn't either think we would -- so I can't fault Gorts for signing Smith. Just saying that -- in hindsight -- I would not have done it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
So the same deal is defensible to you as insurance on whether Shattenkirk signed? That's an expensive policy.

When did I say insurance policy? I asked you who'd be playing RD if Shattenkirk didn't sign. There is a need for three RD, no?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Pld- Ok I understand what you mean. I have never really watched DeAngelo closely, but I am counting on him to be ready based on what I've heard -- right or wrong. And from my POV, even if we didn't have Smith, that wouldn't be a 22 minute role from the get go.

But if DeAngelo isn't ready -- it's another story.

Further on this topic, read the quote from Pionk in his thread posted by RB. He left school and signed here because we expected to have an opening. Gorton wasn't planning on signing Shatty when we signed Smith. The RE depth chart has Shatty, Smith, Holden and DeAngelo on it as it is.

If we don't think we are getting Shatty, you sign Smith. Like no doubt. Imagine that blueline without both. And Gorton didn't expect to sign Shatty -- I didn't either think we would -- so I can't fault Gorts for signing Smith. Just saying that -- in hindsight -- I would not have done it.

Can't count on unproven rookies and just hand them spots. Having depth is always better than being short.

We're not the Winnipeg Jets, we don't just assume every young asset in the organization will pan out and then struggle to finish better than 10th every year

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I agree with that last post but Pionk still can't be happy. He prob is nhl ready and I don't see a spot for him for a while.

I expect DeAngelo to make this team.

But Pionk is right there.

Holden can't be here come opening night

Staal will be gone next summer so maybe smith moves back over to the left side and Pionk gets to play next to him but that's next year.

We stole Pionk we did and we did it at a time that looked like we had a lot more opportunity for him. Wondering how happy that kid is right about now. Probably not thrilled.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The New York Rangers will eventually be only made up of college FAs, Boston-area guys, and players who grew up as NYR fans.

And some Swedes.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does anything think JVR, Ranger fan growing up, will want to sign with us next summer at a hometown discount a la Shatty?

Maybe, but I doubt we'll have the cap space to sign him, regardless of the discount (which would more likely be in terms of years than AAV, a la Shattenkirk). Nash will be gone, but all of Hayes, Miller, Skjei and Vesey will be getting raises, assuming they are still on the team. There are moves that could be made to clear cap space, but I'm not sure we'd turn around and use that money on JVR.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I agree with that last post but Pionk still can't be happy. He prob is nhl ready and I don't see a spot for him for a while.

Staal will be gone next summer so maybe smith moves back over to the left side and Pionk gets to play next to him but that's next year.

We stole Pionk we did and we did it at a time that looked like we had a lot more opportunity for him. Wondering how happy that kid is right about now. Probably not thrilled.

That's pro sports for you. Team doesn't revolve around you and when the team sees a chance to improve itself, they're not going to be wringing their hands over whether it affects a kid who's never played in the NHL before.

Pretty sure he'll get a chance at some point. He'll have his opportunity to win a spot over guys like DeAngelo and if he can't, then he needs to be ready for the next opportunity to come along like injuries or someone not performing or a trade.

Smith is a better NHLer than Pionk. The Rangers are a better team with Smith and Shattenkirk in the lineup. Hopefully moves can be made going forward to open up some roster spots for someone like Pionk in terms of Staal being moved, etc.

If Pionk, Bereglazov, and DeAngelo all pan out we should probably all be jumping for joy because it's unlikely to happen

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
That's pro sports for you. Team doesn't revolve around you and when the team sees a chance to improve itself, they're not going to be wringing their hands over whether it affects a kid who's never played in the NHL before.

Pretty sure he'll get a chance at some point. He'll have his opportunity to win a spot over guys like DeAngelo and if he can't, then he needs to be ready for the next opportunity to come along like injuries or someone not performing or a trade.

Smith is a better NHLer than Pionk. The Rangers are a better team with Smith and Shattenkirk in the lineup. Hopefully moves can be made going forward to open up some roster spots for someone like Pionk in terms of Staal being moved, etc.

If Pionk, Bereglazov, and DeAngelo all pan out we should probably all be jumping for joy because it's unlikely to happen

I hope Pionk and Beargloves can play on the left side so we can ideally upgrade Holden into a younger player.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Smith on his current deal is not going to be difficult to move. $4.35 million for a 2nd pairing Dman is good value. It's not like we're talking about a deal like Orpik or MacDonald.

You mean if he oks it (NTC)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We're also assuming that Smith will still be playing like a 2nd pair D by the third year of that contract. Currently, he's only done so for Detroit (not known recently for their defensive depth) and for us when the only RHS we had at the time were Girardi, Klein and Clendening.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can't count on unproven rookies and just hand them spots. Having depth is always better than being short.

We're not the Winnipeg Jets, we don't just assume every young asset in the organization will pan out and then struggle to finish better than 10th every year

Yeah, agreed, but is a 4 year 4.3m contract suitable insurance for the event that the 22 y/o who we targeted when we traded our No 1 center isn't ready? Hayes and Vesey played right out of the gates. We didn't hand them a spot and we had insurance for them. Being like Stool and Jooris or something like that. It's not like we outbid everyone for Andrew Ladd in the event Vesey needed more time...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, agreed, but is a 4 year 4.3m contract suitable insurance for the event that the 22 y/o who we targeted when we traded our No 1 center isn't ready? Hayes and Vesey played right out of the gates. We didn't hand them a spot and we had insurance for them. Being like Stool and Jooris or something like that. It's not like we outbid everyone for Andrew Ladd in the event Vesey needed more time...

You're the second person who mentioned Smith being an insurance policy. I don't get it - where did this notion come from? There're are three spots to fill at 3D. If Shattenkirk and Smith are not signed who plays there? Do you seriously think it would be Holden, Bereglazov and DeAngelo? :shakehead

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Disappointed we arent in on Jagr.

Also how does he go from getting zero offers to the Flames offering $3.7? Talk about overpaying

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I think you're right about staal... Smith can go back to the left, he'll crush his competition, pionk can take 3RD by middle of this season or start of next.... Plus we don't have to waste assets on a spare defender for the playoffs.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Free prospect is great and all, but there really shouldn't be too many expectations for this kid at the NHL level this year. I said it before, but I see him topping out as a 4A type of player for the AHL, but don't see the NHL upside.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Zip saying several see him as an NHL 3C-4C. Not that I know any better, but I think he and Andersson would compete well against each other for minutes, hopefully render Desharnais expendable

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Free prospect is great and all, but there really shouldn't be too many expectations for this kid at the NHL level this year. I said it before, but I see him topping out as a 4A type of player for the AHL, but don't see the NHL upside.

As it stands right now, if they sign Kerfoot, he'll be on the team next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad