Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part V: Strangers in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
It's astounding that Staal wasn't bought out and Holden is still here. Yuck.

I think between Staal and Girardi only one was going to be bought out and it came down to length of cap penalty. 8 years is a tough pill to swallow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's astounding that Staal wasn't bought out and Holden is still here. Yuck.

Yeah I mean buying out Staal just so AV doesn't play him is a worth the buy out alone.

I couldn't care less if they keep Holden or not. They could do a lot worse for a 7th D and his contact expires in the summer.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think between Staal and Girardi only one was going to be bought out and it came down to length of cap penalty. 8 years is a tough pill to swallow.

And they have cap space so as a 3rd pair Staal isn't as bad .

Holden actually is a good depth guy they just could use a C more

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So based on the current lineup Nieves likely makes it. They have to bring in a vet to compete cause if not we are going to see DD a lot more than I want

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have a hard time believing Nieves is an everyday NHLer.

If it were me I'd be very concerned right now if I'm Gorton.

I probably sign Vanek a righty we could use. Move miller to center ice.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Zucc Hayes Nash
Vesey Miller Vanek
Puempel Desharnais Grabner
Fast IR

Let me see Andersson In every night over puempel for the 10 games then send to Sweden when Fast gets back.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have a hard time believing Nieves is an everyday NHLer.

If it were me I'd be very concerned right now if I'm Gorton.

I probably sign Vanek a righty we could use. Move miller to center ice.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Zucc Hayes Nash
Vesey Miller Vanek
Puempel Desharnais Grabner
Fast IR

Let me see Andersson In every night over puempel for the 10 games then send to Sweden when Fast gets back.

I have a hard time seeing Grabner on the 4th line

I'd rather sign a guy like Stafford or Winnik to Vanek

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks Miller may end up being our 2C over Hayes this season if he's moved to C full time?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Am I the only one that thinks Miller may end up being our 2C over Hayes this season if he's moved to C full time?

Miller and the Rangers need to determine if he can play center this year. RB has already pointed it out but he is up for a new contract at years end. Centers make and deserve more money than wingers. It's a more important position. It's better for both parties if Miller can show he can be that 2C the team needs.

he was drafted as a Kesler-like center. He played center in Juniors. He played center in the AHL. He played center in the WJC's. The only place he has played wing for an extended amount of time is in the NHL. Some players can't hack it at center with the jump up in leagues but I have found that is mainly due to a couple of factors, they are either not strong enough skaters or their mind can't keep up with the jump in speed. Miller has neither of those problems.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It all depends on if he can stick to a 200-foot game at the NHL level. I think he can handle the increased defensive responsibilities, but I'd like to see him play with an offensive driver like Zucc so he can keep his offensive production up.

Kreider-Mika-Buch
Nash-Miller-Zucc
Vesey-Hayes-Grabner
DD-Nieves-Fast?

Maybe swap Grabner and Fast. Still think we need a depth forward unless I'm missing someone. Put Puempel in for Fast until he's healthy. I didn't include LA on purpose

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We look kind of thin at forward. If we have a couple of injuries or bad seasons things could get messy. Would really like to find another 50-60 point player to help us.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We look kind of thin at forward. If we have a couple of injuries or bad seasons things could get messy. Would really like to find another 50-60 point player to help us.

I think every team says this. I think they should be on the lookout for someone who can put up 20-25 points and play that Fedotenko/Fast/Boyle role that's so valuable. Create some energy, PK, score some and move the puck in the right direction.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Miller and the Rangers need to determine if he can play center this year. RB has already pointed it out but he is up for a new contract at years end. Centers make and deserve more money than wingers. It's a more important position. It's better for both parties if Miller can show he can be that 2C the team needs.

he was drafted as a Kesler-like center. He played center in Juniors. He played center in the AHL. He played center in the WJC's. The only place he has played wing for an extended amount of time is in the NHL. Some players can't hack it at center with the jump up in leagues but I have found that is mainly due to a couple of factors, they are either not strong enough skaters or their mind can't keep up with the jump in speed. Miller has neither of those problems.

Rangers management wants JT to play in the middle. AV is not crazy about the idea but he will have no choice if Gorton does not add a center. Management hopes Miller can make that move when he's able to make that move. What if Miller is better suited for the wing? They want to take a look at Miller playing center at the NHL level. Adam Graves was a natural center too. He was a better left winger.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'd be running miller out there 17 18 mins a night as the 2C if I'm the coach and live with his headaches. Other guys like Hayes don't get moved to 4th line wing when they don't play well.

Miller one of the most underrated guys in terms of creativity on the team (until u put him on the PP) let him play use that size strength and skating ability. I totally believe in this kid as a better center than winger and he needs mins in the top 6

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think every team says this. I think they should be on the lookout for someone who can put up 20-25 points and play that Fedotenko/Fast/Boyle role that's so valuable. Create some energy, PK, score some and move the puck in the right direction.

You may be right about other teams especially in a capped league but I do not want to add another 20-25 point scorer. I think those basically grow on trees in the NHL. We need a guy that will move the needle much more than 20 points but I think a guy that wins board battles and scores 50 points would be great.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Graves was a natural center before going like from 165 to 225 in one summer... ;)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NYR2K2 at (closed) Kerfooot thread
"Who's even remaining as an UFA center? Like, is there anyone out there? My assumption is that if they want to acquire another NHL-caliber center that they'd need to swing a trade."

per capFriendly today, UFA Centers in order, high to low, of last year's Cap Hit:
1.*Brooks Laich, 2.*Mike Ribeiro, 3.*Daniel Winnik, 4.*John Mitchell
5.*Vernon Fiddler, 6.*Jay McClement, 7.*Joe Vitale, 8.*Brandon Pirri
9.*Ryan White, 10.*Boyd Gordon, 11.*Chris Kelly, 12.*Henrik Samuelsson
13.*Casey Bailey, 14.*Andrew Desjardins, 15.*Ben Holmstrom, 16.*Joseph Cramarossa
17.*Chris VandeVelde, 18.*Steven Hodges, 19.*Graham Black, 20.*Troy Bourke
21.*Ryan Olsen, 22.*Jim O'Brien, 23.*Samuel Henley, 24.*Adam Payerl,
25.*Ryan Carter

(i have no idea why HFB site inserted all those *s ... they were not in the text list i copied from

Yankeekid07

Jul 19, 2011
Westchester, NY
NYR2K2 at (closed) Kerfooot thread
"Who's even remaining as an UFA center? Like, is there anyone out there? My assumption is that if they want to acquire another NHL-caliber center that they'd need to swing a trade."

per capFriendly today, UFA Centers in order, high to low, of last year's Cap Hit:
1.*Brooks Laich, 2.*Mike Ribeiro, 3.*Daniel Winnik, 4.*John Mitchell
5.*Vernon Fiddler, 6.*Jay McClement, 7.*Joe Vitale, 8.*Brandon Pirri
9.*Ryan White, 10.*Boyd Gordon, 11.*Chris Kelly, 12.*Henrik Samuelsson
13.*Casey Bailey, 14.*Andrew Desjardins, 15.*Ben Holmstrom, 16.*Joseph Cramarossa
17.*Chris VandeVelde, 18.*Steven Hodges, 19.*Graham Black, 20.*Troy Bourke
21.*Ryan Olsen, 22.*Jim O'Brien, 23.*Samuel Henley, 24.*Adam Payerl,
25.*Ryan Carter

(i have no idea why HFB site inserted all those *s ... they were not in the text list i copied from

I think Winnik makes a ton of sense as the 3C.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He doesn't produce enough offense to play on the 3rd line.

Maybe, but until last season, Desharnais did.

You could run

Zibanejad
Hayes
Desharnais
Winnik

Down the middle in a worst case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad