Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVIII - Calm in the eye of Desolation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It could also be that a deal is agreed to, but given the potential for backlash in acquiring a player with baggage, they want to “bury it leading to the weekend” by announcing Friday afternoon - which is a common corporate tactic w bad news. Don’t know if that still holds up in the world of COVID (what even is a weekend at this point) but could be possible.
This is what I would do if I was Calgary

Announce this bad boy at 8pm tonight and log off for the weekend lol

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
And on the rumors, a reasonable take of things so far might be that the ball in in Calgary’s court and there are having some additional discussions / diligence to weigh the risks.

It could also be that a deal is agreed to, but given the potential for backlash in acquiring a player with baggage, they want to “bury it leading to the weekend” by announcing Friday afternoon - which is a common corporate tactic w bad news. Don’t know if that still holds up in the world of COVID (what even is a weekend at this point) but could be possible.

Just saying before people start getting antsy about nothing happening despite what we heard and were talking about yesterday...
There's no burying a hockey trade in Canada

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Every GM job is desireable. There are only 32 of them.

Only had one first round draft pick in the last 6 years (And none of 21 draft), along with an aging roster with high salaries in a flat cap period, and you can't deal Letang or Malkin because Uncle Mario blocks you.

The Pens window is the next 2 years and after that, it closes for a long time.

That job is a dumpster fire waiting to be ignited.

Reactions: frozenrubber

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

always liked Toninato, from back at UMD,
played well vs NYR in a couple games for Fla last year,
but maybe comparable to Rooney, Blackwell

Reactions: RangersFan1994

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
When Drury retired, he was offered a spot with a few teams but he wanted to be closer to home in CT where his family lives. It was one of the major reasons he signed with the Rangers to begin with back when he was playing. I get the sense that while he may be eyeing other opportunities, he would MUCH prefer to stay with the Rangers and continue learning and cutting his teeth with Gorton as the main guy until his kids are out of the house. Remember, these guys who play are gone for long stretches so him being home most evenings is probably a nice change for him and the family.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
As others have pointed out, Bennett is still pretty young. DeAngelo himself is from the same draft class but is 8 months older than Bennett is. Meanwhile Tony just had a breakout season with us last year. Does that mean Bennett is going to suddenly realize all of that potential and turn into a high-end player? Of course not, but there's at least the possibility that there's still upside in his game. The nice thing is that if he doesn't reach a new level, he's still a reasonably useful player in his role.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Only had one first round draft pick in the last 6 years (And none of 21 draft), along with an aging roster with high salaries in a flat cap period, and you can't deal Letang or Malkin because Uncle Mario blocks you.

The Pens window is the next 2 years and after that, it closes for a long time.

That job is a dumpster fire waiting to be ignited.

ehh disagree I think it’s an opportunity for a first time GM to prove himself and put his prints on one of the premier organizations in the NHL. That being said, I think Chris just wants to continue working for Rangers at the moment.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
As others have pointed out, Bennett is still pretty young. DeAngelo himself is from the same draft class but is 8 months older than Bennett is. Meanwhile Tony just had a breakout season with us last year. Does that mean Bennett is going to suddenly realize all of that potential and turn into a high-end player? Of course not, but there's at least the possibility that there's still upside in his game. The nice thing is that if he doesn't reach a new level, he's still a reasonably useful player in his role.

He can play center and brings some physical presence which is so key in the playoffs. Forechecks well.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Not saying that Bennett will suddenly become a 25 goal, 60 point player or match the hype of his draft year, but it is worth pointing out that he's younger than guys like ADA, Georgiev, Shesterkin and Lemieux.

So this is a guy with some room to continue his growth still.
I could honestly see that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the from what I heard he wants to play center. He even said something in the playoffs, didn't he? He's a nice fit with our skilled wingers. It may not have worked in Calgary, since he wasn't playing with Gaudreau or other line drivers.

He wouldn't need to drive the line here. He has hands and skill. There's a lot of untapped potential

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Do we have any idea of Buchnevich's perceived value around the league at this point?

You've got to imagine it's sky high, but the better he plays, the more difficult it's going to be to have to let go of him.

It's probably ticking up the chances that he becomes the centerpiece in a deal for a star center though.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Buchnevich is 2nd most complete player on this team imo.

It's going to really, really hurt when we lose him.

Something I never thought I would hear about Buchnevich, but he's become such a good all around player. Him getting on the PK now is great. He's grown so much over the past year and a half. We've been waiting for the breakout and now it seems like this could be just that. I really hope they figure out a way to have him around.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Buchnevich is 2nd most complete player on this team imo.

It's going to really, really hurt when we lose him.
I think he will be here for another 2 years before he is moved.

Another 'bridge deal' taking him to UFA. Buys us time for Kakko and eventually Kravtsov.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I would add to and/or retain on Deangelo in an attempt to get Valimaki added to the return of Bennett. He'd slot in nicely after Miller and Lindgren, is exempt from Seattle. Puts the horrible Smith/Johnson 3LD carousel to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad