Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVIII - Calm in the eye of Desolation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
What would the plan even be with Bennett. Play him at 3C? Rooney and PDG and Blackwell have all played well in limited time and pushing them out for Sam Bennett is fine i guess but longterm i dont get it.

I expect for now he serves as center depth, which is much needed with Chytil out. I'm still guessing that Strome is moved at the deadline so at that time, Bennett and Chytil probably are your middle 6 centers.

And they evaluate to see if Bennett is a keeper long term. It gives them options.

But at this point I think we aren't really counting on the return for ADA being a long term building block, necessarily. If he's another stopgap for 2 years, fine.

Reactions: RGY

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
As for posters who have been concerned about a 'log jam' of forwards.

Competition is good. Up and down the lineup. Guys play better when they know there's a perfectly competent replacement waiting to take your place.

While I'm as thrilled as anyone that PDG, Blackwell, Rooney, and others have shown well, none of them are the kind of player that has me thinking we need to avoid trades that might reduce their role somewhat.

There are always injuries. I think odds are on average you're missing between 1-2 forwards each game. Depth is important, especially in a season where we might lose players randomly from game to game with COVID or COVID protocol. We're also just about scraping the barrel in forward depth- I'd rather not see Brodzinski ever again
Exactly.

And as for the roster going forward, there will be moves that will require assets going the other way. Better to make those moves from a surplus rather than weakening one position to fill another.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Can we trade TDA for Sam Bennett and force Bennett to play RW?

He can play the crash and bang role on the 3rd line that PDG plays/played opening up some room for Laf and Chytil to show their skill. Wouldn’t even care if he doesn’t put up many points doing it.

KZB
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Laf-Chytil-Bennett
Any hodgepodge of Rooney/Blackwell/Lemieux/Howden/PDG

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Gorton is pretty young, is he going to give him the GM job for a cushier President role anytime soon? Not so sure

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
When Gorton gives up the reins and moves to President, Drury becomes GM

Frankly, that might be a while. Gorton really loves the nitty gritty aspects of being GM, and despite being in the role for more than 5 years, is still only 52 years old. He waited a long time for this opportunity and I'm not sure he's looking to move on in the near future.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Frankly, that might be a while. Gorton really loves the nitty gritty aspects of being GM, and despite being in the role for more than 5 years, is still only 52 years old. He waited a long time for this opportunity and I'm not sure he's looking to move on in the near future.
For them to incentivize Drury staying around and potentially working more with the big club, what is it that he has that compliments JG? JG seems like not the best speaker, maybe they want Chris to do some more of the talking in public?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
And he’s got the gig with the best team in the biz, you’d have to take me kicking and screaming if I was in his spot lol

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Can we trade TDA for Sam Bennett and force Bennett to play RW?

He can play the crash and bang role on the 3rd line that PDG plays/played opening up some room for Laf and Chytil to show their skill. Wouldn’t even care if he doesn’t put up many points doing it.

KZB
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Laf-Chytil-Bennett
Any hodgepodge of Rooney/Blackwell/Lemieux/Howden/PDG

i think of him more as a winger. He would play wherever needed I’m sure and can take faceoffs

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Seriously. As well as Rooney, PDG, Blackwell have played, there isn't room for all 3 beyond this year and its likely only 1 or 2 come back anyway.

They were some great finds in free agency, but I don't think Gorton is losing sleep about how to distribute $ and ice time to his 4th line veterans who will either come back at $1.25m or less, or walk somewhere else and be replaced by a cheaper option.
Dont forget about the bottom six forward we'll be giving Seattle. That will open a space.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
We've been... edged

Not to disparage Edge but the joke is too easy

yep he hit us w a massive spear

I got the impression ADA may have travelled to Calgary . Maybe they are in a zoom meeting now lol

Calgary plays Saturday so let’s see if Bennett is still scratched

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
And on the rumors, a reasonable take of things so far might be that the ball in in Calgary’s court and there are having some additional discussions / diligence to weigh the risks.

It could also be that a deal is agreed to, but given the potential for backlash in acquiring a player with baggage, they want to “bury it leading to the weekend” by announcing Friday afternoon - which is a common corporate tactic w bad news. Don’t know if that still holds up in the world of COVID (what even is a weekend at this point) but could be possible.

Just saying before people start getting antsy about nothing happening despite what we heard and were talking about yesterday...

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
And on the rumors, a reasonable take of things so far might be that the ball in in Calgary’s court and there are having some additional discussions / diligence to weigh the risks.

It could also be that a deal is agreed to, but given the potential for backlash in acquiring a player with baggage, they want to “bury it leading to the weekend” by announcing Friday afternoon - which is a common corporate tactic w bad news. Don’t know if that still holds up in the world of COVID (what even is a weekend at this point) but could be possible.

Just saying before people start getting antsy about nothing happening despite what we heard and were talking about yesterday...

Yeah no this is the right take. Jokes aside, these things don't happen overnight, as much as we want them to.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
yep he hit us w a massive spear

I got the impression ADA may have travelled to Calgary . Maybe they are in a zoom meeting now lol

Calgary plays Saturday so let’s see if Bennett is still scratched
Hope it doesn’t bother you a Flames fan coming in here to comment, but we could also get an idea of where Bennett lies in the Flames plans at practice today (scheduled for 12 MT). Ward talked about getting tougher to play against and inserting some guys for Saturday’s matchup with the Oilers. A pissed of Bennett fits that description, so we’ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad