Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
last year at ES, zibanejad averaged 15:20, strome averaged 14:24 and chytil averaged 13:32. that's pretty balanced for the top 3 lines.
Problem is that Mika got both pp and sh time, strome got pp time, and chytil occasionally got pp time on the second squad but it was the first pp line that got a majority of time.
Again anytime Quinn was chasing a lead, you saw panarin + Mika. The pp was just more of that, as you saw panarin+strome + Mika.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Problem is that Mika got both pp and sh time, strome got pp time, and chytil occasionally got pp time on the second squad but it was the first pp line that got a majority of time.
Again anytime Quinn was chasing a lead, you saw panarin + Mika. The pp was just more of that, as you saw panarin+strome + Mika.

special teams time has nothing to do with 3rd line usage and if quinn uses the lines evenly...whether or not lafreniere gets those additional minutes will depend on if he's on the pp and could make a big difference in his time per game. whether he's on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line at even strength isn't going to be that difference. and those ES lines won't determine the special teams...if Lafreniere plays with Mika and Kreider drops down to play on the 3rd line with Chytil, Kreider is still a lock for the #1 pp.

plus looking at it purely from the coaching standpoint...we lacked depth last year. as kids hopefully develop and our forwards become deep you will likely see more balance with ice time helping keep the top guys fresh

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
19-20 season we had mika and panarin playing on separate lines, but anytime they were down in the third period it was always back to one line.
So pretty much exactly what I said then, he hasn’t had a situation where he has one line with Mika, on with Panarin and one with Laf.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I wish Gauthier could be the odd cog for the Panarin/Strome rainbow connection. Run Laf and Kakko with Zib and Kreider Chytil and Buchnevich as a third line that could truly feast on mismatches.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I wish Gauthier could be the odd cog for the Panarin/Strome rainbow connection. Run Laf and Kakko with Zib and Kreider Chytil and Buchnevich as a third line that could truly feast on mismatches.

As much as that sounds great, from a play style perspective I dont see both laf and kakko producing well on the same line. Kakko's play is driven from his puck possession, every clip of him excelling was him just absolutely wearing down defenders by sharp cuts. If that's going to be his game going forward, then he'd prob do great with someone like CK or Buch, but not Laf.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

C’mon, dog, do you really want to saddle Lafreniere and Kakko with the top line responsibilities before they really cut their teeth? Maybe down the road but not off the get go.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
C’mon, dog, do you really want to saddle Lafreniere and Kakko with the top line responsibilities before they really cut their teeth? Maybe down the road but not off the get go.
I don’t disagree with you, not sure why you’re quoting me since I didn’t say anything about kakko and laf on the first line.
I’d say laf probably should start on the 3rd with chytil unless ck moves to the right side; and kakko either on the 1st or 2nd depending on his growth from last season.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.

If Kravtsov can do that late this coming season, I'd be pumped. Three 2nd lines. An outlier, but I love the premise.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t disagree with you, not sure why you’re quoting me since I didn’t say anything about kakko and laf on the first line.
I’d say laf probably should start on the 3rd with chytil unless ck moves to the right side; and kakko either on the 1st or 2nd depending on his growth from last season.

Lol, fixed! I meant to quote @Loki Dog 74 who you’re responding to.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Incredible.

What’s the deal here. Is this just the stink from the whole Karlsson/Ottawa fallout?
He probably already has a contract agreed to but it can't be made official yet because St. Louis needs to do some cap maneuvering with Steen/Tarasenko. He's not scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for work, I can tell you that.

Reactions: Barnaby and Avery16

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They're already saying it's just a temporary thing and once they can LTIR Steen/Tarasenko they'll have room to give him a real deal. It's not like an actual league min.

Reactions: Avery16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad