Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXI - We are in The End Game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
You can’t rush this. I don’t think there is going to be a ton of trade movement in general until after the buyout window and arbitration. Yes this is a boring part of the summer for sports be we want action. Too bad. Deal with it.
Hockey Snoopy Boring.jpg

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I thought the second article was a reasoned response to all the flack he got over the first article. You (and I) may disagree but he does spell out his logic.

He did a solid job with it imo. If you don't buyout Names or can't trade him now, you can get a mid-rounder for him as a rental with some retention. So there's some logic to that decision.

Smith presents an option as an extra body. Adds the depth, and no one is trading for him, but as poorly as Smith showed in year 1 of his extension with the Rangers, he wasn't as bad last year. Not great, not an everyday player, but he wasn't an embarrassment.

With Smith, they may like what he brings on and off the ice more than Shattenkirk as competing goes. Not saying Smith is good by any stretch, but for a team trying to rebuild their culture... I think Smith offers more utility than Shattenkirk.

With Shatts, there may very well be mutual interest to part ways. I see Shattenkirk as a good interview on TV, but beyond that he doesn't present a hole lot of value for the Rangers.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
1. I don't want Kreider signing a new contract with us
2. Trading him during the season brings a lot of risks (injuries etc)
3. Letting him walk for free in 2020 is the worst possible outcome
Yeah, those are all fair. I wouldn't hate if we re-signed him so we differ there. It is also possible that we are only getting squeezed for bad offers right now.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Yeah, that's fair. I just don't like feeling restricted. I haven't looked at the whole picture, but if we do the Shattenkirk buyout, and then again have to give new contracts to ADA and Lemieux, plus one to Georgiev, would we then be tight again? I haven't particularly liked this "cap crunch" thing and it feels wrong given the generally young nature of the team, and I don't want to endure it again. I'd rather choke down as much as we can tolerate this year if it makes it better for future seasons. Next year is the year I think we can hopefully really compete.

Next off season, after Georgiev gets his extension, we should have about 11-12m in cap space to sign 2 forwards and ice a full roster. They will have tons of breathing room with the cap next year.

Reactions: eco's bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Next off season, after Georgiev gets his extension, we should have about 11-12m in cap space to sign 2 forwards and ice a full roster. They will have tons of breathing room with the cap next year.
Is that including the costs of a Shattenkirk buyout?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The fact that Jason Pominville is still unsigned baffles me since he's been a top line caliber RW 5v5 two out of the past three seasons and a great possession player in all of those. He'd be a great pickup if he came cheap on a 1 year deal and would allow us to move out both of Names and Strome without much worry, with that good a winger corps I doubt we can't find two middle-6 centers out of the Chytil/Andersson/Howden group.

upload_2019-7-28_23-18-46.png

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The fact that Jason Pominville is still unsigned baffles me since he's been a top line caliber RW 5v5 two out of the past three seasons and a great possession player in all of those. He'd be a great pickup if he came cheap on a 1 year deal and would allow us to move out both of Names and Strome without much worry, with that good a winger corps I doubt we can't find two middle-6 centers out of the Chytil/Andersson/Howden group.

View attachment 246853
He just got paid 10 million over the last 2 years to produce 65 total points and is 37 by the 2nd month of the season. He might have an inflated sense of self worth, moreso than what potential suitors are willing to pay.

Reactions: RGY

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
upload_2019-7-28_17-32-33.png

The Rangers blew it last month when they didn't use the 1/3 buyout on Strome.

Use another buyout this week on Smith.

upload_2019-7-28_17-33-14.png

Add another forward at around $1M.

The Rangers would have around $700,000 in space with 13 forwards and 7 D. Still very tight.

Shattenkirk buyout

upload_2019-7-28_17-39-15.png

Look at those rosters. This is team which should self rent Kreider?

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Maybe I'm thinking about retained salary transactions, but isn't there also a limit on how many buy-outs a team can have on their cap at one time? We already have 2

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Who ever advocated for self renting Kreider? That would very obviously be a bad move and the worst case scenario for us.

Reactions: Lays

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Still say Names should go. If he has no future here, why hold out hope for a potential 3rd rounder. Just buy him out now. Trade Kreider and bury Smith. Shattenkirk has a chance to give us much more at the TDL than Names or he could be moved after 7/1.

There is no need to use a buyout on someone that will cost us more next season. We should be making moves to become more of a contender next season than now. Having over 7M in dead cap won't help that.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
View attachment 246855

The Rangers blew it last month when they didn't use the 1/3 buyout on Strome.

Use another buyout this week on Smith.

View attachment 246857

Add another forward at around $1M.

The Rangers would have around $700,000 in space with 13 forwards and 7 D. Still very tight.

Shattenkirk buyout

View attachment 246859

Look at those rosters. This is team which should self rent Kreider?
I mean this is simplifying what has been said.

It was said Kreider would be dealt if they are not a top team by the deadline.

I thought this was a pretty easy thing to understand.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Still say Names should go. If he has no future here, why hold out hope for a potential 3rd rounder. Just buy him out now. Trade Kreider and bury Smith. Shattenkirk has a chance to give us much more at the TDL than Names or he could be moved after 7/1.

There is no need to use a buyout on someone that will cost us more next season. We should be making moves to become more of a contender next season than now. Having over 7M in dead cap won't help that.
I prefer Strome to Names but Strome may have a tradable value now and Names could help the new Russians

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Kreider stays and RB is correct, unless the goaltending was an absolute shitshow I think that team makes the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad