Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVIII: At part 58, I am out of titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If the Rangers add Puljujaarvi, would he be able to be exposed at the expansion draft? I believe the answer to that is 'yes'

Yes but why would they trade for him to expose him when they can just sign some random guy to expose and not give up anything?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
If Edmonton is interested in Namestnikov, I'd take a flier on Puljujaarvi. I'd also expect a mid-round pick back, say perhaps a 4th rounder but seeing if they can recoup something from a guy like him wouldn't be a bad idea.

The pick is probably going in the wrong direction there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes but why would they trade for him to expose him when they can just sign some random guy to expose and not give up anything?

All I am saying is that if they add him and it doesn't work out in a couple of years, he is a player they can use to expose to Seattle.

Based on their current cap situation, they may have trouble finding a player or two next year to take 2 year deals without a NMC. Those contracts that are exposable will most likely require a bit of an over payment as far as cap hit as the player is taking the risk of going to an expansion team. Can this team afford to overpay a depth player or two?

My thought would be to sign Nieves at the end of this year to a 2 year deal and then sign Puljujaarvi to a 2 year deal as well. If one or both outperform then re-arrange who you protect if needed but if it doesn't work out, you have your exposable forwards all set.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
That would be a tragic trade return for Kreider.

Kreider for a reclamation project and a 3rd or 4th rounder??

I would offer them a 3rd round pick and say take it or leave it.

This board’s obsession with Puljujarvi needs to end.

Agreed. The Rangers at this stage will soon begin needing to shift to trying to acquire

a) Another bankable young or youngish star player (because what team can't use that?)
b) Center depth, or
c) safer prospects that will begin to replace the middle-6 or bottom-6 once they come off ELCs

The swing for the fences gamble is the move you make when you are terrible and with no stable of young stars who you will rely on in the future, so why not? But at this point the ice time he'd need, will be squeezed out by the development time we have to give to Kakko and Kravtsov.

Where does Puljujarvi even fit, even if he pans out? Is he better than the 50-60 point player we are hoping Buch turns into? I think the days of hoping Puljujarvi turns into an elite superstar are over, and he'd be hoping to carve out maybe a middle 6 role at this point, but there's no room at the inn for him right now, here.

Same really goes for Gusev. Unless he comes for peanuts, I can't see how he fits. He's not a better prospect than Kakko or Kravtsov. He's a winger. Unless he's cheaper than Buch in terms of acquisition and retention (ie, his new contract), then what's the point? Gusev is a gamble. At $4m for him, we not only have to move out Kreider and Namestnikov, but we also HAVE TO buy out Shattenkirk and maybe Smith too. Maybe we can't re-sign one of the RFAs, if we import Gusev.

Too many moving pieces. Signing Panarin closed the door to these shots in the dark.

Which is fine, because Panarin is a sure thing, elite player, and Gusev is an unknown. You'd only be hoping Gusev can turn into a fraction of what Panarin actually is.

All those moves to squeeze him in, and where does he play? Third line? At 27 years old? Does he play on the second line and bump down (or out) Buchnevich? I mean, I could conceivably see a scenario where he ends up better than Buchnevich, sure, but there is too much uncertainty and too many other changes I'd have to make just to see if I have a small upgrade over Buch (and much older). But is that what we are saying? We feel so good about Gusev that we are gonna sacrifice Buch?

Because if Gusev comes, that's probably what happens, either short term or long term.

Maybe he's an 80 point guy and I'm just out of the loop, but I feel like if he really was that, teams would be lining up to pay him that apparently $4m contract he wants. I don't see a long line right now so there must be a little more uncertainty than that.

If the Rangers are gonna be throwing chum in the water to see what they can dredge up, they need to be fishing for young top 6 center types. If a guy like Hayes or Kreider can bring a first and a B prospect, then maybe a guy like Kreider AND Buch AND a B-level defensive prospect of our own could bring back a B+ or A- center prospect.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Lmao they've made 3 trades since the end of the season.

If that isn't tops in the league (Chicago may have 4 or 5) its close.
Bingo.

Additionally, why would a GM give up assets when there are still some decent wingers left on the market? Names is likely late summer/deadline trade fodder. Edmonton does make a ton of sense. He would put up 25 goals/60 points next to McDavid.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't really feel comfortable crediting an AGM with a cup win (which he was until 2010). We don't credit Chris Drury for the rebuild either, right?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Starting to feel like nobody wants to trade with us...

It looks like Namestnikov has negative value.
I get the sentiment because I too am worried about the cap and getting fair value for Kreider but I just keep telling myself to breathe and that Gorton and JD know what they're doing lol

Then I look at the calendar and think "plenty of time still" which makes me feel better and then worse because I WANT TO SEE THIS TEAM!!!

Reactions: bl02

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here's what's most concerning to me about JP.

In three years- he hasn't put on a lot of muscle or matured physically. I was enamored with him as a 16 and 17 year old in the international tournaments I saw- he dominated. Big, Fast, Skilled, and damn near hard to stop.

EDM- Like usual, rushed him in as an 18 year old. Which has been the same mistake they've been making for 13 years in a row now (dumbfounding).

But JP needed to become stronger to be effective against men, and in 3 years, that hasn't happened.

Simply put, his game from juniors will not translate with a weak skinny frame.

The hockey IQ questions are valid. There's a lack of it.

IMO what JP can be, if he turns things around, is a 3rd line winger that plays on the 2nd PP unit. I don't see a better player than that.

EDM wants a 2nd round pick or use him as currency in a cap dump.

I would say it's a stretch for me to offer a 3rd at this point. Especially after last year.

However, I am more than okay with trading multiple D prospects that are buried in the Rangers line up. Skellberg, Gross & Day for JP and a AHLer.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Another big drawback to Pulju is he has so much service time you can't send him down without putting him through waivers, right? So maybe that's where the idea of shipping him to Europe for a year really comes from.

When we're bringing up so many young players at the same time, we have to make sure we don't get stuck in that bind with anyone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here's what's most concerning to me about JP.

In three years- he hasn't put on a lot of muscle or matured physically. I was enamored with him as a 16 and 17 year old in the international tournaments I saw- he dominated. Big, Fast, Skilled, and damn near hard to stop.

EDM- Like usual, rushed him in as an 18 year old. Which has been the same mistake they've been making for 13 years in a row now (dumbfounding).

But JP needed to become stronger to be effective against men, and in 3 years, that hasn't happened.

Simply put, his game from juniors will not translate with a weak skinny frame.

The hockey IQ questions are valid. There's a lack of it.

IMO what JP can be, if he turns things around, is a 3rd line winger that plays on the 2nd PP unit. I don't see a better player than that.

EDM wants a 2nd round pick or use him as currency in a cap dump.

I would say it's a stretch for me to offer a 3rd at this point. Especially after last year.

However, I am more than okay with trading multiple D prospects that are buried in the Rangers line up. Skellberg, Gross & Day for JP and a AHLer.

If you're Gorton and you see him as a possible 2-way 40-50 point winger who can play in all situations (PP, PK, ES) and you acquire him as such that's still a valuable player. He doesn't have to be that ppg winger he was drafted to be originally in NY.

Basically, the hope would be to get another Namestnikov in a year or two which is a valuable player but not for 4th overall

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What I mean is nobody seems to want to help us with our cap issues.

We're gonna have to give up an asset to move VN.

Or maybe you should be less concerned until after nearly all of the middle-6 UFA options find homes. Ferland might be off the table soon. Dzingel, Williams, Vanek, Maroon are still out there. Aberg too depending on how you view him.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Nothing happens this time of year

Doubt we’ll see a trade anytime soon. Probably closer to September.

Same thing happened last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad