Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVIII: At part 58, I am out of titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Trading Fast only saves like 1 million ?

Can they attach Belesky to Namestnikov and take less back ?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Trading Fast only saves like 1 million ?

Can they attach Belesky to Namestnikov and take less back ?

Beleskey is getting sent to Hartford. His cap hit becomes next to nothing down there (875k).

Once Kreider is traded, we'll find out if anyone else goes. Most likely Namestnikov goes too. Think Smith is sent to Hartford as well. They could then sign a defender that is much cheaper than the 1.050M that can be buried.

Think Kreider is still bound to Colorado and I could see Names with some salary retained to Ottawa for a pick.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
there has nothing said from either side to indicate that trouba is being a ballbuster or that there is any issue between the sides and what is being offered and what is being asked. so not sure why we would speculate there is. trouba did that in winnipeg cause he wanted out of winnipeg. every thing we've heard is that he wants to be in ny for his girlfriends career...

given no indication of issues or anything from trouba's agent pushing the issue, I think that its more likely that they already have an agreement in place and they are holding off on announcing it to buy themselves time to make other moves

effen

Feb 3, 2018
If the Rangers signed Panarin only to go and trade Trouba at the deadline, then that’s a problem and they made a very wrong decision.
No, and I doubt that's how they think. That means something went wrong along the way they put very little weight into but unlikely does not mean never.

If they are happy with their process right now then no result will change that, nor should it.

Fans can second guess all day, management should never.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Agreed. There is a decent amount of risk there for Trouba as well.
Yeah I mean risky mostly for him. We didn’t pay all that much to get him. If he takes a one year deal now and has a 30pt season where plays 60 games, it’ll hurt his earning a lot.

I hope he doesn’t have that kind of season but it’s not so impossible that I’d bet tens of millions of dollars on it if I were him

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I can’t imagine a situation where the Rangers go through all this effort to acquire Trouba only to flip him 6 months later

It would be quite frankly embarrassing if that’s the plan

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
@Vitto79 Fast's cap hit is $1.85. It's a fine hit but doubt they pay him a substantial raise.

The Rangers didn't sign Panarin and Trouba to dangle them. They are main parts of the rebuild for the team to improve as soon as next season. There will be no more tanking going on at least not intentionally.

Trouba's contract will get done probably by early next week. Gorton is patient. Very patient. He isn't on a beach somewhere or sipping a mimosa. He's analyzing deals or engaging in talks. He's trying to maximize his prized assets (Kreider, Names, Fast, Buch) or get back/attach as little as possible to the anchors (Smith and Shattenkirk).

Ultimately he will pull the trigger one way or another but not until he's satisfied. The market is chess. Dzingel who had nearly as many goal as Kreider but a bad playoffs went for under $4 million. Vancouver just gave Michael Ferlund $3.5. Those definitely impact Kreider who is a superior player to both.

Reactions: bobbop and egelband

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
One things to keep in mind- The Rangers need a buyout, perhaps even two to make Trouba & the other RFAs fit.

It could very well be that they are waiting to sign Trouba near the arbitration dates to pull the trigger on the buyouts.

The Rangers need to clear ~$5.3M in addition to the cap space that they have today.

I think Smith is a goner via buyout.

That's $3.3M.

You need to clear another $2M. I would expect Names to be moved. You can retain $1M, and take on two one-way contracts that can be buried in the minors and make things work.
There could possibly be a handshake deal to go to arbitration so the Rangers will get a break for this season but will happily pay more next season when they have time to make a few trades.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’m in awe at the doubt here that Trouba isn’t signing for 7 years. A move will be made. He will be locked up by the end of the month.

I still think we trade Kreider and give up a pick to get rid of 50% of Shattenkirk or Smith. Names and Strome stay. Trading Kreider is the final necessary step of this rebuild.

Reactions: egelband

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Part of me does wonder what Namestinkov can do with some elite talent on his line... he did great with TBay playing with elite players... perhaps he can do it again? It might raise his trade value or help us make a run into the playoffs. If we trade Names now at what I believe is his lowest value then we’ll be retaining and possibly adding a pick / prospect just to get him off the team.

Best move to make IMO is trading a player with value and that’s Kreider. Would prefer to keep him until the deadline (if we ain’t making the playoffs) or use him for said playoff run.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I can’t imagine a situation where the Rangers go through all this effort to acquire Trouba only to flip him 6 months later

Its not so terribly different from having to flip Yandle for pennies on the dollar because we couldn't move Nash.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

I don't think it would be embarrassing. They weren't able to talk with him about an extension prior to the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad