Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Lou will work some CBA magic and offer Marner smth the Leafs cant match. We’ll have to deal with Barzal Marner. You guys better not be hoping for an Isles offersheet.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I dunno...wasn't the same thing said when the penguins gave big contracts to Crosby Malkin Fleury and Letang?

You just need to do a better job of filling in around them.

Marner at that contract fits the maple leafs time frame.

Where the leafs have screwed up is paying ancillary players and not doing a good job drafting outside of their top 10 picks.

If you're spreading the love (F/D/G) that's one thing, but 40plus% of your cap tied to three forwards doesn't leave alot to work with in filling out a team

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lou will work some CBA magic and offer Marner smth the Leafs cant match. We’ll have to deal with Barzal Marner. You guys better not be hoping for an Isles offersheet.

Lou will break some CBA rule and get dinged by the NHL again before he puts together something that the Leafs won't match.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If the Isles expect to be in the top 10 for the next 4 years (and with Marner and Barzel they probably will) then 4 1st rounders isnt the end of the world for a potential 100 point player at the young age of 22.

If they start to crap out, which is also very possible with that team, then 4 1st rounders could be a disaster if they start missing out on top 10 picks.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Panarin made sense for them without Lee. Now that they brought back Lee, would it make sense?
Apparently they were bringing back Lee whether they got Panarin or not according to Isle sources. Whether that is true or not is another question.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Apparently they were bringing back Lee whether they got Panarin or not according to Isle sources. Whether that is true or not is another question.
That's not what I read. There was an article just the other day from one of their beat writers that said their intention was to hold firm at 5 years on Lee, and only became willing to go to 7 when they lost out on Panarin.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That's not what I read. There was an article just the other day from one of their beat writers that said their intention was to hold firm at 5 years on Lee, and only became willing to go to 7 when they lost out on Panarin.

Which doesn't say that they were only signing Lee if they didn't sign Panarin.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I didnt read years. I read they had planned on bringing back Lee regardless of Panarin, which you confirmed too from that article.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They said they were trying to do both. Who knows if what they said is true or not though.

Their actions would suggest otherwise, which makes that statement more PR than reality. Also, looking at their cap situation, they'd have to dump off some contracts if they did both. Most likely, that plays out in them offering Lee less than he's willing to accept and having him sign elsewhere.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How about this:

Chris Kreider and Marc Staal (agrees to waive NTC) to the Jets for Logan Stanley and Jack Roslovic

How are they affording that, and why would they do it if they could? They got just under 23 mil in cap space, but they have to re-sign Laine, Conner, Copp and Pionk. They can't afford to take on 10 mil in cap.

dapowl

kaapo kakko.
Aug 22, 2017
Dresden
If they go the buyout route, I guess Smith makes the most sense for this year and next. Saves approx. $3.5MM this year and $1.4MM next.

Shattenkirk makes no sense with the amount of the hit in year 2 and I also believe he will rebound his value to where he can be dealt at some point this coming season.

yes i think that makes the most sense. I would try to avoid a buyout till the very end if possible

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Their actions would suggest otherwise, which makes that statement more PR than reality. Also, looking at their cap situation, they'd have to dump off some contracts if they did both. Most likely, that plays out in them offering Lee less than he's willing to accept and having him sign elsewhere.

There's been talk all summer about dealing Leddy so they was probably the plan.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
When is the second buyout window?

It's variable. It opens after our last arbitration case is settled. That doesn't mean it has to go to arbitration, just that a player has to elect arbitration and then sign a contract. So if Trouba elects arbitration and we signed him to a contract tomorrow, the 2nd buyout window will open.

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's variable. It opens after our last arbitration case is settled. That doesn't mean it has to go to arbitration, just that a player has to elect arbitration and then sign a contract. So if Trouba elects arbitration and we signed him to a contract tomorrow, the 2nd buyout window will open.

Either arbitration award or a settlement between player and club.

upload_2019-7-5_15-56-49.png

Source: CBA page 345

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad