Speculation: Roster Building Thread LV: One More Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think Kravtsov and Kakko can do just as much as a moping zucc and Hayes combo

If we play this game then we should also say Chytil Lias and Howden should be much better as well.

Buchnevich sucked to start he may come out guns blazing like he did late in the year.

Defense was the biggest issue and a lot of it had to do with running an Ahler out there 24 mins a night
The rangers were the 24th ranked offense and the 23rd ranked defense.

Defense was not the biggest issue.

Hockey was the biggest issue.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Looking forward to Mark Letestu day

I’m interested in the next move but will be nice once the Panarin decision is over . They likely make trades as the back up plan

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The rangers were the 24th ranked offense and the 23rd ranked defense.

Defense was not the biggest issue.

Hockey was the biggest issue.

But again you subtract two important offensive players without replacing them at the deadline.

We’re not doing that. We’re bringing in two really dynamic offensive talents.

And the defense will improve dramatically.

It should also improve if Hank spends a lot more time on the bench.

Maybe DeAngelo plays all year instead of sitting half of them for a McQuaid.

I think as currently constructed we are a much better team today.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
But again you subtract two important offensive players without replacing them at the deadline.

I think so too, unfortunately, because I really would like a decent chance of lottery luck one more year. A top 3 win - even getting to 3 like the Blackhawks did - would be great for us.

I think we will be significantly better than 6th worst. I don't think, at least not as constructed, that we're a playoff team. I'm not even sure we are if you add Panarin. Probably depends on how good Kakko and Kravtsov are immediately, and how far and fast the defense improves. Of course, Staal, Smith, and Shattenkirk aren't likely to be any better, if not worse, and two of the big improvements we would be counting on there are from TDA (an offensive defenseman) and Fox (who may not even join the team right away, is a rookie, and is also an offensive defenseman). Trouba is obviously huge, plus improvement from Skjei. And then if we can get improvement from guys like Hajek -- if they can even work their way into the lineup.

So all that is a mixed bag. It's up in the air. Probably not a playoff team yet, with or without Panarin, but I could see them being in the teens.

Reactions: nyrage

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016

Add in the developmental curve of Chytil, Howden, Andersson, DeAngelo. Include Fox, Hajek, Lemieux. Now the two dynamic offensive rookies along with a potential breakout year from Buchnevich and yes we have the potential to be a really young playoff team.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I really just have that feeling one of Chytil, Lias or Howdy breaks out this year. Would change the entire landscape.

Reactions: dapowl

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

Too much optimism in this thread today. I said the same thing a while back (plus expected improvement from last year's rookies) and was told that we were still a bottom 5 team. You know, the worst team in regulation last year that lost 120 points from Zuke and Hayes.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

We're bringing in 2 teenagers....teenagers.

If they reproduce what Kevin Hayes and zucc did...for the worst row team in the NHL... It'll be fantastic.

At best were marginally better than last year.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We're bringing in 2 teenagers....teenagers.

If they reproduce what Kevin Hayes and zucc did...for the worst row team in the NHL... It'll be fantastic.

At best were marginally better than last year.

I think some of us are hoping that Chytil, Howden, and Andersson improve their offensive production.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In the Rangers division, really only 1 team may have gotten worse. That’s Pittsburgh. And that’s assuming Malkin has another down year. NJ, Washington, Philly, NYI, Carolina all have either remained at the same level or improved.

The Rangers, from last years deadline, have become deeper in their farm system but as far as the NHL level, they haven’t taken a step forward. Hayes and Zuccarello gone. Trouba in. I’d say that’s maybe a wash. Kreider is most likely gone. Same goes for Vesey. No matter what people expect from Kakko and Kravtsov those guys will have to adjust. Expecting them to replace the production in year 1 of guys who have been in the NHL producing for years is not a good idea. Odds are this team will show flashes for short stretches and then struggle for longer stretches.

If Gorton could find 1 or 2 depth guys who the team likes for the next couple of years it would be a good idea to make those signings. 2 year deals. Trade Namestnikov, Kreider and Vesey prior to this season. Sign a couple of good veteran depth players to 2 year deals, say Boyle as a 4th line LW and prime PKer and say someone like Hartman as another 4th line wing.

This years deadline becomes minimal movement, unless Gorton can find a taker for Staal, Shattenkirk or Smith which are periphery moves honestly.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm just enjoying the calm before the shitstorm.

Anyway, I think with acquiring Trouba, the Rangers are back on a level of where they were at to start last season. Probably a finish between 25-30th in the league. Ottawa and Detroit are still pretty awful gong shows. But beyond that? Fair game for the Rangers, IMO.

I think that in the early months of the season, we're going to see how much this team really misses Zucarello and Hayes' production. Kakko and Kravtsov may do really well and put up 80-90 points between them. Anything beyond that is gravy for them. This team will still have trouble scoring. The defense will be marginally better with Trouba and without Pionk (big addition and addition by subtraction), but I still see Staal and Shattenkirk getting meaningful minutes, which will hold the team back.

Kreider is also likely dealt this summer or at the deadline. Namestnikov, the same, especially if Panarin signs here.

My guess? Sans Panarin, 27th in the league (5th worst)

With Panarin? 20th in the league (11th worst)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Add in the developmental curve of Chytil, Howden, Andersson, DeAngelo. Include Fox, Hajek, Lemieux. Now the two dynamic offensive rookies along with a potential breakout year from Buchnevich and yes we have the potential to be a really young playoff team.

I understand the optimism, but to predict the playoffs, you need to look at the rest of the division/conference as well. Which playoff team are they knocking out, and which other lottery teams are they besting to do so?

This team is not making the playoffs next year, and I don’t think we want them to.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think some of us are hoping that Chytil, Howden, and Andersson improve their offensive production.
Fair enough...and hopefully namestnikov doesn't shoot like 1 percent too so there's opportunity for increased offense...but there's also the flip side where strome probably isn't going to shoot 20 percent...and pionk had a ton of offense to start the season which is also gone...there's a lot of good that could go bad and a lot of bad that could go good...which is why I see this is a push season...I think we're roughly the same. Losing Hayes and zucc but gaining kravtsov kakko and increased production from the other kids... Call it a push.

Only real improvement is trouba. I have serious doubts that Henrik will be able to replicate what he did last year to start the season..I think Henrik is done.

I think we're a bottom 10 team almost guaranteed.

And that's exactly what I think we need. Get lucky, draft byfield...and then ..profit.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If this team makes the playoff that almost definitely means they got strong rookie production out of Kakko/Kravtsov/Fox and/or got big improvements out of Chytil/Andersson/Howden/DeAngelo. I think that is a far better option for the future of the team than them finishing 28th overall because none of the prospects were able to establish themselves. Zibanejad and (possibly) Panarin will not be enough to make this team a playoff team on it's own without big improvement from the other guys as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad