Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIII: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So all of a sudden the panthers who draw next to no one nightly are going to be a maxed salary cap team? Really?

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I'm still perplexed why Florida would be going after Bob so hard when they just drafted Knight 13th OV. I think there's a fair chance he's ready before the presumably 7-year Bob contract expires... I'd think they might be better off going for more of a stop-gap type in Lehner or Varly (etc) to give them more cap flexibility.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm still perplexed why Florida would be going after Bob so hard when they just drafted Knight 13th OV. I think there's a fair chance he's ready before the presumably 7-year Bob contract expires... I'd think they might be better off going for more of a stop-gap type in Lehner or Varly (etc) to give them more cap flexibility.

I don't know that Bob is going to get a 7 year offer from anyone.

His market seems pretty limited. I think 5/10 is possible

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Florida is desperate for quality goalie right now, and if all goes well you can start thinking in 3-4 years time Knight is ready to become a legit starter.

Bob is also one of the top2 goalies Knight looks up to, competition is never a bad thing and it's going to be a long time before Knight gets expensive. Around the time Bob's contract runs out.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So them trying to unload reimers contract would be like us trying to unload Smith’s and not take money back. Not possible.

And Hoffman put up 36 goals 70 pts. Their owner is going to move his 5 mil to spend 12 mil for 12 more points a year? Not to mention probably 20 mil signing bonus

In sunrise. How is this all working?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that their current core is ready to compete now. Barkov, Trochek, Huberdeau, Ekblad. These guys are in their primes. If they wait another 3-4 years for Knight to presumably be ready (and remember, goalies are wildcards) these guys may be out of their primes or out of Florida by that time as their contracts are up.

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was wrong, Reimer has 2 years left.

So them trying to unload reimers contract would be like us trying to unload Smith’s and not take money back. Not possible.

And Hoffman put up 36 goals 70 pts. Their owner is going to move his 5 mil to spend 12 mil for 12 more points a year? Not to mention probably 20 mil signing bonus

In sunrise. How is this all working?

Attach an attractive enough asset and it's entirely possible. They have a wealthy owner who is willing to spend money.

They could miss on Panarin and Bob, but it won't be because of money/cap space. No need for the mental gymnastics.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Reimer has a bad buyout. His cap hit next year if bought out is almost equivalent to what it would be this year if kept. I don't really see anyone trading for him to buy him out. I think (anyone trading for him) woukd just keep him as the backup this year or send him to the AHL.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You've been a poster here since 2002, so I think you should have observed quite a few instances of how much signing an FA for an absurd amount of money (under cap rules Panarin would be second only to Gomez in % of cap taken up) can cost your team down the line.

I also believe that not every situation or scenario ends up the same.

Are the odds against Panarin from being any different than the prior signings, yes they are.

But I'm not afraid of that.

Elite talent is elite talent.

Get them any way you can, more so if it's just cash and marginal assets

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Reimer has a bad buyout. His cap hit next year if bought out is almost equivalent to what it would be this year if kept. I don't really see anyone trading for him to buy him out. I think (anyone trading for him) woukd just keep him as the backup this year or send him to the AHL.

Either way, he is moveable. We could move Smith too if we cared enough to attach the right asset (we shouldn't but we could.)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I was wrong, Reimer has 2 years left.

Attach an attractive enough asset and it's entirely possible. They have a wealthy owner who is willing to spend money.

They could miss on Panarin and Bob, but it won't be because of money/cap space. No need for the mental gymnastics.
n

Lol if anyone is doing mental gymnastics here it’s you my friend. Now they have to attach a very valuable asset and hey little secret. Every teams owner is very wealthy. Doesn’t mean they spend ridiculous money when their team makes none of it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Cap space is a commodity. Tying up 12 mil in cap space, or whatever he ends up at, is a cost. It can cost us the opportunity to make other moves in the future. Look at Toronto. They signed Tavares for just money, now they don't have the cap space to fix their defense.

If we sign Panarin and then have to trade Kreider to make space, and we only get 80 cents on the dollar for him as a result, that is a cost too. If we have to buy out Shattenkirk to make space, that is a cost too against future caps.

Panarin would be out Tavares today.

Tell me when we can expect to have our Auston and Marner level talents to also pay??

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Either way, he is moveable. We could move Smith too if we cared enough to attach the right asset (we shouldn't but we could.)

He's moveable but it would probably cost around a 2nd round pick based on the market we've seen. Canes paid 3.8M to get a 1st and Reimer is owed 3.4M. He has a lower AAV but that won't really matter mid July when they are only talking to teams that have enough cap space anyway.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The Rangers are crazy if they get involved in this.

I liked this though

"General manager Jeff Gorton had substantive contract talks with Jacob Trouba’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, at the draft in Vancouver, The Post has learned. The parties did not reach an agreement, but the pending restricted free agent defenseman, acquired on June 17 from Winnipeg for the 20th-overall pick in the draft and Neal Pionk, is expected to sign a seven-year deal in the tony neighborhood of $7.5-8 million per season."

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Get it done Gorts.

General manager Jeff Gorton had substantive contract talks with Jacob Trouba’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, at the draft in Vancouver, The Post has learned. The parties did not reach an agreement, but the pending restricted free agent defenseman, acquired on June 17 from Winnipeg for the 20th-overall pick in the draft and Neal Pionk, is expected to sign a seven-year deal in the tony neighborhood of $7.5-8 million per season.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
The way I read your post was that you pay both.

That’s fair, I tried not to get too bogged down in the details.

The point is that you don’t get to avoid paying state taxes if they are owed to one state, but the states may be prevented from double-dipping to unreasonably increase your tax burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad