Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIII: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'd be interested in Pavelski for 2 years.

2 years is fine if we miss Panarin and get a good deal for Kreider. The 2020 free agent class is weak and we wouldn’t miss out on a player because of a Pavelski contract.

3 years would be a travesty. I don’t see Pavelski signing anywhere under 3 years.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't understand why pavelski is even a debate. he scored 38 last year, he is still good. at his age why would he sign here over a team with a shot at the cup. there isn't enough cap space to overpay him by that much...we aren't being invited to his party, doesn't matter if you didn't want to go anyway

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
2 years is fine if we miss Panarin and get a good deal for Kreider. The 2020 free agent class is weak and we wouldn’t miss out on a player because of a Pavelski contract.

3 years would be a travesty. I don’t see Pavelski signing anywhere under 3 years.

3 years wouldn't be so bad, though of course I'd prefer 2 years. 3 years from now is the expiration of the Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, and Shesterkin contracts. That actually sounds like pretty good timing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm still not seeing the argument here. Why would we want Pavelski for two years? We're trying to develop young centers. It's going to be tight enough with the cap as is the next two seasons.

If NYR struggle this year it isnt going to be because of a lack of a scoring center iceman.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
We would want Pavelski for the same reason Toronto wanted Marleau, except unlike Toronto we would want to sync that contract so it doesnt impede on our ability to sign our kids at the end of their ELCs. Not to worry, Pavelski isnt coming to NYC especially not for a 2 year 14MM contract.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Maybe it's just my perception, yet everyone seems to love who the Rangers drafted #2, and #9 last draft, (and many of the other picks beyond those) yet then it's like there is a big disconnect about how and why they ended up drafting there once it comes to UFA season.

I'm all for them going for it in one way or another, if that means building a roster they expect to be a lower level lottery finisher who still can compete yet finish there anyway, or if that means they are building a roster to try to win a Cup, yet these in between scenarios where they modestly improve their 2nd line center short term with some older vet or wing, or whatever, I guess I'll just never quite get it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kakko: 6'2"/190
Kravtsov: 6'4"/183
Chyil: 6'2"/210
Zbad: 6'2/215
Buch: 6'3"/196
K̶r̶e̶i̶d̶e̶r̶:̶ ̶6̶'̶3̶"̶/̶2̶2̶0̶

Some big boys :popcorn:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm still not seeing the argument here. Why would we want Pavelski for two years? We're trying to develop young centers. It's going to be tight enough with the cap as is the next two seasons.

If NYR struggle this year it isnt going to be because of a lack of a scoring center iceman.

2C is the spot in the lineup that doesn't have an obvious solution between a young player or vet. You could play Strome there, but that's not really good for anyone. Is Chytil ready for it? Andersson, Howden? At the same time, there isn't an elite level guy out there you might look to sign long-term (Duchene is the closest thing). Getting a good stopgap guy who can shift to the wing if/when a young guy is ready to take the reins is a smart move.

Mostly, I'm concerned with our young, offensively oriented wingers not having a center that suits them to play with.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's a Stephen Colbert gif. Commonly used in meme culture to demonstrate that someone is sitting and watching the commotion that is occurring or is about to occur.

That's what you were looking for, right?
Ha well done

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I would be fine with Panarin... but not at 12 million. Good luck to whoever gives him that contract. He is a good player but not a $12 million dollar player.
I hear ya. It’s just that if your willing to pay 11 for the guy and it sounds like they were comfortable with it, are they really gonna turn the guy away or are they gonna try and come away with something 11.6-11.75.

I have a feeling we’re gonna pay him. That’s just my gut. If they were in on stamkos they played it so coy and it was out in the open so quickly during the talking period that the rangers weren’t even making calls. Yet this isn’t going away, none of the rangers beat have confirmed the rangers are out or that the price is too much. That makes me think it’s gonna end up happening.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
He’ll definitely get 11M. I just don’t think it’s the right fit at this point for the rangers and would be a major mistake (even at a very reasonable 8-9 million).

We’re just not at the got for it level yet and the great deals will come to the team with patience. In just two years we will have massive space and a sea of prime young players if we don’t f it up now.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
And the players will still ask for more

and really, why shouldn't they?

By our count, the league’s average operating income hit a record $25 million for the 2017-18 season, 39% more than the previous season. The league’s current ten-year collective bargaining agreement (both the NHL and the league’s players association have the choice to opt out of the deal in the eighth year of the agreement) was ratified in January 2013 and reduced the players’ share of hockey-related revenue to a 50-50 split with owners, down from 57-43. Since the 2011-12 season average operating income is up more than threefold.

The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams

Reactions: Greg02 and nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad