Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIII: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I am not for Panarin. Too rich in dollar$ to finish the rebuild properly. But I do wonder what Gorton was referring to regarding buyouts when he stated they could use the 10% summer cap overage extension and the second buyout opportunity if there are cases filed for arbitration. This indicates to me that they do have something bigger in mind.
I think it's possible Gorton was sending up a smokescreen that he was going to offersheet someone. I suspect as a bluff to force a trade for a Nylander or Kapanen, or a Gourdie or Callahan for a 1st. I don't believe for a second it would have happened, but there was too much smoke, a lot of it around Gorton, to dismiss all the rumors. So maybe the buyout talk was to address speculation he didn't have enough space to grab Point.

Just a guess. It's just as likely if not moreso that he was talking about a free agent or blockbuster trade.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Panarin would be out Tavares today.

Tell me when we can expect to have our Auston and Marner level talents to also pay??

Kakko and Kravtsov could potentially be those players, but I have no idea. That isn't the point. Cap space is finite. If we are spending 12 mil on one player for the next 7 years, at some point, that is going to impact our ability to make other moves. You can certainly argue that it's worth the cost, but it is a cost.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't love the two options because even though that's kind of an overpayment, it's not one that would keep me up at night.

Reactions: pld459666

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
What's the downside for signing Panarin? It's the money, right? We've actually done a good job with the cap. Maybe not with specific contracts, but I don't recall ever being in a crunch or dumping players for picks like Chicago and Toronto due to cap constraints.

I trust JD and JG have a well though out plan with roster, future RFA's, expansion draft with the % of cap attributed to Panarin with this deal.

It's a lot of money but he's a game changer in his prime. It's too tough to pass up if he fits the number we're looking for.

Reactions: DanishRanger

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Kakko and Kravtsov could potentially be those players, but I have no idea. That isn't the point. Cap space is finite. If we are spending 12 mil on one player for the next 7 years, at some point, that is going to impact our ability to make other moves. You can certainly argue that it's worth the cost, but it is a cost.

I guess that I'm more of a guy that will worry about that if/when it happens and not operate today based off of the assumptions of what may or may not happen in three years when our total cap situation will also be completely different

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Panarin would be out Tavares today.

Tell me when we can expect to have our Auston and Marner level talents to also pay??
This is the problem I see from the Panarin crowd. So dismissive of potential issues. Kakko is one, maybe Kravtsov is the other. Toronto doesn't have a defender at Trouba's pay range.

You are throwing around Tavares so loosely you don't even see the scariness of the comparison. Toronto gave him that deal because they assumed Marner, Matthews and Nylander would be company men and sign for $1-2m less, each. And here we are doing the same thing. Assuming all these guys will sign for less.

Again, center wasn't the need for Toronto but they dropped a crazy amount that forced a really good top 6 center out, and maybe Kadri is gone a year later. We aren't hurting at wing.

During the course of a 7 year deal, Kakko and Kravtsov will exit ELC. Chytil and Andersson, hopefully our Kapanen and Johnson duo, will need new deals. Zibanejed will need a new deal. Fox will need a deal. The two Russians netminders.

And yeah, a bunch of contracts will come off the books. Replaced by new players coming in. I hope to God we don't have a Tavares situation.

Reactions: Miamipuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: