Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2019/2020) - A Day in the Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
I knew about this coming season being his last with SKA but still don’t know what the situation is with Minnesota. I don’t think some of their own fans know what their situation is.

As far as I know, Kaprizov has never stated he does not want to sign with Minnesota. He just hasn't been in a position where he could, because he hasn't been a KHL free agent yet.

PS: He plays for CSKA, not SKA

Reactions: charliemurphy

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
As far as I know, Kaprizov has never stated he does not want to sign with Minnesota. He just hasn't been in a position where he could, because he hasn't been a KHL free agent yet.

PS: He plays for CSKA, not SKA
He resigned for with CSKA 3 years like 2 years after he was drafted, no? I remember there being something about him saying he chose to stay in Russia longer because the Wild didn’t keep in contact with him all that often and he felt unwanted by them

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He resigned for with CSKA 3 years like 2 years after he was drafted, no? I remember there being something about him saying he chose to stay in Russia longer because the Wild didn’t keep in contact with him all that often and he felt unwanted by them

Yes but to me, that's not the same as a player unwilling to sign with the team that drafted him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yes but to me, that's not the same as a player unwilling to sign with the team that drafted him.
I’m not saying he was unwilling (the wild have made a big effort to stay in contact with him and show him how much they want him to come over ever since he resigned with CSKA), but I’d say he had a chance to already, which is probably where the thought that he might be unwilling has come from, justified or not

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Kreider for Seattle's 1st round pick in 2021.
I’m cool with just draft picks, but I’d really rather they load up for 2020. Roster spots are right now, but once these contracts start expiring, like Staal, Smith, Namestnikov, Fast, Strome, etc....well, I’d just like to have prospects on deck sooner rather than later.

I’m extremely impatient so it might just be that.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Namestnikov is a good player, He can move up and down the lineup. He kills penalties, can slide to the middle or the wing and gives the team a measure of grit. He is a valuable asset.

He is also overpaid. This is not hindsight on my part. He is probably a $2.5-$2.75MM player. It was an overpay when he was signed based on his performance when he joined the Rangers in 2018.

Unless things change a great deal he will either a) be traded at the deadline or b) have to accept a haircut in his next contract. With 3/4 of his contract burned out and some retention, he will be a bargain for someone at the deadline. Who knows, that may be the Rangers.

Best case here is probably a hockey trade, if the Rangers can find one.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Namestnikov role on this team is to play solid two way game regardless of the line he plays on.

If hes playing in the top six, it's as a support player for the more offensively gifted players.

If hes playing on the bottom 6 it's as a support player for the youngsters looking to improve their games.

It's an important role, but a limited role

Reactions: Kendo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’m cool with just draft picks, but I’d really rather they load up for 2020. Roster spots are right now, but once these contracts start expiring, like Staal, Smith, Namestnikov, Fast, Strome, etc....well, I’d just like to have prospects on deck sooner rather than later.

I’m extremely impatient so it might just be that.

I was just being a smart ass throwing the Kreider for Seattle 2021 1st out there but that pick is going to be a top 5 you know.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m not saying he was unwilling (the wild have made a big effort to stay in contact with him and show him how much they want him to come over ever since he resigned with CSKA), but I’d say he had a chance to already, which is probably where the thought that he might be unwilling has come from, justified or not
Maybe new management helps the Wild in this case. Seems like they weren't the most buttoned-up front office there, for a while.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
good for all the optimism about Names...I know he's still young and does some things well but let's be honest we couldn't give him away the last few months. I would be almost certain JG tried and nobody was taking him without serious retention. Says a lot.

Says he is overpaid. I think everyone would agree he is probably a 2-3 mill player and most teams that would want to add him have their own cap issues.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Namestnikov is an overpaid mediocre hockey player at best.

He provides a spark and I'm not saying he is a point producer or anything but his work ethic is contagious. Overpaid yes, but he he is the type of player that can be added to a line that's struggling to find some jump. Not the same player but Hagelin had that effect as well.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You have to have a very high IQ to understand Namestnikov’s game, he makes plays that are ahead of his time and aren’t appreciated through the lens of a 2018 hockey fan. In about 10 years other players will successfully adopt some of his plays, and people will finally appreciate what Namestnikov was doing.

Absolute genius, one of the highest IQ players in the league with a hell of a motor, a Swiss Army knife player. It’s hard for people to understand the things he does through the lens of a 2019 hockey fan but in the future people will understand him. He’s ahead of his time and thinks the game on another level, he’s playing 4d chess every time he steps on the ice.

He may not have the shot of Stammer or the hands of Kuch but he was the brains behind the operation. He was making very futuristic plays that go unnoticed to the casual hockey fan but one day when analytics become advanced enough they’ll be able to pin down exactly what it was that made Vladislav Delorean Namestnikov so special.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You have to have a very high IQ to understand Namestnikov’s game, he makes plays that are ahead of his time and aren’t appreciated through the lens of a 2018 hockey fan. In about 10 years other players will successfully adopt some of his plays, and people will finally appreciate what Namestnikov was doing.

Absolute genius, one of the highest IQ players in the league with a hell of a motor, a Swiss Army knife player. It’s hard for people to understand the things he does through the lens of a 2019 hockey fan but in the future people will understand him. He’s ahead of his time and thinks the game on another level, he’s playing 4d chess every time he steps on the ice.

He may not have the shot of Stammer or the hands of Kuch but he was the brains behind the operation. He was making very futuristic plays that go unnoticed to the casual hockey fan but one day when analytics become advanced enough they’ll be able to pin down exactly what it was that made Vladislav Delorean Namestnikov so special.
He’s not where the puck is, he’s where it will be in a decade

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Namestnikov is galaxy brain

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY

On his last shift of the season he actually began a play that won't be finished until he steps on the ice for his first shift this year. 4D chess.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Namestnikov is overpaid about 750k. its not that big of a deal. It isnt like Smith.
if that was the consensus have no doubt he would have been gone. I'm sure JG would have retained 750 to get rid of him.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
if that was the consensus have no doubt he would have been gone. I'm sure JG would have retained 750 to get rid of him.
Nothing is in a vacuum. The league knows we’re trying to get under cap. All of our deals will be giveaways until we can relieve the pressure.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Call me crazy, but I think Namestnikov is going to wind up being a real wild card for this team. Don't get me wrong, I'd jettison him for cap space tomorrow if the opportunity arose, but given his history of excelling with offensively gifted players and the Rangers paper thin depth at center, I can see him seizing the #2C role and doing an adequate job, especially if he winds up with someone like Panarin or Kakko.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Namestnikov is pretty much a 3rd liner. Tampa stuck him with Stamkos and Kucherov to give a line a little bit more of a defensive conscience. It's not unheard of for teams to do that. The main guys were Stamkos and Kucherov though--and because of them Vladdy was just picking up extra garbage points from all the opportunities the other two created. That helped him to score the bigger contract.

He's overpaid--$2.5 would be more like it. Honestly he's comparable to Jesper Fast though Jesper's better defensively--same size, skill level, expect about the same point production. Fast a bit more of a North South player.

I don't see the Rangers giving him another $4 mil deal and if he's not signed at the deadline I expect they'll move him. A 2nd would be great--I'm not sure we'll get it. If somehow the Rangers are in the playoff hunt though they might hang on to him and likely we'll end up losing him next year in free agency for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad