Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXX: Viva Las Vegas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ok I'm prepared to get stewed tomatoes thrown my way. This is just for discussion. Trade idea:

Stepan+21OA to Vegas for Colin Miller, William Karlson, 24th overall (CBJ pick) and Boston's pick in round 5 Vegas has.

Rangers then sign Bonino for 4 years $4 million per.

Centers are Zibe/Hayes/Bonino/Karlson.

Miller can play with McD. Sign Shattenkirk to play with Skjei or Berz.

Raanta to Peg for a 3rd and Dano.

Holden to Washington for Beagle.

Nash to Dallas or Nashville for futures.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ok I'm prepared to get stewed tomatoes thrown my way. This is just for discussion. Trade idea:

Stepan+21OA to Vegas for Colin Miller, William Karlson, 24th overall (CBJ pick) and Boston's pick in round 5 Vegas has.

I won't get into whether this is a good deal or not, but Vegas doesnt have that pick...

They swapped picks with Winnipeg in exchange for taking Thorburn. So winnipeg has the 24th pick and Vegas has their 1st (12?)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Unpopular opinion, but I think Yzerman is an average at best GM.

He started with Stamkos and Hedman... Time has worked against him on some of his early moves(filppula) so he looked super smart early on and as time is moving on and decisions get harder he has lost some of his reputation

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know Gorton tried to get rid of staal without having to give up a number of high picks.
At this point i just wanna see the kids like Buch, Vesey and Skjei get better as well as other like Miller who had a super disappointing playoffs.
Try to get rid of Nash and Raanta to recoup some assets/picks. Getting rid of staal was something houdini would have had to pull off but getting something for nash and raanta should be possible.
Not interested in getting an average return on Stepan.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I don't see a reason to deal Raanta now. I know he only has 1 year left on his deal but if he likes it here and would resign cheap for a couple years I don't see the harm in that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He started with Stamkos and Hedman... Time has worked against him on some of his early moves(filppula) so he looked super smart early on and as time is moving on and decisions get harder he has lost some of his reputation

He's had plenty of considerable misses in his career.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Why would he stay here, sign cheap, and continue to be a backup? He will obviously explore a team that would make him a starter. Thats why Talbot was traded.

very true. Raanta would be crazy not to want to leave New York and go for a big pay day like any other starting goalie would get. Its obvious he is not gonna get that here.
If we can get a second and a third or somehow or a 2018 first you gotta trade him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Isn't Colin Miller supposed to be some Corsi darling? What's his deal? Someone fill me in.

You don't even really know about him yet want the Rangers to trade Stepan for him as the centerpiece coming back?

His fancy stats are great and his skill set is as well, but he lacks hockey sense and will likely top out as a #4.

I like him, but I don't like him that much. I'd flip a 2nd over for him at the most.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If we're stuck with Staal the big change is AV needs to realize that he's not a top 4 D anymore and no longer use him as such. Bury him on the 3rd pair, PK time and play 16 minutes a night. Hopefully he has a good offseason and all the talk of a possible buyout or waiving to go in the expansion draft and talk of his poor performance in the playoffs will be extra motivation for him to have a great off season and maybe bounce back a little bit.

Either way, the important part is AV needs to no longer deploy him in the top 4. He will be fine as a 3rd pair guy, hell, him and Holden will be a fine 3rd pairing, they just need to be used as such. PK minutes, easy even strength matchups and they see the bench late in tight games. Problem is, well, AV is still the coach. Even if he has this tact going into the season, chances are he will fall back on Staal as a top 4 guy later in the season. We'll see.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Painfully awful

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If we're stuck with Staal the big change is AV needs to realize that he's not a top 4 D anymore and no longer use him as such. Bury him on the 3rd pair, PK time and play 16 minutes a night. Hopefully he has a good offseason and all the talk of a possible buyout or waiving to go in the expansion draft and talk of his poor performance in the playoffs will be extra motivation for him to have a great off season and maybe bounce back a little bit.

Either way, the important part is AV needs to no longer deploy him in the top 4. He will be fine as a 3rd pair guy, hell, him and Holden will be a fine 3rd pairing, they just need to be used as such. PK minutes, easy even strength matchups and they see the bench late in tight games. Problem is, well, AV is still the coach. Even if he has this tact going into the season, chances are he will fall back on Staal as a top 4 guy later in the season. We'll see.

well as much as i am happy we got Bereglazov as currently constituted Staal is a top 4 guy on this defense right now as much as it pains me to say it.
I would pair him with holden on the 3rd pair like you said but no coach is gonna play those guys on the third pair with the current defensive roster we have. Right now all we have is skjei and Mcdonagh that are legit top 4 guys.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I remember when Colorado had all those picks in the 1st, and had a really good draft. They got Skoula, Regehr, Tanguay and the fighter with a goat beard that busted. It was in 98', Slats wanted all those picks for Manny.

Anyway, that was considered a great draft by Colorado. If GMGM matches that this year he has done great work. He passed on some good players to get them. The team now don't look good. Although he does have a lot of capspace, so maybe he can still improve things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille