Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXX: Viva Las Vegas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So AV will get to keep his favorite vanilla pet Stepan because Gorts traded away all his picks at the deadline -- two years in a row -- for worthless rentals in Staal and Smith so that we couldn't deal with Vegas? What else is new in Rangerland? Pretty sicking to be honest...

Watch Gorton look to make a splash on the UFA market on July 1.

Who will win a Cup first, the Islanders or Devils or us? Will we get to one cup in 100 years. Way to go Gorton. Sather was a great mentor obviously.

I just want to highlight this post by Drunk Ola. It was actually pretty good, he is a good guy deep inside.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
...and Skjei and McDonagh, both having played RD at times in college...

Exactly. Theodore played on the right side A LOT when he was in Seattle. We really need to get rid of this notion that left-handed D-men can only play the left side. I would be happy to go with 6 left-handed D-men if our pairings look like this:

McDonagh-Theodore
Skjei-Smith
Holden-Bereglazov

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Amazing- I can name one D that for the three last years have played well on the wrong side, Nik Hjalmarsson. I cannot name two. Can you?

McD and Skjei supposedly could play on the wrong side but the results were horrible.

Meanwhile I can name 20 Ds easily that was forced to play on the wrong side with horrible results and very damaged development paths. Saw Jonas Brodin closely in the WCHs, damn have Minny done a number on him. Zero confidence left. Now he is back on the left.

The NHL is the fastest and best league in the NHL. People point at players playing the wrong side in this league or that league -- litterary NOBODY is doing it well in the NHL for a few years straight.

We could easily get like 8 good LDs. Imagine how good it would be for us if we could play with 6 LDs. But it's just a huge handicap to go into the corners being forced to turn the back towards the ice and play the puck with the back hand every single time it's dumped in on you. It's even dangerous. It's a huge disadvantage at the blueline in the attacking zone. It's a huge disadvantage along the boards in the neutral zone. It's a huge disadvantage in your own end when there is a rebound and you don't have your stick there to get to the players crashing the net.

I know there are quotes out there and people saying this and that. But doesn't 1/180 speaks it's clear language? If it was a good idea, shouldn't there be at least 2 of 180? 5 of 180? 18 of 180?

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I remember when Colorado had all those picks in the 1st, and had a really good draft. They got Skoula, Regehr, Tanguay and the fighter with a goat beard that busted. It was in 98', Slats wanted all those picks for Manny.

Anyway, that was considered a great draft by Colorado. If GMGM matches that this year he has done great work. He passed on some good players to get them. The team now don't look good. Although he does have a lot of capspace, so maybe he can still improve things.

Smith was the GM at the time.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Ok I'm prepared to get stewed tomatoes thrown my way. This is just for discussion. Trade idea:

Stepan+21OA to Vegas for Colin Miller, William Karlson, 24th overall (CBJ pick) and Boston's pick in round 5 Vegas has.

Rangers then sign Bonino for 4 years $4 million per.

Centers are Zibe/Hayes/Bonino/Karlson.

Miller can play with McD. Sign Shattenkirk to play with Skjei or Berz.

Raanta to Peg for a 3rd and Dano.

Holden to Washington for Beagle.

Nash to Dallas or Nashville for futures.

The smell from this one still lingers this morning. I don't think there's a deal to be made with Vegas regarding Stepan anymore, but if there was, it would be Stepan for Theodore or Miller, Tuch, the Winnipeg 1st and a later pick. The Rangers should not have to give up their #1 pick in a deal with Stepan.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Can't wait for the tsunami of trades that are coming to wash us away. Vegas will be an even worse team by the end of the day.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Can't wait for the tsunami of trades that are coming to wash us away. Vegas will be an even worse team by the end of the day.

Not sure what they're going to do with all of Garrison, Emelin, Sbisa and Stoner. With their contracts I'd be surprised if they could move any of them. They didn't even get an incentive to take Emelin and Sbisa. I really didn't get those two picks.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Not sure what they're going to do with all of Garrison, Emelin, Sbisa and Stoner. With their contracts I'd be surprised if they could move any of them. They didn't even get an incentive to take Emelin and Sbisa. I really didn't get those two picks.

Yeah, GMGM seems to be a perfect fit for Vegas because he seems hell bent on betting the house on the draft.

There's already reports that 3 or 4 of the best pieces he took are getting flipped.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Amazing- I can name one D that for the three last years have played well on the wrong side, Nik Hjalmarsson. I cannot name two. Can you?

Those 3 I mentioned (Smith, Theodore and Bereglazov) play the right side. It's not their wrong side just because they are left-handed

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just an fyi, the trade freeze is lifted in 25 minutes. Amazed there's nothing on twitter yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->