Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Craig Custance has another interesting feature at The Athletic. He talked to 22 player agents about league issues like which GM is easy to work with and which GM is unreasonable, NHL players in the Olympics, Bettman and Fehr.

Jeff Gorton made the unreasonable GM list. Bob Murray is the worst. The agents gave Custance a few comments.

I like the Gorton comments. He should be tough.

One more question was which teams are more likely to land on the no trade list. Limited no trade list.

Winnipeg is first.

It seems some players include the Rangers on their no trade list.

The NHL Agent Poll: Agents have their say on GMs, Gary...

I love the Gorton comments. I'd be slightly pissed off if he was on the reasonable list. His job is to do the best the Rangers, not win a nice guy award.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm becoming increasingly torn on the Kreider thing. I can easily see them being worse next year without him. And then in a few years have to let go of another core guy like Fox or DeAngelo to afford second contract raises to the prospects they got for Kreider.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm becoming increasingly torn on the Kreider thing. I can easily see them being worse next year without him. And then in a few years have to let go of another core guy like Fox or DeAngelo to afford second contract raises to the prospects they got for Kreider.

Depending on what they do with Kreider, I'm not sure the budget a few years out is as big of a concern as it is maybe next season.

You have a lot of money coming off the books after the 2020-2021 season.

The question is how the Rangers go about navigating the stretch of time between right now and July 1, 2021. That would also give them a good indication as to what Fox's second contract might look like.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Nope. No 3rd pairing defenders as I only looked at forwards. Not so many bottom 6 forwards as I put a TOI filter on the group. In any case if I filter for just the top 93 point scorers at forward - so 1st liners - the results are similar.

Sorry, mis-read that you were referring to forwards. Where are you pulling the stats from? If I am less busy later I want to take a look.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
So better to lose them now to afford Kreider?

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
NY is a funny thing. The Rangers are maybe the 6th most popular team in town. Celebrities walk the street, people can blend in. But the pressure is real because we have seen absolute studs wither here and rebound once they leave. I'm happy those players recognize the issue. If it isn't a good fit, good to know before the deal can even start instead of after we lose the assets.

And a bunch of you need to pump the brakes on the Kreider returns. We may have the best rental but no one feels forced to make a move. The days of paying a premium to add a top line talent are done. Its about complimenting your roster, not overhauling.

1st plus a non-core roster player or decent prospect is a huge get.

I agree.

When push comes to shove, Kreider's unique combination pushes his return into the territory of what you'd typically see for a center (Hayes), but I don't think it pushes the return into the stratosphere.

At best, maybe you're looking at a Rick Nash type return where the Rangers take back a body on a short-term deal to help Boston free up some cash for another move, or they get a guy, with some upside, who might be the odd man out.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Should the Rangers decide to trade Kreider at this deadline and not re-sign him in the off-season. I'd consider waiting until the following off-season to see if a guy like Saad makes it to UFA. I'm thinking he would make less than what Kreider will on a shorter deal and he drives play similarly. He'd be available more towards the opening of the Rangers window as well.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The center vs winger thing is overplayed. A team like Pitsburgh would obviously pay more for a winger as apposed to a team like Montreal. It's a matter of needs. Its 1990's thinking that the center is worth more, it's only worth more if you need one.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Should the Rangers decide to trade Kreider at this deadline and not re-sign him in the off-season. I'd consider waiting until the following off-season to see if a guy like Saad makes it to UFA. I'm thinking he would make less than what Kreider will on a shorter deal and he drives play similarly. He'd be available more towards the opening of the Rangers window as well.

Kreider is gone unless they get Lundqvist to accept a trade.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I don't envy Dubas right now. You fired the coach and you're team is currently not in the playoff picture (if only barely). You have 33.5 million tied up in 3 players. You don't have a 1st this year. You don't have a super great prospect pool and yet if you don't improve your defense and goaltending (which likely means losing more picks/depleting your prospect pool), your team is going nowhere.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I understand not wanting to play in New York. A few years ago when Shea Weber was shopping himself, he said thanks but no thanks to the Rangers. Too big.

New York is not for everyone.
He’d have been better off in NY compared to Montreal. That’s literally like living in a bubble.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Toronto is interesting, they have all these expectations to win and yet they're the third youngest team in the league (Rangers are second)

I'm not sure what Dubas is going to do, but it's going to be a major overhaul in the offseason.

Unfortunately they can't punt this season because they're on the clock now with Matthews. If they could have pushed those Marner and Matthews contracts by a year, I bet you they sell off and hope they get in the top 10 for this draft so they can keep the pick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I love NYC, but I'm the type of person who can take it in small bursts. I'm not sure I could take it for months on end

New York is a place that by it's very nature is going to give someone a fairly strong opinion; it's difficult to remain neutral.

Ironically enough, when talking to most players, it's typically not the "size" or "busyness" of the city that causes hesitation. In many cases it's the cost of living, and the housing arrangements. If you've always grown up in a house, the concept of being in a condo/apartment 50 stories into the sky can be a like landing on another planet. Then you factor in what you're paying for said domicile and it's not for everyone.

But, I would say that most players have an interest in playing in NYC. And ultimately, most is what you're shooting for in pro sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYR Viper

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Toronto is interesting, they have all these expectations to win and yet they're the third youngest team in the league (Rangers are second)

I'm not sure what Dubas is going to do, but it's going to be a major overhaul in the offseason.

Unfortunately they can't punt this season because they're on the clock now with Matthews. If they could have pushed those Marner and Matthews contracts by a year, I bet you they sell off and hope they get in the top 10 for this draft so they can keep the pick

Toronto is on the verge of falling into the trap where they've fallen in love with all their high-skill, home-grown forwards. The problem is that's left the rest of their roster underwhelming, including their "mix" of forwards.

If I'm Dubas, I'm eyeing deals where I don't get a player of equal value back for someone like Nylander, but I get two or three important pieces, or put myself in a position to get those guys. Doing so with the end goal of elevating the overall level of my team.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Toronto is on the verge of falling into the trap where they've fallen in love with all their high-skill, home-grown forwards. The problem is that's left the rest of their roster underwhelming, including their "mix" of forwards.

If I'm Dubas, I'm eyeing deals where I don't get a player of equal value back for someone like Nylander, but I get two or three important pieces, or put myself in a position to get those guys. Doing so with the end goal of elevating the overall level of my team.
They are very top heavy, but I suppose that's what happens when you commit 40 million dollars to 4 forwards. Just typing that out is exactly kinda insane Almost half the cap on 4 guys

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Depending on what they do with Kreider, I'm not sure the budget a few years out is as big of a concern as it is maybe next season.

You have a lot of money coming off the books after the 2020-2021 season.

The question is how the Rangers go about navigating the stretch of time between right now and July 1, 2021. That would also give them a good indication as to what Fox's second contract might look like.

So, here’s a thought. Essentially, I’d love to give DeAngelo Skjei’s deal and simply move on from Skjei. And moving on from Strome and Buchnevich keeps Kreider and allows Kravtsov to be the replacement for Buchnevich. Essentially, if Chytil replaces Strome, you need an ELC to replace Chytil on the 3rd line. It will take some juggling, but, it can be done.

Who replaces Skjei? Well, right now, I think Lindgren is securing a spot, and possibly next to Trouba. Here’s how I see the other two D spots - one spot is going to be Staal finishing out his contract. You could actually split that spot between Staal and Smith, and wipe the final year of each contract. The other spot should be the winner of a competition between Hajek, Rykov and Reunanen. Is it ideal? No, and, until the right high end LD emerges or is acquired, it will be an issue. But, to me, the puzzle is still not going to be complete going into next year.

But, by the time the trade deadline rolls around, there’s likely enough cap space to trade for that piece if that’s what’s needed for a playoff run.

As for DeAngelo, is it possible that the Rangers and DeAngelo could agree to another one-year deal, with the structure in place for an agreed upon long-term deal announced officially January 2021, which won’t hit the cap until July 2021.

The, in July 2021, you have Staal, Smith, Henke and Girardi off the books with an additional $20 million in cap space freed up, which can be allotted to DeAngelo and Kreider contracts, as well as 2nd deals for the players we’ve already discussed.

Just spitballing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They are very top heavy, but I suppose that's what happens when you commit 40 million dollars to 4 forwards. Just typing that out is exactly kinda insane Almost half the cap on 4 guys

Now, having said all of this (and I 100 percent agree with you), I also think they're in a good position to acquire some very helpful assets.

Whenever you have high-end talent that pans out, you've got some capital to work with. It's much easier to turn William Nylander into a helpful return than it is to try and get immediate help from trading Pool-party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad