Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20 Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
San Jose has a 2nd in June. That will be a high 2nd. Wilson will be active at the deadline. He gets a 2nd round for Dillon. Maybe a 2nd for Melker Karlsson. He has flexibility to move his 2nd to the Rangers. That team is no position to rebuild with their contracts. Georgiev is better Martin Jones.

If there is a Kreider tax with Pittsburgh, there should be a Georgiev tax with Carolina.

Carolina has two #1 picks in June. The Leafs pick and their pick. One or both of those teams should make the playoffs. Both teams have 61 points. The Leafs are too good to miss the playoffs. They have their flaws. They are better than Columbus and Philly. Carolina will make it. The Rangers get the worst #1 pick of the two picks. The Leafs pick is top 10 protected this year. If both teams miss, the Rangers get the worst #1 in 2021. Georgiev can be the guy in Carolina for 5-6-7 years. They play in the Rangers division. Carolina has revolving door in goal. One journeyman after another. Georgiev can stabilize the position for them.

All things being equal, I think they would take San Jose's second over Carolina's --- for all of the reasons you just outlined.

What I don't know is whether San Jose who wants to trade their second, in light of the fact that they don't have their first. They's missing the playoffs and could have the 5th or 6th worst record in the league. Can you imagine going through and then not picking until the 67th pick/third round?

Granted they could trade their way back into the first, but I wouldn't be shocked if they prefer to offer a 2021 pick instead.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If you are going to torture yourself with trade trees and what ifs, at least flesh it all the way out and realize Georgiev was free. Undrafted free agent. Look at the bright side and call it Fox for 1 second round pick.

I'm looking at it more like Georgiev 2x 2nds for Fox and another prospect/nhl player.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I think it cuts both ways a little.

He didn't have the offensive help, but he also didn't have the defensive expectations either. As a result, Phoenix just kept throwing him out there and gave him a very long leash.

Maybe not when Gretzky was coaching him, but Dave Tippett certainly demands commitment to defense. Both he and Malonely praised Yandle's first few seasons under Tippett for how he grew into a dependable two-way defensmen who could be trusted to hold a lead and play within the structure of the team.

He also had a reputation for playing with a chip on his shoulder, and has always been a very creative, dynamic player especially from the blueline in.

Stylistically they're very different, but impact-wise I think you're really underrating Yandle. As someone who watched him a lot in Arizona bc I was on the West-Coast at the time, I don't think calling TDA's impact similar to Yandle's in anything but high praise. Dude was the best player on that team by a mile, for years.

Reactions: egelband

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The DeAngelo trade proposals are dumb.

I have yet to see a good reason to move him other than "hey, he may bring back a really, really good young forward."

That forward better be a ****ing G like Necas who is still on an ELC. If not, F that. I'll extend him and move out other more expendable pieces and get creative to drop the dead weight.

I've said I'm open to moving DeAngelo but that's exactly what I'd expect back. Basically a future top line forward who is similar in age and potential.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think it cuts both ways a little.

He didn't have the offensive help, but he also didn't have the defensive expectations either. As a result, Phoenix just kept throwing him out there and gave him a very long leash.

The result produced offensive numbers that are comparable to what ADA did if we look at his second of last year and first half of this year. If we just look at this year, they're slightly below what ADA's done.

But, in that same age (24), Yandle was also getting more than 4 mins more per night, or roughly 20 percent more ice time. When you combine the point differential thus far, including goals, and you factor in 20 percent less ice time, at worst ADA is on-par with him. Personally, I'd argue he's far more dangerous than Yandle was at the same point. To me, Yandle was the player you counted on to get the puck to the guy who wins the game for you. ADA is the player who can either get the puck to the guy who wins it for you, or just says "**** it" and does it himself.

And that leads me to the non-offensive attributes of ADA. I like the edge he plays with, the passion, and his ability to set a tone for a game. I never really saw Yandle as a great tone setter. He's a guy who does well if the game is going well, and he contributes to why it does well. But I never saw him as a guy who can turn a game around. I see that with ADA. I think he's driven to be a game disrupter --- and that's someone you win with.

Yandle did, and to some extent continues to do his best work on "good" teams, but not necessarily great teams. To me, ADA has a chance to do his best work on great teams --- not unlike a Dan Boyle. Boyle was a guy who could give you something, even if he was held off the official score sheet. Yandle, eh, I always thought that was iffy.

And so ultimately that's what it comes down to for me. I think ADA has a chance to be Dan Boyle, and I take a prime Dan Boyle over a prime Keith Yandle without too much consternation.
He really did have the defensive expectations. Tippett was the coach. He runs a very tight ship.

Yandle defended fairly well in Arizona. His biggest shortcoming was that he would rush his passes and make way too many turnovers. Tippet got him to play more conservatively. He drew a lot of tough matchups because there was no one else to throw out there.

I saw Yandle at his very best in Arizona and it kills me to think how his time in New York was squandered.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
He really did have the defensive expectations. Tippett was the coach. He runs a very tight ship.

Yandle defended fairly well in Arizona. His biggest shortcoming was that he would rush his passes and make way too many turnovers. Tippet got him to play more conservatively. He drew a lot of tough matchups because there was no one else to throw out there.

I saw Yandle at his very best in Arizona and it kills me to think how his time in New York was squandered.

Yeah, Yandle really doesn't get enough credit, and you really can't expect different given how he was used here and that there may not be a team in the league with less coverage and attention than the Yotes of 2008-14 (save for their ownership dilemmas).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'll just leave it as my memories of Yandle defensively in that era are not nearly as favorable as yours.

But even taking that aside, it still doesn't impact the other aspects when comparing him to ADA.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
In my head, I've always had the expectation you're looking at a second round pick if he goes solo, or a more intriguing return if he goes in a package. For the latter, I've said a few times that I could envision him being packaged with Strome in a similar manner to Stepan/Raanta.
The only goalie I'd trade for picks is Hank. Geo needs to bring a roster player.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
All things being equal, I think they would take San Jose's second over Carolina's --- for all of the reasons you just outlined.

What I don't know is whether San Jose who wants to trade their second, in light of the fact that they don't have their first. They's missing the playoffs and could have the 5th or 6th worst record in the league. Can you imagine going through and then not picking until the 67th pick/third round?

Granted they could trade their way back into the first, but I wouldn't be shocked if they prefer to offer a 2021 pick instead.

I'll take their 2021 first then. :)

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Defensively, like in their own zone pressured or facing an oncoming rush?

Yandle
DeAngelo

Tie between Dan Boyle, Del Zotto, and Shattenkirk

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
How much is that due to the increase in scoring though?
Like Bob mentioned, we didn’t have a Zbad or Panarin on that roster. Our leading scorer was Zucc with 61 points. The 2015 team had more depth, less prospects, better goaltending and better defensive structure. But they weren’t more explosive offensively.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

If they went all in and offered 2021 1st, unprotected, for Georgiev and Kredier I'd be all over that with no hesitation. Any Conditions upon resign, Cup, etc in our favor as a plus would be icing.

SJ should be worse than us next year. We could make a solid playoff effort and sit on San Jose's failure best case senario.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

San Jose just having the worst season

They were not good before losing Cotoure and now losing Hertl?

I thought that Ottawa could end up with a top 5 and top 10 pick. At this rate, they'll end up with two top 5 picks.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad