Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20 Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
IMO you re-sign DeAngelo. If he wants $8-$9M- then you move him, but if this is a player that costs ~$6M... that's a long term investment you make.

IMO the compromise, for both the player and the team is a 3 year deal around $5.5M-$6M. Keeps him motivated and going, and he has a chance to cash out as a UFA.

Honestly, I have absolutely no interest in walking ADA to UFA. 6 year deal, find a number that works.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Don't know if I like the odds that Fox can replace ADA.

Don't know if like the odds of a trio of Trouba, Fox and Lundkvist/Keane being better than a trio of Trouba, Fox and ADA.

Don't know if I like the odds of trading ADA for a LW being the better move than waiting patiently and packaging Lundkvist, picks and prospects for a player in a similar tier.
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush....courtesy of old English proverb
!

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't know, but I do know that the difference you're talking about is not as close as you make it sound.

Fox is on pace for 10 goals and 46 points. ADA is on pace for 21 goals and 63 points.

That's double the amount of goals, and 37 percent more points --- because as your prorate out, the gap only increases. So a 10 point difference now is not necessarily a 10 point difference 30 games from now.

Additionally, I have ALWAYS been leery of assuming that numbers can only go up. I'm leery of that when facing a players sophomore season (as next year will be for Fox), and I'm leery of that as a constant and not a variable.

Yes, there are some players whose numbers go up. There are some players whose numbers go down. And there are quite a few players who come in with good numbers right off the bat, and more or less maintain those numbers for the next 10 years.

So yes, Fox could produce more. He could also produce less, especially next season. And he could quite possibly produce at roughly a 45-50 point, steady pace for the next decade. So in two of those scenarios, I'm getting less production than I am from ADA right now. And less production than I got from ADA to end last season.

So again, no, I don't like those odds.

And I still don't have a burning desire to make that decision now --- which is a key component for me.

Sure, we might have to make that decision someday, but that day doesn't need to be today. And that's why I don't see any point in going down that path.

Everything you say about Fox could happen with DeAngelo too, as this is the first and only year he has been on this pace and to be fair he could drop off this year, I doubt it but everyone this time last year was proclaiming Hayes as an 70 point player, much the same as people are calling DeAngelo a 60 point guy yet he has never done it before. A lot of DeAngelo's points are coming from pp1 compared to Fox. Swap the players and their point totals change.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Listening to 31T - Elliot says that he was told by multiple players that "Kreider doesn't want to be traded", wonder if one of those players was CK himself.

Reiterates what he says in his column that if the rangers came in at 5 years/6.5-7 that "those players really wonder what he'd do,. He really likes being a Ranger".

Mentions the Blues as a team that would be interested in him.
The beauty of him being a rental is that he can still re-sign with the Rangers in the summer if he wanted. Best of both worlds.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Everything you say about Fox could happen with DeAngelo too, as this is the first and only year he has been on this pace and to be fair he could drop off this year, I doubt it but everyone this time last year was proclaiming Hayes as an 70 point player, much the same as people are calling DeAngelo a 60 point guy yet he has never done it before.

It could, but the difference is he's actually doing it, as oppossed to us hoping he can do it.

Forget even projecting out the rest of this season, over the last 82 games, ADA has been a 55-60 point defenseman depending on when the snapshot was taken.

So you're comparing what someone could potentially do, vs. what someone has actually already done.

As for Hayes, I can't argue that topic because I certainly was never proclaiming him as a 70 point center. So that's someone else's argument to defend.

Reactions: leetch99

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The beauty of him being a rental is that he can still re-sign with the Rangers in the summer if he wanted. Best of both worlds.
If he doesn't want to be traded, he'll likely tell the team at some point that he'll take X reasonable deal. If they say no and trade him anyway, I highly doubt he'll want to come back.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It seems no one knows anything about what's going to happen with Kreider

Which seems par for the course with Gorton

@Edge based on the information you have, assuming Tony isn't traded this summer, what type of contract will he get? Do you think long term or bridge ?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If he doesn't want to be traded, he'll likely tell the team at some point that he'll take X reasonable deal. If they say no and trade him anyway, I highly doubt he'll want to come back.
oh well, guess he really didn't want to be a Ranger that badly then.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It could, but the difference is he's actually doing it, as oppossed to us hoping he can do it.

Forget even projecting out the rest of this season, over the last 82 games, ADA has been a 55-60 point defenseman depending on when the snapshot was taken.

So you're comparing what someone could potentially do, vs. what someone has actually already done.

As for Hayes, I can't argue that topic because I certainly was never proclaiming him as a 70 point center. So that's someone else's argument to defend.

Tony was a healthy scratch for a lot of the year last year, Fox hasnt had any of those issues in his career. I'm not comfortable giving ada a long term deal big money deal

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It seems no one knows anything about what's going to happen with Kreider

Which seems par for the course with Gorton

@Edge based on the information you have, assuming Tony isn't traded this summer, what type of contract will he get? Do you think long term or bridge ?

I think he'll ask for 3 years and $19.5 million. I think the Rangers will counter with 4 years and $20 million. I think they'll settle on four years and $24 million.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I dont see any way they are keeping Kreider. His comparable says he will be looking for a Hayes deal. We wont even be close to that.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think he'll ask for 3 years and $19.5 million. I think the Rangers will counter with 4 years and $20 million. I think they'll settle on four years and $24 million.
So 4x6

That would take him right into UFA though right? Or would the team not really mind that

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Tony was a healthy scratch for a lot of the year last year, Fox hasnt had any of those issues in his career. I'm not comfortable giving ada a long term deal big money deal

Yeah, and since that time, Tony has played an entire season's worth of games at a roughly 60 point pace. If he continues that path, he will have played around 120 games at a 60 point pace.

Which means he will have played 40 more games at a 60 point pace than Fox has played at a 46 point pace.

Reactions: leetch99

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah, and since that time, Tony has played an entire season's worth of games at a roughly 60 point pace. If he continues that path, he will have played around 120 games at a 60 point pace.

Which means he will have played 40 more games at a 60 point pace than Fox has played at a 46 point pace.

Fox is already better than tony as a complete player. He hasnt even played 50 games in the NHL yet.

Reactions: belford22

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think Fox plays a more well-rounded game, yes.

I don't think he quite has ADA's offensive chops or ceiling.

I also don't think it is, or should be an ADA vs. Fox debate. I prefer ADA and Fox, not ADA or Fox.

Yes..but you also need forwards to play hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad