Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I haven't watched pre season, but has he been that bad?

He's had a couple decent shifts on the PP where he flashed his skill. Other than that, he's been completely invisible, no intensity, drifting around on the perimeter, and looking not great defensively either. Biggest disappointment of the preseason, aside from maybe Corrado.

Biega absolutely should be on the roster, perhaps starting ahead of Weber. This guy has worked his ass off, done all the little things, and looked great in a depth role when we did bring him up for a bit. For all the touting of character and hard work management spews, Biega is someone who epitomizes it. Sadly, it seems both he and Hutton have played Corrado right back down to Utica.

Yup.

This guy just bleeds character and leadership. And mentoring - you could see him talking to Hutton about positioning after nearly every whistle last night and directing where he wanted him on the ice.

And he's been our best defender aside from maybe Tanev. The game he played last night would have been a good effort from a prime Dan Boyle. Best player on the ice.

If this team is even half serious about guys making the team on merit, Biega has to be there. And same with Hutton.

Corrado will clear waivers and even if he doesn't is no great loss.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
He's had a couple decent shifts on the PP where he flashed his skill. Other than that, he's been completely invisible, no intensity, drifting around on the perimeter, and looking not great defensively either. Biggest disappointment of the preseason, aside from maybe Corrado.

Yup.

This guy just bleeds character and leadership. And mentoring - you could see him talking to Hutton about positioning after nearly every whistle last night and directing where he wanted him on the ice.

And he's been our best defender aside from maybe Tanev. The game he played last night would have been a good effort from a prime Dan Boyle. Best player on the ice.

If this team is even half serious about guys making the team on merit, Biega has to be there. And same with Hutton.

Its really amazing that#60-Hutton looks better then majority of our veteran defense.Man with Benning,we are in trouble.I would not trust him with running a marble shop.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Yup.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Biega
Corrado

I can live with that group.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Biega
Corrado

I can live with that group.

I like it, though Bartkowski has supposedly looked good. So I would slot him in over Weber. If nothing else, I want to see Hutton, Biega and Corrado get their nine games and see what they make of it. And should they outplay any of the reminding three, then those three should be scratched. I don't mind Sbisa being given another chance to impress, but Willie needs to have a firm hand on that leash. There will no excuses for allowing him to log the minutes he did last season if he shows no improvement.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I like it, though Bartkowski has supposedly looked good. So I would slot him in over Weber. If nothing else, I want to see Hutton, Biega and Corrado get their nine games and see what they make of it. And should they outplay any of the reminding three, then those three should be scratched. I don't mind Sbisa being given another chance to impress, but Willie needs to have a firm hand on that leash. There will no excuses for allowing him to log the minutes he did last season if he shows no improvement.

Why nine games? They aren't junior level players so the nine game threshold means nothing.

Bartkowski is meh. I like him a bit better than Sbisa, but I find him to be fairly useless.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Why nine games? They aren't junior level players so the nine game threshold means nothing.

Bartkowski is meh. I like him a bit better than Sbisa, but I find him to be fairly useless.

My bad. For some reason I confused the nine game threshold. :laugh:

To be fair, so is Weber. Frankly, I think the best way to handle it would be having no guaranteed spots after Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis. Waive/Bench whoever else gets routinely outplayed, though we unfortunately risk losing Corrado should that happen.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Biega absolutely should be on the roster, perhaps starting ahead of Weber. This guy has worked his ass off, done all the little things, and looked great in a depth role when we did bring him up for a bit. For all the touting of character and hard work management spews, Biega is someone who epitomizes it. Sadly, it seems both he and Hutton have played Corrado right back down to Utica.

As well as Biega has played there's no way he out seats Weber. He's solidified himself in the top 4 until his play otherwise dictates. The best he can hope for is the 7th spot at this point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have no idea how anyone could want Corrado on the roster after how useless and over-his-head he's looked this preseason.

I know he's young and everyone wants MORE YOUNG PLAYERS!!! but we want good young players that can contribute, not failing prospects who need to rebuild their game in the minors.

Corrado is in the same place as Jensen right now. If Jensen had to clear waivers, would anyone be advocating keeping him up here? Of course not. He's not good enough and doesn't belong. Neither does Corrado.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
My bad. For some reason I confused the nine game threshold. :laugh:

To be fair, so is Weber. Frankly, I think the best way to handle it would be having no guaranteed spots after Edler, Tanev and Hamhuis. Waive/Bench whoever else gets routinely outplayed, though we unfortunately risk losing Corrado should that happen.

Yeah I agree with this. In theory, only those three should have been guaranteed jobs. Sadly we all know Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber were guaranteed jobs as well because of Benning's white board.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Biega
Corrado-Weber

would be solid too.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I have no idea how anyone could want Corrado on the roster after how useless and over-his-head he's looked this preseason.

I know he's young and everyone wants MORE YOUNG PLAYERS!!! but we want good young players that can contribute, not failing prospects who need to rebuild their game in the minors.

Corrado is in the same place as Jensen right now. If Jensen had to clear waivers, would anyone be advocating keeping him up here? Of course not. He's not good enough and doesn't belong. Neither does Corrado.

Corrado started off looking great in his first stint here. In his second he looked decent. Now he looks bad. He's trending in the wrong direction after being sent to the AHL every time.

Perhaps Corrado's a lost cause, but hopefully this can be used as a lesson against automatically sending players down despite them earning their jobs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Corrado started off looking great in his first stint here. In his second he looked decent. Now he looks bad. He's trending in the wrong direction after being sent to the AHL every time.

Perhaps Corrado's a lost cause, but hopefully this can be used as a lesson against automatically sending players down despite them earning their jobs.

Yup. Corrado earned a job here in 2013 but we decided to keep Alberts (after a horrible preseason) and Weber because they had one-way deals and claimed Stanton.

Will always wonder how he would have developed differently if he was given the job he'd earned at the time.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yup. Corrado earned a job here in 2013 but we decided to keep Alberts (after a horrible preseason) and Weber because they had one-way deals and claimed Stanton.

Will always wonder how he would have developed differently if he was given the job he'd earned at the time.

I fear what will happen when we send Hutton down so that we can keep Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber up here. Biega should be pissed too if he gets sent down based on what I've read.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Corrado will clear waivers easily. Definitely worth the small risk to expose him to waivers. Him making the team because of his waiver status would send completely the wrong message.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Corrado will clear waivers easily. Definitely worth the small risk to expose him to waivers. Him making the team because of his waiver status would send completely the wrong message.

There are about 300 players waived every year on the eve of the season.

Last year, there were 4 players claimed.

3 were veteran depth players (Prosser, Skille, Cracknell) and one (Panik) was a young player with a full season of NHL experience caught in a numbers game in TB.

Exactly 0 non-established young players were claimed last year. Guys like Corrado don't get claimed.

There's this 'waiver paranoia' here where people just HUGELY overestimate the odds of a player getting claimed. Corrado would almost surely clear.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah I agree with this. In theory, only those three should have been guaranteed jobs. Sadly we all know Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber were guaranteed jobs as well because of Benning's white board.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Biega
Corrado-Weber

would be solid too.
Switch Bartkowski and Weber and that seems about right. I don't like Weber on the 2nd pairing but I like the idea of pushing Bartkowski to wrong side + 2nd line less. That spot really should have been addressed by now

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Bloody McCann... He wasn't scheduled in the Succession Plan to do this at training camp until next season. Why is he ****ing things up, and making things unnecessarily difficult. Vey was scheduled in the Succession Plan to do what McCann is doing, this training camp. By outshining Vey, he's making Vey look worse. The brighter McCann gets, the darker the shine on Vey (relative brightness). Look McCann, Vey got his raise. Richardson wasn't re-signed. Vey has been mentioned during the offseason as one of the centers for this team. You're not going to replace him. It just screws too much up in the planning, if McCann takes Vey's spot... and then, say if McCann fails after the 9 games, and say if Vey is lost on waivers?

Oh well, no harm, no foul. The Succession Plan states that McCann can still be rationalized to be sent down after training camp, because of his size, and for further development. To make the shine on Benning and Vey look brighter (by elimination the brighter shine), the correct course of action is to get McCann out of here ASAP.

During or soon after the elaborate ceremony known as the Canucks' Training Camp concludes, McCann back to juniors... Vey, 4th line center, 2nd unit powerplay... Also, Virtanen makes the team (NHL size, being the justification, why Virtanen is up and McCann is down). Baertschi, 2nd line next to Vrbata. It's been written both in the Succession Plan, and in the twinkle of Benning's eyes. Hutton never had a chance... Neither did Biega. Neither did McCann. What stops me from saying bank on this, is that (1) McCann makes Benning look good with the Kesler deal, and McCann is a Benning-loved pick - granted, McCann tearing up juniors would do the same (to a lesser degree, but still)... and (2) who can reasonably say with any degree of certainty what the hell Benning will do. He chews charcoal pencils, licks the canvas, signs it, and hangs it at Rogers Arena as art.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I actually think Vey on the wing is basically experimenting with how he does if he's thrown in the lineup as a 13th or 14th forward. Winger goes down, they want to see if he can step in.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

To be fair, if he had much promise, he would have shown something by now. It's a bit of a reach to speculate being sent back to the minors after a brief stint completely derailed his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad