Confirmed with Link: Ross Colton Traded To Avs for #37 OA Pick In 2023 Draft, signs 4-year x $4M deal

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think there's some similarity between Newhook and Colton. Both of their new teams are expecting more out of them than they have previously shown (Colton doing it at center instead of wing, Newhook scoring 20+, etc).

I have nothing against Newhook. I think he could/would have been an OK guy for the Avs at 2nd line wing this upcoming season.

But they needed a center. Two centers, actually. (Maybe even three, depending on your belief in Ben Meyers).
Yeah but look at the assets moving around. I tend to agree though overall. I don’t think Neehook is going to do much more than he did on the Avs. If you can’t make it work with Rants, Mack, Makar, ERod, Byram etc I’m not sure what will help him improve his effectiveness.

Colton is more proven and was truly buried on that roster by talent. Newhook could’ve really passed anyone other than Mack, Landy, Nuke and Rants and he didn’t get there.

I also trust the Avs pro scouting far more than amateur

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not surprised. The media always overhype the new comer. There's like a new article every day. They could make a story about him changing his cereal brand and the impact it would have in his game and their fans would actually believe that.

Here's what I saw yesterday to pump him up :

Sports media is just downright lazy sometimes. They know what fans want to hear, so they just give it to them.

I was just checking Montreal's Cap Friendly page. They have those short clips on each team's page and had a quick interview byte from Newhook. Whoever the reporter was said that he likes to attack off the rush, but didn't think he got a chance to do that in Colorado, and asked if Montreal might be a better stylistic fit for him in that area.

What a massively uninformed question designed to get an easy sound byte. Avs are the preeminent rush team in the entire league. They started this trend that other teams have copied of a speedy transition game and focusing on zone entires/exits. That's why they drafted Newhook in the first place.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'm probably a dick for thinking this, but I kinda just wish someone would skate up to him and knock him the F out for his hubris. Not really a teammate I would ever want to stick up for after watching that.

You know there's at least a couple of his teammates in that skirmish that don't like fighting either, but got jumped and had to defend themselves while he's screwing around.

He just skated to a safe area to make fun of everyone else who got caught up in it, and left his teammates outnumbered. All you gotta do is find someone else who clearly doesn't want to fight either and hug him. You don't gotta fight, but don't just leave your teammates outnumbered.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I'm probably a dick for thinking this, but I kinda just wish someone would skate up to him and knock him the F out for his hubris. Not really a teammate I would ever want to stick up for after watching that.

You know there's at least a couple of his teammates in that skirmish that don't like fighting either, but got jumped and had to defend themselves while he's screwing around.

He just skated to a safe area to make fun of everyone else who got caught up in it, and left his teammates outnumbered. All you gotta do is find someone else who clearly doesn't want to fight either and hug him. You don't gotta fight, but don't just leave your teammates outnumbered.
If he needs to be knocked out for that the whole coaching staff of both teams should be ahead of him in line for knockouts.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah but look at the assets moving around. I tend to agree though overall. I don’t think Neehook is going to do much more than he did on the Avs. If you can’t make it work with Rants, Mack, Makar, ERod, Byram etc I’m not sure what will help him improve his effectiveness.

Colton is more proven and was truly buried on that roster by talent. Newhook could’ve really passed anyone other than Mack, Landy, Nuke and Rants and he didn’t get there.

I also trust the Avs pro scouting far more than amateur
I actually think Newhook's scoring numbers will rise (given decent health/injury), as he will get more scoring line and power play minutes with Montreal.

Looking forward to see Colton play. Wish the Avs could figure out a way to draft a few guys like this in later rounds.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I actually think Newhook's scoring numbers will rise (given decent health/injury), as he will get more scoring line and power play minutes with Montreal.

Looking forward to see Colton play. Wish the Avs could figure out a way to draft a few guys like this in later rounds.
Shit I wish the Avs could draft a Colton in the first round.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I'm not sure simply promoting Klippenstein was the correct call to fix this either. I really wish the Avs would bring in some outside voices/perspectives, especially when hiring in a department that is struggling. Keeping it incestuous isn't going to give you any new ideas or perspective.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure simply promoting Klippenstein was the correct call to fix this either. I really wish the Avs would bring in some outside voices/perspectives, especially when hiring in a department that is struggling. Keeping it incestuous isn't going to give you any new ideas or perspective.
To be fair, Klip was brought in during the 2016 offseason. Not including Klip, the Avs have 6 NA amatuer scouts. Funk joined the Avs at the same time as Klip 2016 as was Wingert. Porter was 2021. Halpenny was 2021. Mesonero was 2014. Shea is the only guy pre 2014 (2006). On the Euro side, Lehto runs the show and has been around forever. Eriksson, Ozo, and Plekhanov are all within the last 2 years. Gradin and Goose were 2018. Zalesak in 2016. There has been a massive amount of turnover in the amatuer (including Euros as they do both) scouting team over the last 5 years. Only 3 guys remain from prior to 2018.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm pretty sure that's what they did when they brought in Klip though. He was with Brandon of the WHL when he was hired in 2016.

The Avs atrocious drafting outside (and sometimes inside) the 1st round happened under the watch of Alan Hepple as Director of Amateur Scouting (2015 to 2021). Personally, I believe that Avs management started relying on Klip and his opinion for players like Makar and Byram and started trusting him more which led to Hepple's release.

I believe it's still too early to suggest that the Avs drafting has or hasn't improved under his watch up to this point.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Mea culpa. I didn't realize Klip wasn't brought in until '16, I thought he'd around here a lot longer.
I do believe that Sakic and Klip go way back though - like training camp in the early 90's...

Wade Klippenstein​

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born May 9 1970 -- Boissevain, MAN
[53 yrs. ago]
Height 6.03 -- Weight 219 [191 cm/99 kg]
Drafted by Quebec Nordiques
- round 12 #232 overall
1990 NHL Entry Draft

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad