Confirmed with Link: Ross Colton Traded To Avs for #37 OA Pick In 2023 Draft, signs 4-year x $4M deal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some people saying the Avs ridiculously overpaid for a 4th liner lol.
Personally I don't care that much that he doesn't have the offensive stats to make 4M AAV, what bothers me is he doesn't have the stats offensively AND isn't good defensively.

If he were a PK center responsible defensively on top of being an energy guy it would be a good deal.

Right now he's "only" an energy guy with bottom 6 stats who's below average defensively. That's why I'm on the fence.

Reactions: The Moops

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The main board thread on this signing will be fun to revisit when it's January and Newhook has 16 points. I've said it before, but what an odd bunch Montreal fans are.
Odd is being very kind. Them constantly trying to shove Price down our throats for 3 years was annoying as hell.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Personally I don't care that much that he doesn't have the offensive stats to make 4M AAV, what bothers me is he doesn't have the stats offensively AND isn't good defensively.

If he were a PK center responsible defensively on top of being an energy guy it would be a good deal.

Right now he's "only" an energy guy with bottom 6 stats who's below average defensively. That's why I'm on the fence.

I think he’s fine defensively.

Also, tilting the ice in bottom six matchups and playing in the offensive zone > than being good defensively.

I wouldn’t underrate the energy part, tbh. It’s about winning battles and putting pressure on the opposition.

He’s also replacing Alex Newhook, who wasn’t good defensively in his own right.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

It’s the JT contract from a few years ago. His numbers and analytics are better than JT’s were. And he’ll probably be getting an expanded role here if I had to guess with special teams and stuff. I mean theres some risk I guess but no more than a normal contract in this situation.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

I think he'll flourish with the expanded role he's going to get here. He was matching Comphe's pace (before he was our 2C) with less minutes. All new 3C contracts will be getting that or more in 2 years with the cap increase. We're really only paying too much the first year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Definitely possible. I do think he or Meyers will be given the spot and the other will start in the AHL.

I really hope this is what we look like for opening night:

Drouin - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - RyJo - Mikko
Wood - Colton - ????
Cogs - Pavel/Meyers - LOC
Olofsson

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Byram
Hunt

With the ??? personally I want Tatar, but Suter would be fine as well(He could be the Center on that line then with Colton on the wing) or perhaps Toews. Don't have enough space to get Tarasenko and I dont think we make a trade for anyone either.

I like the idea of Toews a lot actually. In a 3rd line role and on a line that matches up, he'd be a good playmaker for those two. Probably too expensive though if he's actually planning to play.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I like the idea of Toews a lot actually. In a 3rd line role and on a line that matches up, he'd be a good playmaker for those two. Probably too expensive though if he's actually planning to play.
You know the answer.

Dude is sitting at home by the BBQ grilling hot-dogs, just waiting for that phone call.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
The main board thread on this signing will be fun to revisit when it's January and Newhook has 16 points. I've said it before, but what an odd bunch Montreal fans are.
I'm not surprised. The media always overhype the new comer. There's like a new article every day. They could make a story about him changing his cereal brand and the impact it would have in his game and their fans would actually believe that.

Here's what I saw yesterday to pump him up :

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I'm not surprised. The media always overvalue the new comer. There's like a new article every day. They could make a story about him changing his cereal brand and the impact it would have in his game and their fans would actually believe that.

Did he almost cut someone with his skate blade?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm not surprised. The media always overhype the new comer. There's like a new article every day. They could make a story about him changing his cereal brand and the impact it would have in his game and their fans would actually believe that.

I think there's some similarity between Newhook and Colton. Both of their new teams are expecting more out of them than they have previously shown (Colton doing it at center instead of wing, Newhook scoring 20+, etc).

I have nothing against Newhook. I think he could/would have been an OK guy for the Avs at 2nd line wing this upcoming season.

But they needed a center. Two centers, actually. (Maybe even three, depending on your belief in Ben Meyers).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There’s way to much obsession with position. They need good players regardless of position. Bednar plays a 5 man unit and what’s put out on social media is rarely how the players are actually utilized. Unless they pull an ERod rabbit out of the hat for 2M Colton is probably the guy in the top 6 if Drouin doesn’t work out. At that point do you care that he’s a wing if he can competently hold up there, no.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I think there's some similarity between Newhook and Colton. Both of their new teams are expecting more out of them than they have previously shown (Colton doing it at center instead of wing, Newhook scoring 20+, etc).

I have nothing against Newhook. I think he could/would have been an OK guy for the Avs at 2nd line wing this upcoming season.

But they needed a center. Two centers, actually. (Maybe even three, depending on your belief in Ben Meyers).
I think most Avs fans have a more tempered expectation of Colton than Habs fans have for Newhook. I'm expecting a solid guy that scores 30-some points and provides energy and grit. Not too much to expect because that is what Colton is as a player.

I've seen Habs fans think that Newhook is going to immediately be a 60-point player because he gets more minutes in Montreal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The contract is roughly as expected, maybe a touch more... nothing to squabble over. Avs did what they could to keep it around 4 and it just meant the term was less than they initially wanted.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad