Confirmed with Link: Ross Colton Traded To Avs for #37 OA Pick In 2023 Draft, signs 4-year x $4M deal

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I do believe that Sakic and Klip go way back though - like training camp in the early 90's...

Wade Klippenstein​

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born May 9 1970 -- Boissevain, MAN
[53 yrs. ago]
Height 6.03 -- Weight 219 [191 cm/99 kg]
Drafted by Quebec Nordiques
- round 12 #232 overall
1990 NHL Entry Draft
It's pronounced "Klippensteen" not "Klippenstein".

IMG_0851.png

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The best way to fix their drafting issues is this:

Sakic: "Find out the best drafting teams and figure out which players they are very high on. Then include those players high on our list. Got it? Now go. The meeting is over.". :naughty::sarcasm:

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I'm pretty sure that's what they did when they brought in Klip though. He was with Brandon of the WHL when he was hired in 2016.

The Avs atrocious drafting outside (and sometimes inside) the 1st round happened under the watch of Alan Hepple as Director of Amateur Scouting (2015 to 2021). Personally, I believe that Avs management started relying on Klip and his opinion for players like Makar and Byram and started trusting him more which led to Hepple's release.

I believe it's still too early to suggest that the Avs drafting has or hasn't improved under his watch up to this point.
So the current guy gets credit for Makar. But the guy who's gone gets the blame for everyone else who was a bust. I like it.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm pretty sure that's what they did when they brought in Klip though. He was with Brandon of the WHL when he was hired in 2016.

The Avs atrocious drafting outside (and sometimes inside) the 1st round happened under the watch of Alan Hepple as Director of Amateur Scouting (2015 to 2021). Personally, I believe that Avs management started relying on Klip and his opinion for players like Makar and Byram and started trusting him more which led to Hepple's release.

I believe it's still too early to suggest that the Avs drafting has or hasn't improved under his watch up to this point.

Klip wasn't just with Brandon either. He was their Director Of Scouting. And he was the AGM and Director of Player Personnel with Prince Geroge before that.

I would bet they had plans of promoting Klip when they bought him in. I think they were just waiting for the right time to give Hepple a shot and see how Klip was fitting in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar plans in mind for Scott Harris down the road too if they need to shake things up again. They brought him in last off season.

He's relatively young still at 36, but he was the Director of Amateur Scouting for three years with the Devils. He was there to pick Dawson Mercer who was a pretty good pick at #18.

He's listed as Director of Amateur Scouting Operations with the Avs, while Klip is the Director of Amatuer Scouting.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm probably a dick for thinking this, but I kinda just wish someone would skate up to him and knock him the F out for his hubris. Not really a teammate I would ever want to stick up for after watching that.

You know there's at least a couple of his teammates in that skirmish that don't like fighting either, but got jumped and had to defend themselves while he's screwing around.

He just skated to a safe area to make fun of everyone else who got caught up in it, and left his teammates outnumbered. All you gotta do is find someone else who clearly doesn't want to fight either and hug him. You don't gotta fight, but don't just leave your teammates outnumbered.
I like you

Reactions: Foppa2118

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Reactions: sethro109

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
It’s depressing that so far this season Comphers contract looks better. Hope he picks it up soon
not really comparable. JTC is on a scoring line and Colton is being asked to shut teams down. Colton does need to start producing more tho.

Reactions: McMetal

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
not really comparable. JTC is on a scoring line and Colton is being asked to shut teams down. Colton does need to start producing more tho.
Was actually more thinking JTC at that contract in the role he always played here seems to have better value (so far) than a 20 pt Colton. Colton needs to play at a 35-40 pt pace to be worth the money

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I remember thinking while watching the 22 finals that Colton was never going to score on Colorado. The announcers seemed to like Colton and Cirelli ad nauseum but what I saw was two offensively challenged players. Colton moreso than Cirelli but...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Great player, but so far it looks like he can't keep up in the system. He's not a very good skater so he's always behind the play even if Bednar's system is very advanced and takes time to get used to.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Great player, but so far it looks like he can't keep up in the system. He's not a very good skater so he's always behind the play even if Bednar's system is very advanced and takes time to get used to.
I wonder if him being at C full time might have something to do with his slow start. If the avs could afford to move him to wing we might get the best out of him I dunno. I like his work ethic but at some point you have to put up some numbers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anybody notice Colton has been getting the Naz treatment from the linesman? He gets kicked out of almost every faceoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad