Proposal: Roslovic for Virtanen (Proposal)

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Jake needs a change of scenery. He is not surrounded by good people in his hometown.

I think he recognizes that which is why he spent the off season in Kelowna training with Tyler Meyers.

a change of scenery will do him well

Jets would have to add here. JV has speed and size and is good for 15-20 goals on a regular year. If he ever matured and becomes more professional, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 1 or 2 25-30 goal season if given the opportunity in top 6.
Jet's don't add a thing. Similar point totals, Roslovic was drafted as/is a natural C which makes up any negligible difference in values

Reactions: Snowman

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Jet's don't add a thing. Similar point totals, Roslovic was drafted as/is a natural C which makes up any negligible difference in values

Virtanen has not asked for a trade nor is he holding out.

Jets are not in a position of power. Virtanen would be in the Jets lineup tomorrow while Roslovic would be still holding out.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

Jets are not in a position of power. Virtanen would be in the Jets lineup tomorrow while Roslovic would be still holding out.
The Jets are in a position of power, they don't need to trade him. He can sign a contract and play, or the Jets can wait until they get the value they want. Roslovic for Virtanen is a lateral move at best, which is fine, but we're not adding additional assets to take a loss just because of the perceived notion that we need to take a loss. He can request a trade all he wants, Jet's don't have to entertain it, and will do so on their own terms and either get the value they deem fit, or wait out Roslovic and have him do his part of raising his value.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
It's pretty obvious what the Jets get out of it. A heavy winger that can score more goals than a typical third liner. It's honestly not clear yet where Roslovic fits, I'd think the Jets would need to add a 2nd or something here.

I wouldn’t call Jake Virtanen a heavy winger. He is not that physical. He’s a good north south skater that can score 15 goals. That being said I’d do this. Vancouver needs to move on

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Jake has been scoring 15-20 goals while having Antoine Roussel , Brandon Sutter , Tyler Motte as his consistent line mates. He also does not play on the 1st unit poweplay.

given the chance, I think he can explode production wise for a team.

however , I do believe it’s time the Canucks move on from him as I don’t think he will ever reach his potential until he has a change of scenery.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I wouldn't want the Jets to go after a player that has been publicly called out by his coach for being lazy and out of shape.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
This is a change of scenery trade that would probably work out as a 1 for 1 for both teams.

It's close enough that neither team adds.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
A straight swap is fair to both sides but the Canucks are far too thin at rw to even contemplate this particular trade. Player for player value-wise though, it's a very fair deal, neither team should add to this trade.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It probably shouldn't but I think it does. One has under achieved from what was expected of him. A lot of people equate under achievement with lack of effort or low IQ thus making that person less valuable than someone who has achieved the same but with less perceived talent.
Nick Schmaltz/20th pick in 2014 draft was trade for Brendan Perlini/12th pick in 2014 draft and Dylan Strome/3rd pick in the legendary 2015 draft.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kinda makes some sense, but i'm not sure i'd want to do it. Based largely on how they generate their similarish production, and what other elements they bring to the table.

If Canucks were absolutely desperate for a Top-6 winger, i think Roslovic might fit there better than Virtanen does. He's more suited to playing a complementary role with better players like that. But when it comes the Canucks...if Hoglander can hold water...i like what Virtanen can bring to the bottom-6 better. With some of that "self-generated goals" factor, plus the size+speed combo, when he does decide to use it.

It's an interesting concept though. I'd want a bit of an add on Winnipeg's end if i were going to do something like that though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd consider it but no way do the Jets need to add anything. Jets likely would be happy with Jake on our checking third line with Lowry and Copp.

Players are similar value and I think Jake likely fits the role we have on the third more then Roslovic.

Not sure how Jack would fit on the Canucks.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jake has been scoring 15-20 goals while having Antoine Roussel , Brandon Sutter , Tyler Motte as his consistent line mates. He also does not play on the 1st unit poweplay.

given the chance, I think he can explode production wise for a team.

however , I do believe it’s time the Canucks move on from him as I don’t think he will ever reach his potential until he has a change of scenery.
Same could be said for Roslovic though. He is behind Wheeler and Laine on the RW depth chart. Given an opportunity he could score more.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
At this point..... the Jets need to stay the course and let him sit. Re-enforce the Power that the current CBA gives teams on players Coming off ELC contracts with no arbitration rights.

players have to know that they can not whine, about playing time and force a trade. That if they over play their negotiating hand they may not play the season. It will benefit the whole league.

If he does not play the whole season... the Jets can make him available in the expansion draft.

With Roslovics upside and still having 3 RFA controlled years it would be in Seattle’s best interest to select him.

edit.... Lemieux is a poor agent (wannabe)..... if Roslovic misses the season he should change representation in the off season b4 signing with Seattle!

Reactions: Pongs21

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
It's honestly a lateral move for both teams. 3rd line RW that could score more given a top 6 role for one of those from a different team. Both players are looking for/need a change of scenery. One player is bigger, the other can play some Center. They're both fast.

As the Jets I wouldn't add despite the fact that Roslovic is holding out. With the expansion draft we'd still have the same protection issues either way. My preference would be to trade Roslovic for an expansion exempt RHD prospect, likely drafted in the 2nd round. (i,e. Korczak from Vegas, Grans from the Kings, maybe even add to get Peeke from the Jackets, etc.) If I couldn't find a trade like that I'd see what Seattle would be willing to give me to leave Roslovic exposed in the expansion draft. If I didn't like that return than this would be my 3rd choice. Appleton is doing good in that spot so there's no rush to do anything on our end and really getting a different bottom 6 winger that is older and more expensive isn't an ideal return in my books because we have lots of Wingers that could fill that spot. If the other options didn't pan out I'd do it straight up. I wouldn't add.

The fourth option of sending a message that we won't be bullied also works for me. Roslovic has no arb rights, he is not a star player yet. He's inching closer every day to my "4 years at $1M AAV" offer or sit out the year point. We didn't blink on Kane or Trouba until we wanted to move them and got the return we wanted. This will be no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pongs21

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

He's an RFA. Any team that wanted to trade for him is entirely free to agree on a deal with him before making the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad